Anyone in the area good with R154s?!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Hey all!

Sooooooooooooooo I ripped apart my R154, replaced some damaged stuff, thought all was good, and now something isn't quite so good. When I put the front bearing retainer on, and preload the bearings, nothing will turn.

I have narrowed it down to something in the output shaft assembly, but I can't figure out what exactly. One of my coworkers was helping me try to troubleshoot last night, and he said that I should use all of my old syncros because the new ones make the 4th hub not turn..... they look identical, and I got it to turn. Of course, I can't find a shop to bring it to and ask for help, no one in their right mind would be willing to troubleshoot a disassembled transmission.

Tranny is at my shop Atomic Auto in Portland, Oregon. Hoping to work more on it this weekend if anyone cool feels like swinging by and giving some 0.02 or any suggestions. I will buy you a beer at the bar across the street, but that's about all I can offer since I am currently -$300 overdrawn thanks to my latest batch of supra parts buying insanity :-/ haha.

I will post some pictures later, but I am concerned over my old hubs and new hubs looking a little different.... or maybe I am missing something? I have the factory manual, all the tools, a press... just need some more brains.

HELP!

-Faye

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Tell Travis to help you out! He might suggest a thousand different things in 2 seconds though. He's always going a million miles an hour. Haha. ;-) If I was closer I would. How far can you tighten it down before it sticks? Maybe a thrust washer out of place?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
nosman4;2050638 said:
Tell Travis to help you out! He might suggest a thousand different things in 2 seconds though. He's always going a million miles an hour. Haha. ;-) If I was closer I would. How far can you tighten it down before it sticks? Maybe a thrust washer out of place?

Oh my god, Travis HATES my Supra. Anything to do with it, and he will just instantly tell me to scrap it and buy something electric. How do you know him? And yeah, I have taken to recording him when he talks so that I can play it back later and remember everything that he said!! Hahaha!!!

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Crush it buy a Prius! I've heard it a hundred times before..... I work at a Saab repair shop in Bend, so I have dealt with Travis on several occasions. My best guess is that you have a thrust washer out of place or maybe something not pressed all the way in to position. Start checking the parts diagram and go through everything in order until you find something wrong. How tight can you get the bearing collar before it stops? What damaged parts did you replace?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
nosman4;2050687 said:
Crush it buy a Prius! I've heard it a hundred times before..... I work at a Saab repair shop in Bend, so I have dealt with Travis on several occasions. My best guess is that you have a thrust washer out of place or maybe something not pressed all the way in to position. Start checking the parts diagram and go through everything in order until you find something wrong. How tight can you get the bearing collar before it stops? What damaged parts did you replace?

DUDE!

OUR SHIRTS EVEN HAVE THE ACRONYM ON IT:

p2050727_1.jpg

It's so embarrassing.

And you have spoken with my boss... that's even more embarrassing. Travis is special :)

I replaced the 1-2 shift fork, the 1st-reverse hub and associated syncros, and the 3-4 hub and associated syncros (not because it needed it, but because the dealership ordered me the wrong hub, and then said I couldn't return it, so I had to buy another. I figure.... new parts are better than not new parts, so ...

I also have the marlin crawler first gear thrust washer, but couldn't get it to fit! It wouldn't slide over the shaft and the pin wouldn't fit in the hole.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I had to grind on the pin when I installed the marlin crawler thrust washer, make it shorter I believe. I think the washer goes on with some tapping from a hammer and punch. What is the engraved number on your shift fork? Just curious as I got a mismachined shift fork that marlin crawler denied was wrong even though you could see a difference between the first and second one that I got. It was a fucked up he said she said situation, I proved to him it was wrong and he denied it even though I gave him the measurements. Micrometers don't lie..... Anyways..... Are you trying to get this going for PACNW? Text me some pics of the new gears next to each other and part numbers of the new gears if you still have them. 541-285-7225

Last edited:

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
nosman4;2050730 said:
I had to grind on the pin when I installed the marlin crawler thrust washer, make it shorter I believe. I think the washer goes on with some tapping from a hammer and punch. What is the engraved number on your shift fork? Just curious as I got a mismachined shift fork that marlin crawler denied was wrong even though you could see a difference between the first and second one that I got. It was a fucked up he said she said situation, I proved to him it was wrong and he denied it even though I gave him the measurements. Micrometers don't lie..... Anyways..... Are you trying to get this going for PACNW? Text me some pics of the new gears next to each other and part numbers of the new gears if you still have them. 541-285-7225

I will do that tomorrow, thank you!!!

Any, HELL NO! I mean, initially... yes I was. And god, I want to so badly. But that is really pushing it. I wish I could, though. I actually got my passport specifically so I could go to Nationals. I also already signed up for the car show at Formula Drift at the end of July... Unfortunately, I am unlikely to make either of them. I just have so much work to do, and so little time and $$. I can't wait to get paid tomorrow, I have been in the red for 3 days and cant buy food or gas :'(

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
The Marlin Crawler washer should have came with its own new pin.

When you put the bearing plate on is when things lock up? Make sure the second thrust washer is sitting over the ball correctly, it almost lines up but will bind/fracture if not set correctly.

The new hubs are a design change and essentially only ones you can get now but should not be your issue.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Raven97990;2050958 said:
The Marlin Crawler washer should have came with its own new pin.

When you put the bearing plate on is when things lock up? Make sure the second thrust washer is sitting over the ball correctly, it almost lines up but will bind/fracture if not set correctly.

The new hubs are a design change and essentially only ones you can get now but should not be your issue.

Yes, it did. The problem is that the pin styles are different.... Check out these photos:

Here is the old one coming off the shaft:

p2051240_1.jpg

Pin hole:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Old one, how it goes in:

p2051240_2.jpg

p2051240_3.jpg

Marlin Crawler Washer:

p2051240_4.jpg

Seems like it is supposed to go on sideways, because the pin sticks too far up to get the washer over the pin once installed.
p2051240_5.jpg

Was just trying to mess around with her today, and am confused. Do you grind these down? Is that normal practice?

-Faye

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Nosman, that post was for you also ^^^ you seriously ground that pin down???!? You'd think that for the $60 or whatever it would fit right ... as it is... no modifications necessary!

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
The pin is supposed to go in up and down like stock. I'm going to be building a full box with all the upgrades this coming week, so I could take a look and see if anything else makes sense. But flip the pin so it goes in like factory (up and down) and then slide the washer in. Its purpose is only to prevent it from spinning, it is not under any substantial load. The primary load is the thrust load on the washer its self.

Edit: The reason the cutout is circular instead of round, is it is a lot cheaper tooling to make it that way.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks you guys!

Just so you know.... I got it all together and it turns! I have yet to install because currently no $$ for clutch kit, but once I get that, it is going on the engine and in the car!

The thrust washer is ON happily, with modifying the pin. I think that you guys were right, perhaps I didn't hammer one of the bearings down hard enough..... but whatever happened, looks like the 5th time is the charm!

Not sure I'll ever try this again... lol :D