Anyone have a 7M h2o pump fail?

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
I remember a post awhile back saying that 7m water pumps never go out, and was curios to see if anyone else besides me have one fail? did a complete rebuild and car kept overheating after 10 minutes of driving, there was a leak from the water pump from the lowest bolt, i took it off and replaced the gasket, and it still leaked bad, even worse. Fed up with it i said F it, and spent $35 on a water pump ( <3 25% discount from orielys). slapped her on and problem solved, at closer inspection of the pump most of the threads closet to the inside of the pump were stripped, someone must of torn it off before i did and did a shit job of putting it back on, and probably the reason why it had a BHG.
Also the wheel was pretty hard to move compared to the new water pump

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Mine seized on me in the summer on a highway on-ramp. I was lucky because the belt snapped and then I stalled. No overheating at all.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's a wear item, don't know who said they never fail.

Lesson learned. Replace water pump whenever you're doing a big job on the engine. Considering you paid $35, I can't see any reason not to.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1506599 said:
I've killed at least two of them... killed the bearings on one, and the seal on the other. Definitely not an immortal part. :D

Much the same results here over the years, another couple that were swapped out before failing but were limping badly.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Been lucky I guess...never had one fail. The factory one was replaced at engine overhaul even though it was fine. The replacement lasted until the end. 22 years, 2 pumps. Both were OEM parts. Fwiw there was a coolant filter on the engine from almost day one. I can't say for sure it helped but based on all the crap it caught I'd like to think so...