Anyone Painted the Plastic Trim in their cars interior?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Getting a paint job and I'm going to do the interior at the same time. I need to repaint the interior trim.... I was thinking about sanding it down and then using some sort of primer then repainting it... Has anyone done this yet? I know that some people have died their interiors for the fabric but what is everyone doing for their plastic trim? Thanks

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've used the SEM stuff as well, and it works great. As I recall, Brad / Tekdeus used it on a significant portion of his interior as well. I didn't prime mine, just used their cleaner, then sprayed the paint right on top.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I'll be changing my color... Thanks for the info guys! Going to order some now!! Can't wait to get everything together again!! My car feels like Humpty Dumpty always breaking something! lol!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How well do any of these paints hold up to scratches and chips though? I'd always imagined that the slightest bump with anything hard and you get the old color immediately coming through on you and looking crappy.

Whats the durability like?

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
over all it is pretty good. There is some material that will scratch easy but as long as you prep it it turns out good. Take a look at the picks above. Hell I even painted the steering wheel and its holding up.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

The camera actually lightened the color up a little. It looks a little gray to me in the pics but much actually much darker.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I was concerned with the durability as well, so I didn't paint anything that would be subject to wear. I'd probably try it though, now that I've used it - the paint is kind of rubbery after it dries - flexible, so it's quite durable.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah I was very pleased with the quality but more then anything I liked how it looked once I was finished. I used Satin black and it looked like it came right off the production line like that.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Mine has held up with no scratches peeling or anything for 4 years. Also I did coat mine with some clear so it looks like its armoralled all the time just for the hell of it.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
SEM does have "Plastic adhesion promoter" that can help with the peeling and lifting issue. Clearcoat is normally what protects paint from chips and scratches. I'd scuff the plastic parts with a 600grit scotch brite pad, spray it with the adhesion promoter, paint it, and clear it if you desire the glossy look. You could get all of that stuff from your local auto paint store, and not worry about paying for shipping. You can even take one of the interior trim pieces to the store and ask them how to prep and paint it. If you're not looking to spend a fortune doing this make sure you tell them so they don't just try to sell you on their most expensive stuff. Most paint stores have those SEM rattle can products.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Thanks Guys!!! I'm planning taking this project on soon! It's going to look good with black interior with carbon fiber accents and a 2J under the hood!