anybody done a ford 5.0 swap?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well, i have the chance to pick up another supra. with a blown 7m:3d_frown:
i also have a 91 ford crown vic with a 5.0 efi motor in it
i know stock they dont make much power... but it could with some parts.

will it fit? i was thinking richmond 6 speed or the t5 for a trans

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
if it dont work out il go 2j. just working with what i have available. big power can be made without a turbo. im talking about a cheap supra and a free running 5.0

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Probably spend more time/money getting it to 100% work and be clean than selling the 5.0 motor and getting a motor that bolts in...

I don't see why it wouldn't fit though to answer your question.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Cheap chassis is nice. Free engine is nice. A year or more of custom fab work to get engine mounts, transmission, driveline, exhaust, that fit sucks. Possibly having to cut out the transmission tunnel and weld in something larger double sucks. Having to buy all custom gauges because none of the stock ones work sucks. Trying to make a Ford ECU talk to a Toyota chassis is going to drive anyone close to insanity - unless you go standalone, then you're looking at an even bigger hit on your wallet. Want air conditioning? Power steering? Break out the wallet.

With all that said, if you like being on the bleeding edge in the fine art of automotive shoehorning, get it, and post pics.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
I believe painless makes a harness to put one in about anything, I think it'd be a fun car. You could build a shit ass log manifold and boost that thing for fairly cheap. iirc, civilian crown vics had different intakes than mustangs (faced the wrong way, less injectors? can anyone confirm?), if you do it go with explorer heads and intake for a little extra power on the cheap. Used 5.0 power parts are so cheap and easy to find these days

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
yes it faces the wrong way, megasquirt will take care of the management/wiring the gauges are a non issue(megasquirt can output to any gauge) a set of twisted wedge heads and intake from any one of the racing forums wont cost much. dont know about the injectors.. but that isnt much of an issue. get it running on the cheap , build the motor later. my main concern is overall height of the motor. and a richmond will fit anywhere a r154 will.

Spoolin

Banned
Jan 28, 2009
Hialeah, FL
My honest opinion... When you're going to do a V8 swap in a Supra...

Everybody who does a domestic V8 swap always uses the 350csb.... I've yet to see a Ford 5.0 used in a MKIII Supra.

So with that said... DO IT!!!! :) And add a shit ton of nitrous! You already have the engine there waiting... what do you have to loose?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This used to be a common swap for Miatas back in the 90's, but they've all since swapped to the GM LS engines (for a good reason). However, that said, if it'll fit in a Miata, I can't see it NOT fitting in a Mk3.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
te72;1552506 said:
This used to be a common swap for Miatas back in the 90's, but they've all since swapped to the GM LS engines (for a good reason). However, that said, if it'll fit in a Miata, I can't see it NOT fitting in a Mk3.

For what good reason? Back in the early to mid 90's we didn't have LS engines.
Ford 5.0 engine is lighter, and dimensionally smaller than a SBC. But not by much. Sure it'll fit. Tons of aftermarket for SBF's. I'd frankenstein it if I had the free parts laying around.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Or you could go carb for cheap, plus save a lot of weight... OP, what would your goals for this car be if you were to build it? Gutted and carbed with the usual bolt ons would be a blast with the 4.30 gears

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
im thinking track/occasional street car. get it running ..then source parts and build a monster to go in it. not inconceivable to see around 600hp out of a built na/nos smallblock.

i have other motives as well as it is a complete 7mgte car that is 5spd and has abs... so i see parts for my 5spd swap on the 91. may even keep the auto from the crown to use in the 5.0 car.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
do it! DO IT!!! DOOOOO ITTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And put some horns on the front of it like boss hogg's 'lac had, space age pimpin right thurr boi!!! All bs aside I think it's a fun idea and would like to see it come to fruition

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Will be interested in following this swap Fix, only you know what level your fabrication skills are and if it's within your skill set to pull off without having to drop a bundleOcoin on outside vendors for machine work.

If there's anything you need advice on don't hesitate to ask.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Hey! Too bad yall aren't in the same country 'cause you could and IJ could meet up and do the redneck rivalry thing Toyota style if you build it... anyone else running sbc supra's?