any upgraded or mapped ECU's for an 89 turbo automatic

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
I just had a Precise Transmission tranny built and installed by Mike in Mississauga and the car runs like a new beast. Only problem is that on the mustang Dyno at Splitfire it only put down 330 bhp. Some of the Mods are:

HKS – 3000 pipe, intercooler with 3" hard piping, Sport Turbo catback dual tip exhaust, downpipe, stopper 1.2 metal head gasket, SSQV bov

Greddy - Mitsubishi TD-06 20 G turbo, blue E-Manage, Profec E-01 & remote switching system, catch can, gauges: A/F, EGT, Boost, Temp

K&N type air intake filter
Mallory 4309 fuel pressure regulator
NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX plugs and blue wires
Walbro 255 lph hi pressure fuel pump
Hayden 1679 auto transmission cooler
Exhaust Depot ED hi-flow sport cat
Lexus AFM with Sonic Screw and RC 550 injectors
PWR radiator with GReddy hi-pressure cap
JDM Turbo A duct
Hosetechniques super blue hosing kit
CFX carbon fibre I/C block off plate

I still have the stock ECU and since it is automatic cannot get the AEM EMS but am just using the GReddy Emanage blue & Profec E-01 display. Someone said that they can get me a programmed ECU through one of their computer guys to swap in for my stock ECU with parametres set to my 550 injectors and Lex AFM and since I am shifting at 4000 and 5000 right now that they can have shifts set to 6000 - 6500 as well which will all improve performance and increase HP.

Does anyone know of an ECU upgrade or service provider who could do something for me. The boost is only hitting one bar with an occasional spike to 1.4 so it may need to be retuned. How much HP on a mustang roller dyno should my set up get me with 94 octane fuel? Oh and Reg Riemer no longer sells his ECU upgrades I already emailed him. AEM EMS won't work on auto MK3's so what else can I do to get around the stock settings for fuel, air, and shift? Thanks in advance.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JCFsupraman;1111854 said:
I still have the stock ECU and since it is automatic cannot get the AEM EMS but am just using the GReddy Emanage blue & Profec E-01 display.

What do you mean you can't get an AEM EMS for an auto? Funny, because a lot of guys are using one with an A340E ;)

There is no reliable way I know of to reprogram the stock ECU. You either go the piggyback route or a standalone (AEM, Motec, Stinger, etc.).

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
jdub;1111876 said:
What do you mean you can't get an AEM EMS for an auto? Funny, because a lot of guys are using one with an A340E ;)

Hmm...funny. Why would AEM even say that they don't have an EMS to support the 89 Supra Turbo Auto 7MGTE. I was hoping to hear from someone that actually has it running in their Supra so if you can tell me who you know that has the AEM EMS in their 89 Turbo Automatic I would love to chat with them or message them. Thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There are a few ways around it, easiest is to use an aftermarket Trans controller like a SupraStick or a PCS, harder is to output 3 AUX channels to emulate the TPS from the AEM to the Toyota ECT along with a temp channel on another AUX.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JCFsupraman;1112036 said:
Hmm...funny. Why would AEM even say that they don't have an EMS to support the 89 Supra Turbo Auto 7MGTE.

It's funny because I have the AEM model 30-1130 ('89-92 Supra) EMS sitting right here with the documentation + CD and a SupraStick tranny computer. I've researched this thoroughly since I have a built A340E in my car...the AEM EMS can (and has) been used with the 340E with success.
Good luck...don't bother to PM me...you seem to know everything about the AEM EMS. Have fun digging it out ;)

92nsx;1112128 said:
AEM EMS does support the A340E. They even show you (pin out) how to lock up your torque converter. It's on pg. 3

^^^ Correct! Diagram on on page 4...the AEM controls TC lock-up directly vs using the stock ECT to do so. If you look at the TCCS diagrams, the inputs to the ECT from it are switched grounds for cancelling OD or TC lock-up. Full control of the A340E is attained by using a SupraStick tranny computer like Ian suggested.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
5 speed is a no go. No room for the feet and legs to move. 6'5" and 300 lbs limits it to just the auto.
Speaking of 30-1130 I found it on Ebay and it says its just for the M/T.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-EMS-30-1130-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

same thing for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-EMS-89-92-To...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

That's why I was looking for an 89 Turbo automatic owner who had the AEM EMS in and working. Not people who had it sitting on the bench or had read the web and found it saying A/T.

