any tips or tricks?

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
supraman666;1347715 said:
has anyone found a trick for removing the oil tube from either the turbo or block to pull the turbo out the car?

You have to remove the line from the block, its too difficult to remove from the turbo while in the car. You can get to it with a 6'' extention and a 12mm deep well socket from the bottom side; hope you have good feeling and good dexterity in your hands!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
The trick is to have someone help. get a bunch of extensions and an elbow and feed the socket up from underneath and have someone on top guide it onto the nuts underneath the turbo. Then do the bottome lines.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I always remove it with no issues. I use 1/4 extension's, and a swivel. The oil drain I can just find that too, then disconnect the oil feed 17MM. Everything is quite easy. I never remove the exhaust manifold with the turbo.

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
black89t;1347824 said:
pull the dipstick out first. it makes getting at those drainline bolts 10x easier.

I just use a 6in extension and a 12mm socket. ( a trick to putting the 2 nuts on,,,,, HOT GLUE them into the socket!!!! if you dont, you will drop them 124123152315234 times.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mastergrader007;1347914 said:
I just use a 6in extension and a 12mm socket. ( a trick to putting the 2 nuts on,,,,, HOT GLUE them into the socket!!!! if you dont, you will drop them 124123152315234 times.

I take a piece of electrical tape put it half way into the socket and then it never drops :)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
From the top, with extension + universal + deep 12mm socket on another extension AFTER pulling the dipstick as suggested. BE SURE TO PUT A PIECE OF SHOP TOWEL in the dipstick hole to keep DEBRIS from getting in!;)

Be mindful NOT to bend the hard lines (ESPECIALLY the feed line) once loose or off the car block, as they are a PAIN to line up (ESPECIALLY the feed line) banjo w/bolt! (DON'T TIGHTEN the banjo bolt on reassembly without making ABSOLUTELY SURE the copper washers are IN PLACE on both inside/outside of banjo!)

PS: Be sure to CLEAN CAREFULLY around the banjo feed line SEAT before torquing down. You don't want to damage that surface, either!

G/L!

BTW, DON'T DISASSEMBLE the hard lines from the turbo, unless you MUST clean/replace gaskets, etc... the PUT THEM BACK ON while off the car... and DON'T BEND THEM (already said) out of position, or you WILL regret it! (They are also prone to CRACK in the accordion segment if flexed much...)

I also PULL the support brace away from the turbo and against the engine well wall for better access.;)

-crisp

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
92TealSupra;1347922 said:
I take a piece of electrical tape put it half way into the socket and then it never drops :)

I chew some gum, and stick a little piece in the socket. Works great, tastes even better. :icon_bigg d
-AM3

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ I've got two of those, a bit bigger than quarters, and nearly 1/2" thick. They are awesome.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Probably neodymium. I've got one from a disc drive stuck on my oil pan. Be careful with those things ;)

I suggest something a bit smaller for socket use although the inserts made for the job are cheap. Around 10 bux for a set.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
thanks for all the help. it wasnt that bad the second time around (did hg last year). i used some rtv sealant in the socket to hold nut worked good. flex tube was from another car and was bent so that was fun still have to do supply line in the morning but turbo and oil return are bolted up. the turbo shaft moved like 1/4 inch up and down i was surprised it didnt make noise all the time just once and a while. hopefully this wont leak and turbo is good had very little play in the shaft. again thanks for all the input:biglaugh::biglaugh::icon_bigg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i went from the bottom of the car and they seemed pretty easy to get with some extensions and a swivel.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jetjock;1348109 said:
Probably neodymium. I've got one from a disc drive stuck on my oil pan. Be careful with those things ;)

I suggest something a bit smaller for socket use although the inserts made for the job are cheap. Around 10 bux for a set.

Most likely. That's a pretty good idea, likely to be much more worth while than a magnetic drain plug. (though, the drain plug you can clean off easily)

Oh, I learned to be careful with them when I was about 15yrs old. If improperly handled, they really hurt! LOL.

I agree, mine are way too big to use in a socket. I was just stating that I had some. :) The socket inserts are on my long, long list of tools to get. One day...