another fried ECU (pics and discription)

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Well, took my car out to get some brews. Get home, and its running great, park out side my garage to go open the house. When I come out to re start the car I flip the lights on and she wants to stumble and not idle at all. Pull the ecu and find this. This is my 2nd ECU. I have a sick feeling that this is some how related to my lights being turned on but who knows. Any one else ever burn these same components. I think the capicators are OK, but see the resistors by the ROMS those are obvious FUBAR. I am going to try a solder some new ones in, will post findings. These are the kind of issues that make me want to stick to working on / racing bikes!

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
ECU's can be particularly sensitive to electrical issues, check your alt etc. I had an alt go out on my SC300 and take a couple of resistors in the ECU with it.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
JonoTurbo;1290661 said:
ECU's can be particularly sensitive to electrical issues, check your alt etc. I had an alt go out on my SC300 and take a couple of resistors in the ECU with it.

That and a faulty wiring.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
thanks for the tips. What should I check in the alternator (sorry if that seems stupid) and basically the only wiring for the alternator should be a line between the fuse box and the alt. correct?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
id love to, but I could race two or three (depending on crashes) whole seasons on my bike for the cost of a motec and a tune...and I'd still have a 3600lbs car that will never actually be that practical or fast...or track worthy. I just want something with 450 at the wheels that is reliable and looks super early 90s!

I was able to discover what I think caused the issue, and once again it was 100% my fault. I think the alt. cable grounded out by rubbing on my PS pump...I am going to solder in some new resistors and give it a shot later this week and post results. If the ROMs are scrambled then I think its time to find a mines / sard ecu.

supradaddy0803

1JZ Beater
Jul 25, 2007
Athens,TX
LOL sadly my car just started this too. Low idle missing bad and white smoke. I replaced the CAPS last year and it worked fine till now. mine has burn marks just like his though around the same resistors it seems. Also it isnt the caps size I replaced them with the same size that came out. The only thing that changed was it started to do this when I got my clutch back in then it started this crap. Sad I was gonna finnally get it to the Dyno too.