Anyone have a deep sounding but quiet N/A?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
gaboonviper85;1057253 said:
cre what exact muffler did you get...part#?

and how is it mounted under the car?

Stock location... except that it's several inches shorter than the stock muffler. I'll try to find the part number for you later. I'll edit this post with it.

EDIT: Borla ProXS Muffler P/N 40358 2.5" in and out. Center/Offset.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE;1057170 said:
I may try to make the meet but I've got a few things going on that may keep me from it.

I haven't gone through any large tunnels, but going under Speer always gets me some great looks.

Personally, I'd rather have a dead quiet car and TONS of power than a loud mean sounding one with barely enough.

If I go to the Toyota meet, which I REALLY, REALLY want to, I'll be dragging your ass along with me. :) I might even have the rear moulding piece by then.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
suprarx7nut;1057751 said:
If I go to the Toyota meet, which I REALLY, REALLY want to, I'll be dragging your ass along with me. :) I might even have the rear moulding piece by then.

hehe, we'll see... you down here now or in Boulder? Probably ought to take this to PM.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
CRE;1057631 said:
Stock location... except that it's several inches shorter than the stock muffler. I'll try to find the part number for you later. I'll edit this post with it.

EDIT: Borla ProXS Muffler P/N 40358 2.5" in and out. Center/Offset.
any reason why you went with the center/offset? i went with offset/offset. any real differences?

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Mine wasn't so bad back in the day. It was a custom 2.5" exhaust, crush bent, but it was made so it didn't have too many bends. It had an OBX ebay muffler, and I had the exhaust shop add a resonator as well, in addition to my stock cat. It was quiet when driving on the highway, and was pretty deep sounding.

final1wv4.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I miss that car. :(

-Matt

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
ok im looking to build my cat back for my n/a but i dont know how you would take a 2.5" tubing and bolt it to the 2.25 stock cat?
it is 2.25 right? correct me if im wrong.
also where do you guys get resonators? links would be sweet

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Stock cat might be around a 2.5 inch inlet or something but the exhaust tubing itself is definitely not 2.5 inch.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Ma70.Ent;1061965 said:
Stock cat might be around a 2.5 inch inlet or something but the exhaust tubing itself is definitely not 2.5 inch.

So long as my car is actually running the stock cat and not an aftermarket which just looks stock that is the case. My flange on both side of the outlet were disintegrating so they just cut the flanges off and welded the pipe right on to the cat.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
If anyone was wondering, I did measurements in multiple areas of my old stock exhaust. Maximum outer diameter was 2.18 inches. There is no way in hell it's 2.5 inches stock unless you have a freak exhaust :)

Either way, 2.18 maximum outer diameter is terrible, cause you introduce the fact that it is crush bent, inconsistent (in some areas I only got 2 inch outer diameter), and the mufflers are baffled.

Stock exhaust sucks, no lie.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Well I remember back in the day that one of the cheapest "upgrades" you could do was switch to the stock turbo exhaust, but that's only cause it could have been gotten for free (turbo guys usually don't keep the stock exhaust), but the thing is, it's still pretty bad because it's crushbent, etc.

I'm sure the piping is slightly larger.