Anthracite mk3?!

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Since mk3's were never produced in the beautiful anthracite color, i'm curious to see if anyone else has painted there car this color? or has pics or a link to another mk3 thats been painted this color. I'm Interested in painting my car this color but before doing all this work spending all that money I want to see if its worth it. Also where could I purchase the paint from?

Heres a thread on SF for the color:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?496380-Anthracite-Supra-s-sound-off!

Thanks

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There was a brown color from the factory, I believe it also came in a 2-tone in 86.5 or 87... I forget, but it wasn't on many cars. I like the look personally, definitely stands out a bit. The anthracite paint used on Mk4's is a good color in my eyes.

Thing about paint, I've learned that even if you hate a color, it'll probably grow on you.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
As for where to get it, that's pretty easy - pretty much any professional paint place will be able to mix any stock color you want. It only gets complicated when you start straying from the OEM color specifications.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
I've also considered this as the color to paint mine when I finally get around to painting it. I would love to see it on a MKIII.

I think what Grimjack meant was when mixing paint there are certain amounts of certain colors to add along with certain metallics to mix into the paint. It gets complicated when someone goes to a paint place and ask for it two shades darker or lighter, or less brown as an example.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Any color that a car came from the factory dressed in.

So for instance, if you want this color, you can just tell the paint guy what year, make, and model the paint was on, he'll look it up in a big book, and the book tells him how much and what colors to mix to make that exact shade.

However, if you've had your car repainted a custom candy apple red, and you need a fender repainted, unless you can find the same painter AND he remembers the exact formula he used, it'll never quite match. Actually, with a candy color, even if he does remember the exact formula, it probably won't match, but you get the idea.

This is why I always recommend finding a color you like that's already on a car. Then you can always get it repaired just by telling the shop that the paint is, for example, a 1996 Honda S2000 Alpine Silver, and they can match it exactly.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for clarifying, I believe this is the color fellas. Not to mention so far I havent seen anyone have it nor near of anyone else having this color. I'd like to be unique and have a name for not only myself, but for my car in the supra community like many of you guys have done.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
They also made the Mk3 in a beige/brown (27A) color as well, that was the two tone I was talking about. :)

Anybody remember the green color that JZA70's came in? It's not on that list on that link... I know it's the color of the car my engine came from, but that's about all I remember, I can't seem to recall the paint code.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Bigzavs painted his "dark gray mica pearl" and while it's noticeably darker, I think it looks amazing/similar.. you might wanna take a look if you haven't already.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

te72;1674265 said:
They also made the Mk3 in a beige/brown (27A) color as well, that was the two tone I was talking about. :)

Anybody remember the green color that JZA70's came in? It's not on that list on that link... I know it's the color of the car my engine came from, but that's about all I remember, I can't seem to recall the paint code.

Dark Green Mica Metallic (6l9-JZA70); IMO, the best color the mk3 ever came in.. If I have to repaint my car again, that's going to be the color I use coupled with a ton of clearcoat.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Ive seen it, its similar but not the same or to me. My car is currently white its gonna take alot to transform it to this color and my interior to match, but im still debating it since im on a goal for perfection:p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dylan JZ;1674651 said:
Dark Green Mica Metallic (6l9-JZA70); IMO, the best color the mk3 ever came in.. If I have to repaint my car again, that's going to be the color I use coupled with a ton of clearcoat.
Thanks for the clarification, that sounds about right in my head. I still have the firewall plate that came with my engine, it's kinda buried in my room though. Damn good looking color on the Mk3, shame we never got it here.

kamikazemkiii;1674663 said:
Ive seen it, its similar but not the same or to me. My car is currently white its gonna take alot to transform it to this color and my interior to match, but im still debating it since im on a goal for perfection:p

Hey, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right, isn't it?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1674696 said:
Thanks for the clarification, that sounds about right in my head. I still have the firewall plate that came with my engine, it's kinda buried in my room though. Damn good looking color on the Mk3, shame we never got it here.
Sure about that? There are pictures of a LHD car in these colors floating around... I know it's rare, but it may have been available.

Alternatively, someone may have sprayed theirs this color.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
GrimJack;1674750 said:
Sure about that? There are pictures of a LHD car in these colors floating around... I know it's rare, but it may have been available.

Alternatively, someone may have sprayed theirs this color.

The only LHD cars that I've seen have been re-sprayed..

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Is that the 6l9 color you speak of? Should be stock.
060600552fc8fa_l.jpg