Are These Stock?

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
i was trying to get the trim in the back of the sup out so i could take the tail lights out, but gave up and put it all back when i realized how much it was tucked under the back seat trim and was afraid of breaking it (i'll just have to unscrew the tail lights a little uncomfortably, but that's not the subject of the post)

anyway, i pulled the hatch cover thing (the vinyl thing that looks like a shade to cover the things in your hatch) off, then pulled the speaker covers off, and saw that these were in good condition for being an 86 and thought they might not be stock...also, if anyone knew what they were/if i should replace them (if they're the old stock ones)

p349635_1.jpg

p349635_2.jpg

sorry about the horrible cameraphone quality....i was too lazy to run to my room to get the camera

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dunno if mine were stock, but when i replaced my fronts they looked like a woven cone of some type. i wanna say carbon fiber, but i know better.

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
is there a way to test them? (as in how good they are) whenever i turn the volume up to about where you would if you wanted to hear the music with the windows rolled down, quality goes downhill (i wish i could describe it better)

my mom is a sales manager for her company and deals with many other sales people from a bunch of different companies and can get me a good deal on speakers...so if i don't need to replace them, i won't (but i'll definately get subs)....i'm taking an educated guess on this, but i think the front speakers were changed too (the plastic screw covers were in the wrong holes on the driver's side and i had to change them...it could mean a number of things, i know)

OT- SM is so much better than SF

EDIT: excuse my noobishness, i have never really worked on a car before this one and won't get help until october, but i want to get as much done as i can on my own (dome lights, audio, lock cylinder) that i KNOW i can do on my own with a little help from forums

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dont worry about being new, i was last year around this time. you definitely learn a lot from these forums, and it can't hurt to ask.

so welcome to SM. and here's another idea, why not check for a brand logo on the magnet of the speaker?

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
lol...thanks...i've been a member here for a while and have over 1,000 BS posts on SF, but it's more laid-back and less "OMG FaLmE T3H N00B!"

i will admit though, SF has better off topic

i assume the magnet is on the bottom of the speaker?

kind of random, but whenever there is any bass (idk what to call it), any lights that are on dim whenever there's a thump (or w/e) does this mean i need to get an amp or something?

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
my rear speaker covers say "kenwood" on it, i dont know if this came like that or not but i also have a Alpine 6cd player in the back i know that cant be stock lol.

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
your lights dimming means you need a new alternator.
not nececarely you could just need a capasitor, my last sound sytem dimed my lights because i had like a 3000 watt amp and no capistor and it would drain like a motherfucker.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
either a capacitor or an alternator. if your lights dim and youve already got a heavy sub setup, then you'll need a capacitor. ive got two 10" audiobahns with an 800w amp and my lights are fine. i only see a flicker on the voltmeter during a heavy hit. if you're just running stock dimension speakers, then yes, it's time for a new alternator.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Clip said:
dunno if mine were stock, but when i replaced my fronts they looked like a woven cone of some type. i wanna say carbon fiber, but i know better.

Did it happen to look like this?

normal_DSC_3497.jpg

(Image borrowed from Dylan's How-To)

They look similar to my new rear speakers (kinda..)

Attachments

• access1.JPG
    access1.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 9
  • access2.JPG
    access2.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 4
  • access3.JPG
    access3.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 5

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
Clip said:
either a capacitor or an alternator. if your lights dim and youve already got a heavy sub setup, then you'll need a capacitor. ive got two 10" audiobahns with an 800w amp and my lights are fine. i only see a flicker on the voltmeter during a heavy hit. if you're just running stock dimension speakers, then yes, it's time for a new alternator.

i can't say it ISN'T the alternator, but this happens when the car is off (i haven't had the car running in a while, so idk what the condition of the alternator is....but i probably need a new one anyway)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ah. well itll almost always happen when the car is off. if i step on the brakes even while the car is running, i can see the headlights dim. never happens because of the music though.

foto, thats the exact one. what kind of cone material is that?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Well the speakers I just bought have an all weather woven glass fiber cone... but I'm not sure about the toyota ones, although it does look similar, but in person my speakers have little whole's in the cone, through the weaves.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
No. No, no, no, no. A capacitor is no excuse for a poor electrical system in your car. It's just not. There are guys who run 5 and 10kw systems with no capacitors at all. Up grade your alternator. Replace the wiring from the alt. to the battery, and to the frame (the grounds). This should fix all of it.

Also--Of course your lights are going to dim with the car off. You're drawing more juice from the battery than it can produce all at once. The alternator is not cranking with the car off to recharge the battery.

Sorry to be so hostile...but people and these capacitors get on my nerves >_<

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA

Amen to that. I was wondering if anybody going to say something about it. Capacitors are overrated and nothing more than a band aid for a properly setup sound system.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
No. No, no, no, no. A capacitor is no excuse for a poor electrical system in your car. It's just not. There are guys who run 5 and 10kw systems with no capacitors at all. Up grade your alternator. Replace the wiring from the alt. to the battery, and to the frame (the grounds). This should fix all of it.

Also--Of course your lights are going to dim with the car off. You're drawing more juice from the battery than it can produce all at once. The alternator is not cranking with the car off to recharge the battery.

a kid at my school with a 'dur'rango was like yeah, i think im gonna get two 12s but im gonna definitely need like 5 caps in the back to run em all!

i wanted to bitchslap the shit out of him, but held it back.