Anyone ever burn out a stock ecu on a 89-92 7mgte? Symptoms? Thanks!

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pretty sure I cooked my ecu one day on a hard rip. I have a stock ecu with 550's, lafm, APEX safc that was pretty cranked, walbro 255, fuelab afpr, 3" intrclr and hard piping. I have an aem wdbnd too. Running lean when throttle above about 10-20%. All symptom experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Unless you were rubbing your feet on the carpet and and trying to zap it, I doubt you fried it. Maybe if you hooked up the battery backwards, and the fusable link didn't melt quick enough.

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
So you're saying I can push that ecu to the max for a consistent rate and it will perform well? That's hard to believe. I'm not saying completely shut down, I'm saying lost all performing integrity lol

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

But if that was the case I would just rock a static coil pack on my shoes haha

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You're not going to burn out the ECU from that... You may max out what it's capable of tuning for and blow and engine, but the ECU doesn't give a crap and will be just fine.

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Well hopefully it's maxed out, because my patients is fried with the car, and wallet not to mention haha comes with the territory I guess. What are some good plug and play ecu's or stand alone ecu's that people are using?

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
maybe you should stop being a gangsta, just saying

before wasting anymore of everyone's time is wasted with silly notions that you can blow out a ECU based on how powerful your car is (lol)?

how about you tell us what the car is doing.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
the only case of broken ecu I heard about was because the guy had it plugged in the car and welded something on the car, it fried the ecu.

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
nope still got the egr, I have heard mixed thoughts on removing it, what are your opinions on it?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Don't waist your time then. Nobody ever seems to reply to my threads unless I put some crazy shit it anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Poodles;1708480 said:
EGR removed? :)

nope still got the egr, I have heard mixed thoughts on removing it, what are your opinions on it?

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

ATL88Supra;1708492 said:
maybe you should stop being a gangsta, just saying

before wasting anymore of everyone's time is wasted with silly notions that you can blow out a ECU based on how powerful your car is (lol)?

how about you tell us what the car is doing.

Don't waist your time then. Nobody ever seems to reply to my threads unless I put some crazy shit in it anyway. Running lean running lean running lean. My first reply lists some of the mechanical mods I have.

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Poodles;1708717 said:
Hmm, dunno why you're running lean at those points unless you have something goofy done in the SAFC...

yea, it was running okay, then I pulled it hard to 120 mph and it started spudderin. afr went from 12.1 at boost to 12.5 on the aem wideband. I checked the intercooler circuit for leaks but everything was tight. I never go around to making a boost leak test though. I wanna do that this week.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Devin LeBlanc;1708721 said:
What are your AFR's?

12.5 at boost but idling it can creep to 16.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Devin LeBlanc;1708721 said:
What are your AFR's?

12.5 at heavy throttle but idling it can creep to 16. It starts boggin about 10 in/hg otherwise below that it wont even bog. it's like it want's to be an NA so so bad haha

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
So its lean at WOT as well?

Boost leak will cause a rich condition as metered air is not making it into the engine..

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Whats your fuel pressure at WOT?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IDle afr is usally around 15-17. It doesnt take much fuel for it to idle.

Afc just alters the signal the ecu sees. Does not change the ecu in any way shape or form. Unless your wiring is crap and and you shorted it out somehow.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
If VF is right, ect Idle AFR's should bounce between 14.5-15.2. You can watch on a data log the AFR feedback from the O2 sensor bouncing it back and fourth.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Waist..... as opposed to "waste"

MAN-WAIST.jpg

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
hvyman;1708910 said:
IDle afr is usally around 15-17. It doesnt take much fuel for it to idle.

Afc just alters the signal the ecu sees. Does not change the ecu in any way shape or form. Unless your wiring is crap and and you shorted it out somehow.

Idle afr is new news to me but yea, I know how the afc works and all my connections are silver solder with shrink tubing..

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Devin LeBlanc;1708917 said:
If VF is right, ect Idle AFR's should bounce between 14.5-15.2. You can watch on a data log the AFR feedback from the O2 sensor bouncing it back and fourth.

I kinda thought it should be around there.