Anyone have a deep sounding but quiet N/A?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I've been wondering how to get rid of the raspiness without making it loud. Anyone have a setup that they would consider deep, but not too loud?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I have a VERY smooth, deep and LOUD AS HELL exhaust.... I'm going to try adding an AeroExhaust resonator soon. On the up side, my exhaust isn't raspy at all. You would have to ask some of the other local member who've heard my car if they think it's too loud. Most people like it, but I want it a bit quieter.

TomFraser

RazoE;1056531 said:
I have this exact muffler..

http://www.procarparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=7157&osCsid=2e766df61e206c2537aef9243b24b066

with crush bent 2.5 inch piping following the stock path with no resonator....

it's nice and deep (can set off alarms when I let go of the gas), but very very silent at idle once it's warmed up, and it's quieter than stock at around 2.5k rpms

feel free to say no but i've been looking for a good sound and that muffler is a good possibility, can you record it somehow?

I understand that isn't the best way to know how a mufflers sounds but it should give me some idea...

Does anyone know of a thread where people post audio of what their muffler sounds like?

Thanks

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I run a Pacesetter catback with a Catco hi-flow cat. It actually sounds really good. It's a little deeper than stock at idle and very mellow at 3k with a slight rumble. It bolted up a lot better than I was expecting with a cheap exhaust kit, too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE's is amazing. :love: It's on the loud side, but there really isn't any drone around 2-3k rpms and there is NEVER any rasp. At ALL.

I want a similar set-up, but I dont want to just follow the leader. (so-to-speak) :nono:

I am pretty damn convinced Borla sounds amazing on our cars though. If I put an exhaust on the NA it will be a dual tipped Borla with a resonator.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
These don't really do it justice, but this is all I've got as far as sound clips are concerned:
(Copied from an earlier post of mine)

CRE said:
Sound clips: 1 2 3 4

I stripped out the video, it was too dark and the camera wouldn't focus. I must say, it's sooooo much quieter when you're in the car (not at WOT though).

The gravel like noise is the studded tires I've got on the rear of the car.

EDIT: I'm running a stock cat, 2.5" pipe and a Borla ProXS muffler.

I should add that I do not have a resonator installed right now and the muffler is a single tip... a dual tip will probably quiet things down a tiny bit more.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
What type of design does the ProXS used? I looked at summit and it says it's straight through baffled? Is it a perf. core with packing or is it a bafflepack design?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Non-biased perforated core with stainless steel packing as a damper... no FG or the like. It is straight through too.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
CRE;1056512 said:
I have a VERY smooth, deep and LOUD AS HELL exhaust....

Ditto,
but I am keeping it that way.........

I have Pacesetter headers, with a custom 3" collector.
That is followed by a short, oval case primary glass pack in place of the cat.
Then full 80mm out to the short final 6" dia muffler, with a 4" tip.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1056797 said:
These don't really do it justice, but this is all I've got as far as sound clips are concerned:
(Copied from an earlier post of mine)

I should add that I do not have a resonator installed right now and the muffler is a single tip... a dual tip will probably quiet things down a tiny bit more.
Sounds good CRE, but I want to hear it at 6500:)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1057096 said:
Sounds good CRE, but I want to hear it at 6500:)

Hehe... I've got to say that in the higher RPM and at WOT it sounds pretty mean if you're driving next to a concrete barrier or, better yet, if you're in a tunnel.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
CRE;1057149 said:
Hehe... I've got to say that in the higher RPM and at WOT it sounds pretty mean if you're driving next to a concrete barrier or, better yet, if you're in a tunnel.

+1!!!! i hear ya. i have the same exhaust as you. 2.5 inch straight through to a borla proxs. but i have no tip at all. i did my exhaust before i knew about the forums. 2 years ago. and surprisingly, i live in colorado too! have you ever taken yours into the eisenhower tunnel in i-70? i have and...damn! lol. i hope to see you in castle rock the 29th for the toyota meet. you too suprarx7nut. i've been wanting to meet your denver guys since i signed on last year.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I may try to make the meet but I've got a few things going on that may keep me from it.

I haven't gone through any large tunnels, but going under Speer always gets me some great looks.

Personally, I'd rather have a dead quiet car and TONS of power than a loud mean sounding one with barely enough.