Alternator relocation bracket doesn't fit??

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of a different alternator between the earlier models and the 89+, thought I knew all the differences by now.

I'll check mine Van, pretty sure it's a denso but thanks for posting that.

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before, highly doubt me and letitride are the only 2 87-88's trying to relocate the alternator. I haven't received a response from SS yet either, also received the belt that was too long and informed them of this.
Brian

letitride4life

Feb 23, 2010
kansas
Update this sunday my friend and i are comparing the two alternators to see the difference between them. I called napa and they actually have a different part no. for the 89-92 and the 86-88

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Did you measure the two for comparison? I'm trying to get one of Seth's brackets but I need something soon so I may just go back to stock or try the Beech one.

My alt. is stock, AC compressor was a Camry/Supra hybrid but we were able to simply replace the brushes when this alt. when out so it is orginal.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I pulled an alternator from an 89 this weekend and it does not fit either. Looks to be the same hole spacing as on my 88, the bracket is about 3/16" too small.

Both have a Denso tag but thinking about it, I can't imagine Toyota would have used a Bosch alternator. All the alternator's I've seen on Toyotas were always ND.

I'm wondering if the bracket was just cast incorrectly? Still no response from the retailer on this issue.

Brian

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Update on this issue:
I found that the bracket does fit an alternator from an 7mge NA engine. This alternator is just slightly smaller, measured approx. 6-1/4" bolt hole spacing vs. approx. 6-5/8" for the 88,89 and 90 turbo alternators I tried.

Still no response from the vendor on this issue but at least I've found a solution.
I did find that the ground post on my 88' turbo alternator was larger than on the 89T, 90T and 88 NA by ~1/8". I'm not sure that really matters much but I did swap the rear assembly of the alternator from the 88T housing to the smaller 88 NA housing. I can post pics if anyone would like, this isn't much more difficult than replacing the brushes. I did find it odd that the ground post was a smaller size on the other 2 turbo alternators.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Just a question to revive this thread

Is the MR2 or Digi-dash MA70 JDM alternator (I believe these are both the same) compatible with any of the AC replacement alternator brackets, LIPP, Beech or whatever else is out there

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
HKS_TRD;1700662 said:
Just a question to revive this thread

Is the MR2 or Digi-dash MA70 JDM alternator (I believe these are both the same) compatible with any of the AC replacement alternator brackets, LIPP, Beech or whatever else is out there

My jdm digidash alternator did not fit in the beech bracket but wes claims he is using the mr2 one on his so ??? Mine may have been a random alternator

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
mytmk3;1700677 said:
My jdm digidash alternator did not fit in the beech bracket but wes claims he is using the mr2 one on his so ??? Mine may have been a random alternator

If you have your old alternator handy can you measure the bolt hole spacing, I measured mine today and its a little over 6.5" so I'd say it is 6 5/8. I am not prepared to change alternator after polishing and rebuilding it, so hopefully Wes can do me a custom one to suit my alternator. I have the time to wait for it <sigh>

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
I am using a 160 mm swing radius on my relocation bracket. This is the size of the radius that was on our 88 MKIII. After I made the tooling I found out that there is another alternator that is using a larger swing. I have that larger alternator here in the shop but I do not know what year or model it is used on. The swing radius is 165 mm or just over 3/16" larger. If I make this change, I will not be able to tell you which one you will need for your year car if you order one.
Greg/Lipp

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
If the larger swing radius is common, and going by this thread it is, then all you would need to do is state the radius and buyers need to figure out which one they have

I know you would be worried about this causing confusion, but it seems that is what is arleady happening anyway

I nearly bought one and if I did it now seems I wouldn't have been able to use it.

Couldnt the top hole just be slotted so it works with both, as the bottom "slot" wont let it move up and down so the alternator still stays locked, might be worth thinking about it, then one size fits all!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its so funny you say that, Dan! I was just at SS talking with Greg and we came to the same conclusion! Greg is looking into what it would take to re-tool for it, but to be honest that would cost a hell of a lot imo.

Just my .02, but my original 91 alternator fit like a glove on the LIPP bracket. Just hate when parts change size for no really apparent reason :/

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Awesome thanks for that link

It appears we have the same bolt spacing on our original alternators.

I sent Wes a PM he is going to measure his bracket up for me

We need to figure out is it the Landcruiser or MR2 alternator that has the larger spacing and do the factory alternators have different spacing throughout the years (with the exception of our digi dash cars) which is a tall order due to the age of the cars

Still this is a good thread as we are educating the guys that make the brackets and so far it seems there are only 2 different bolt spacings

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Just roughly measured bolt spacing in mine is 165mm dimensions on the front are longest distance 190mm that's from either edge of the mounting brackets and 130mm is the opposite diameter once again these are just aprox standing above it with a tape measure and one eye closed lol

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I have been in touch with Wes and he can do a bracket to suit the larger alternator. Is anyone else interested in one?

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
HKS_TRD;1703680 said:
I have been in touch with Wes and he can do a bracket to suit the larger alternator. Is anyone else interested in one?

I would have been rather than using the small one I have now

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
I guess i'll post my end of the story. Couple of months ago i ordered a bracket from wesbeech and it "Did Not" fit any of my 7mgte alternators and also "Did Not" fit my MR2 150AMP alternator that i was using on my built motor but then it "Did" fit my 7mge NA 5-speed alternator . I had 2 7mgte alternators in my possession, 1 was stock denso and 1 was aftermarket and it DID NOT fit any of them. Then i tried the 7mge NA 5-speed alternator and it fit like a glove. From my findings i found that all Turbo 5-speed and auto 7m alternators are the same as well the 7mge auto alternators. They are all 80amp alternators. The only car that came with the smaller alternators were the 7mge 5-speed which came with the 70amp alternators.

Here is a picture of the 80amp alternator next to the smaller 70amp alternator. 80amp on the right and 70amp on the left. Take a close look at the vents that goes around where the pully is. The 80amp clearly has bigger vent gaps compare to the 70amp.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here are two pictures of the 70amp and 80amp positive hook up. If you look closely the 70amp alternator has a smaller positive hook up compared to the 80amp

Picture of 70amp positive hook up:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Picture of 80amp positive hook up:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another picture of the two side by side:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

These are the three alternators that the bracket was tested fitted on and it only fits on the 70amp 5-speed 7mge.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is a picture of the bracket test fitted on the 80AMP OEM Toyota alternator, it clearly shows how off it was.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is a picture of the bracket test fitted on the 150AMP MR2 alternator, it clearly shows it was off just by a little bit and not much but nontheless it would not work.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is a picture of the bracket test fitted on the 70AMP OEM Toyota alternator off the 7MGE 5-speed, see how perfectly it fits.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just a random picture of the 3 alternators side by side.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also if you got advanceautoparts.com and search for supra alternators for the 7M they even show pictures of how the 70amp and the 80amp should look like. Usually site like this just show some generic photo of a alternator but with changing part numbers for your car specific but i guess this time they got good and put up the correct pictures of the 70amp and the 80amp. In the description of the 70amp it states it for manual transmission, which refers to the 7MGE NA 5-speed.

P.S. Wes at Wesbeech was nice enough to let me send back the bracket and he custom re-welded the bracket so it will fit my 150amp MR2 alternator. Now it fits good.

Thanks