Anyone ever run a insulator on intake ?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gaboonviper85;1385646 said:
Driftmotion sells a similar product FYI.

That's where mine came from.....
big.jpg

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
tsuper92;1385777 said:
that look's like a piece of wood.LOL

acually some are made of wood... woods a excelent material for heat insulation... x boss runs a 2 inch wood insulator under his quadrojet that he races at New smyrna speedway... the dude the builds his carbs is a old nascar carburator man from back in smokey unicks days....he builds the insulators to..

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ.;1385668 said:
Phenolic can't take a backfire and as my intake was a wet system for awhile there I couldn't use it.

so just to clarify, IJ had trouble because of the LPG you ran? so petrol should not have the same issues right?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i used one of those cheap plastic deals on my 7mgte... who knows if it made a difference... that wooden one is rather intriguing

oh, I do recall having to re-size the holes for the runners.. don't think they lined up/were the right shape, but it seemed to hold up fine after a few years use.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
HommerSimpson;1385783 said:
acually some are made of wood... woods a excelent material for heat insulation... x boss runs a 2 inch wood insulator under his quadrojet that he races at New smyrna speedway... the dude the builds his carbs is a old nascar carburator man from back in smokey unicks days....he builds the insulators to..

the phenolic one i bought was very hard.the material seemed like it was pressed together with lot's of force(it looked layered).

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1385995 said:
phenolic looks a bit like wood LOL

Yes it does....it's like a wooden carbon fiberish type stuff....I work with the stuff all the time....walboro 255 has two phenolic plates that are the friction surface for the pump gear....they also act as the valveing....I have pics of them somewhere. Stuff is very wear resistant and doesn't burn easy! I worked at a machine shop that made air tools so I know a good bit about it...stuff is very dusty when machining and leaves a orange dust everywhere!