Why would AEM say to me that they didn't support the 89-92 turbo auto if they did. And then two performance shops both said the same thing which is strange since most are out to sell you the product ... but maybe if they can't install it I guess they would tell me not to buy it ... do you figure? And then two ebay sellers who really don't give a crap after they made the sale be warning A/T owners not to buy the product.

So any 89 turbo auto owners running the AEM EMS in their supra right now please chime in.

Thanks for your opinions and advice to those of you who aren't 89 turbo auto owners/drivers.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Well two months have passed and a month ago I decided to go the MAFT Pro kit route. I just got the car back from Victory Racing in Chesterfield, MI.. They did the Eman, E01, Lex AFM, RC 550's remove and the MAFT Pro kit with aem wideband and boost control, aem UEGO & high imp. Nippondenso 550cc install along with dyno & tune. Added 33.5 HP going from 330 at Splitfire on their rwd roller dyno to 363.50 on an awd Mustang dyno which is supposed to be the most roadlike and provides you with the lowest yet most reliable numbers. I guess with adjustment that would put it at over 400 -425 HP on a rear wheels off dynajet. With the built auto the car pulls nice and hard now. I think I will have it dynajet dynoed just to have that sheet so I can brag about how much HP my car has now to all the guys that don't know the difference.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to this thread with suggestions. I also had the DoLuck RxB removed (sold) which added like an inch to the leg room which I desperately needed and with the remote out from the spot next to my knee it feels much better. Now just sit tight til springtime and then head to the track to run her & get some time slips. I'm thinking around 12 seconds but if anyone else has similar set up and dyno results feel free to chime in with your times so I have a better idea. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
still have the stock ECU and since it is automatic cannot get the AEM EMS but am just using the GReddy Emanage blue & Profec E-01 display. Someone said that they can get me a programmed ECU through one of their computer guys to swap in for my stock ECU with parametres set to my 550 injectors and Lex AFM and since I am shifting at 4000 and 5000 right now that they can have shifts set to 6000 - 6500 as well which will all improve performance and increase HP.

This is the first time I have seen your thread.

Run it to redline manually a few times. And it will upshift at 4800 withut the ECT button applied. It has to be pushed in. That gets you 5500-5800 shift. The shift isn't instantaneous, and that is why it is listed as speed range in the book.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
JCFsupraman;1113325 said:
5 speed is a no go. No room for the feet and legs to move. 6'5" and 300 lbs limits it to just the auto.
Speaking of 30-1130 I found it on Ebay and it says its just for the M/T.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-EMS-30-1130-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

same thing for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-EMS-89-92-To...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

That's why I was looking for an 89 Turbo automatic owner who had the AEM EMS in and working. Not people who had it sitting on the bench or had read the web and found it saying A/T.

Why would AEM say to me that they didn't support the 89-92 turbo auto if they did. And then two performance shops both said the same thing which is strange since most are out to sell you the product ... but maybe if they can't install it I guess they would tell me not to buy it ... do you figure? And then two ebay sellers who really don't give a crap after they made the sale be warning A/T owners not to buy the product.

So any 89 turbo auto owners running the AEM EMS in their supra right now please chime in.

Thanks for your opinions and advice to those of you who aren't 89 turbo auto owners/drivers.

The aem ems,does work on an auto,but very poorly !!!!,i know,ive been pulling me bloody hair out for a couple of weeks !!!!, but two guys on here have suggested the two ways to improve that me ol m8, option A/ suprastick
option B/ the auxiliary outputs on the aem ems itself, one of our mkiiisupranet guys marty bondango has suggested the latter to me earlier today,so i am relieved !!! coz ive spent fortunes on this car,then buying this aem ems from the states,with import costs, fitting mapping etc,only to be faced with possibly ditching it,or my autobox,really was daunting,and pissed me off,so listen to these guys coz they actually do know !!,i too have had tuning shops try to deter me from this ems,in favor of the link ecu,s,but i have to,and will persevere with this now !!! cheers,er i AM a uk 89t auto owner !!!!