AT&T Users: I'm looking for a phone

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
The local stores have idiots and half of their display phones are locked ("Hey, do you know the password so I can try this phone?"/"Uhh, no...AT&T sent it to us like that").

So, in short, I need help picking a new phone. My last phone was the Pantech breeze, had it for 4 years and, while i didn't really like it, it worked pretty well and had good reception.

I just bought a Samsung Solstice II. It works ok, but is already pissing me off. It keeps unlocking itself in my pocket and doing annoying things (like starting me on some navigator service that i am sure costs extra). It also has worse reception than my last phone.

Here is what I am looking for in a phone:
MUST HAVE ITEMS:
*Has keys/screen that respond quickly (I HATE pushing/dialing and having to wait because it is so slow that it dials slower than I do)
*Camera
*Text friendly - If not a keyboard, the numpad must support predictive T9
*Must either be small enough to slip into a pocket, or be tough enough to get banged around on my hip. If it goes on hip, it must have some kind of good clip or carrying case (like SouthernLinc/Nextel phones)
*AT&T only. I have a business line on my dad's account, works out to about 10$ month.

I'm not looking for anything fancy here. Simple, tough, good reception. Not bloated full of crap (the menu on this phone has 3 pages, 2 of which are crap I don't want and cost extra.

I am NOT getting a data plan, but if one of the smart phones fits the bill well enough, I would consider paying the extra money for it without the data plan discount.

Thanks for the help people, all input is appreciated.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IPhone...you will use it for everything.

I pay bills, pictures, forums, order parts, make call, texts, Facebook, music, weather, reminders, notes, write papers and email them to myself.

Best touch screen on the market.

Honestly, I don't care how much of an Andriod user you can be, if you never used an IPhone, you won't get it. I mean "you" in general.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
IBoughtASupra;1769494 said:
IPhone...you will use it for everything.

I pay bills, pictures, forums, order parts, make call, texts, Facebook, music, weather, reminders, notes, write papers and email them to myself.

Best touch screen on the market.

Honestly, I don't care how much of an Andriod user you can be, if you never used an IPhone, you won't get it. I mean "you" in general.

I'll consider an iphone, but I am not really interested in all of the extras. All i need is to call, send multimedia messages, set an alarm clock, and save stuff in a simple calendar.

Here is the biggest thing i worry about with a smart phone: I am NOT getting a data plan. Can you disable the data part of the iphone while still keeping the regular network? I would hate to use an iphone (etc) just for my basic stuff, just to find out that it has a bunch of background apps or programs using up bandwidth at a dollar a mb or whatever.

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
The data plan really isn't that bad on a IPhone, you do have to have the data plan with an IPhone no way around that.
2GB for iPhone $25/mo this is the plan my mom and dad have, I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, but even then as you get close to the 2GB limit AT&T will text you letting you know you are close to your limit, if you do go over your limit its $10 for another GB so you can get the 2 GB plan and if you end up going over it works out the same as if you just got the 4 GB plan to start.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
iPhone is nice enough, however, better than android? No. And yes, I have both. Furthermore, it's not very tough by comparison to other smartphones on the market today. There was an example a few days back with a drop test between the 4s and Galaxy - I'm sure Google will pull that up in under a second. Then add in the issues with Apple warranty service, and you have a big steaming plate of fail. Lastly, I'm not sure about AT&T, but you can absolutely buy an iPhone here without a data connection, and just depend on WiFi.

From the looks of things, the OP is looking for a phone more than a smartphone. I'd suggest one of the 'rugged' models - http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/phones-devices/device-solutions/rugged-devices.jsp. If you do decide to go for an iPhone, consider one of the Otter cases for it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
GrimJack;1769971 said:
iPhone is nice enough, however, better than android? No. And yes, I have both. Furthermore, it's not very tough by comparison to other smartphones on the market today. There was an example a few days back with a drop test between the 4s and Galaxy - I'm sure Google will pull that up in under a second.
Not sure about that, IPhone has the best touch screen on the market and more apps. I don't even use my laptop anymore. My build thread has all quick pictures taken with my IPhone. I have dropped and cracked screens. I don't know any LCD screens with the great touch screen the IPhone has that will not crack falling from 6+ feet flat on its face.

GrimJack;1769971 said:
Then add in the issues with Apple warranty service, and you have a big steaming plate of fail.

I have had no issues with them. I made an appointment at the Apple store, went in, and then boom, new phone. Did I have an issue, no, I just wanted a new one. I said it freezes and they gave me a new one. I also have a friend who had a cracked screen and it was replaced FOR FREE.

GrimJack;1769971 said:
Lastly, I'm not sure about AT&T, but you can absolutely buy an iPhone here without a data connection, and just depend on WiFi.

No IPhone without a data plan with any carrier in the US. Maybe it is because you are in Canada, but no provider here in the US allow an IPhone without a data plan.

GrimJack;1769971 said:
From the looks of things, the OP is looking for a phone more than a smartphone. I'd suggest one of the 'rugged' models - http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/phones-devices/device-solutions/rugged-devices.jsp.

I agree, I have the simple Otter case and it has helped well enough for my IPhone. My friend has the Defender one, a soft case on the inside and a tough plastic outside. That's a good case.

OP, Get a simple phone, it seems like you won't utilize all the features of the IPhone. I still think you will like it a lot if you got one. If you have a busy life, the IPhone just helps you to stay organized.

Imagine....say "Remind Me To Pay My Bill When I Get Home" and the phone will remind when you get home....obviously you will need to have your home location set.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I wack it to Siri at night. She sounds hot.....

I vote IPhone. I love it so far.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IBoughtASupra;1769989 said:
Not sure about that, IPhone has the best touch screen on the market and more apps. I don't even use my laptop anymore. My build thread has all quick pictures taken with my IPhone. I have dropped and cracked screens. I don't know any LCD screens with the great touch screen the IPhone has that will not crack falling from 6+ feet flat on its face.
2 years ago, iPhone had the best touch screen on the market. Now, it's nothing special - the number of smartphones still using the resistive touch screens is extremely small and falling fast.

More apps? Again, 2 years ago, this was a valid point - now, we're talking 500,000 iPhone apps vs 300,000 android apps. I have yet to find anything that isn't available for either market - well, excepting adult apps, which aren't available on iOS.

The iPhone camera is ok, but it's been behind the curve for quite a while - the 4 has a 5 megapixel camera in an 8 megapixel world, the 4s is catching up just as everyone else is about to move to 10.

Did you look for that drop test online? The Samsung Galaxy was perfectly useable after being dropped from shoulder height. The iPhone was destroyed.

I have had no issues with them. I made an appointment at the Apple store, went in, and then boom, new phone. Did I have an issue, no, I just wanted a new one. I said it freezes and they gave me a new one. I also have a friend who had a cracked screen and it was replaced FOR FREE.
I was referring to their blanket "Water Damage" issues. I live in the NW, it rains around here - a lot. We also seem to have high humidity all the time. Several folks I know - and literally thousands I don't on the internet - have been turned away because their phones have water damage. The BBC quoted Apple saying that using a phone in the rain, or with a sweaty hand could be enough to trigger the water damage stickers. That's ridiculous.

It's starting to sound like the reverse is actually true here - you're judging android without real world use.

I'm not saying the iPhone is bad - and honestly, it has plenty of advantages. It's simple, extremely intuitive, and you can teach someone the interface in about 5 minutes. All the apps you need are easily available. It's common enough that you can likely borrow a charge cable just about anywhere, even in foreign countries. I bought one for my wife, and another for my mother. Personally, though, I use an HTC running android.