Alternatives to Cable TV

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
My wife and I have been discussing dropping our cable company because spending over $140 a month on cable and internet isn't sitting well with us since they like to jack up the rates on us every other year.

Where looking at our options, we love our HBO shows like boardwalk empire and our weekly cable shows like house and the walking dead, so we don't want to lose miss out on them.

I've herd many people are using netflix and its relatively cheap $8 a month with unlimited viewing of movies and TV shows, we would obviously keep our internet with the provider and stream through our built computer or laptop to the TV.

Is anybody else doing this? If so how is it working out for you? Or if you have any other suggestions I would be open to them.

jd20phill

Jun 2, 2005
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
netflix is a great alternative to cable, for a little while. I had just netflix for a few months, and after watching it for just a few hours a day over the course of three months, everything on it began to get repetitive. I then got basic cable and kept netflix for movies and couldn't be happier.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
You have a PC and Xbox360/Wii/PS3? Try PlayOn, and add scripts to it. It's very easy to do all you need is an internet connection. $50 is a lifetime license and you can stream everything from the net to your PC. Haven't had cable for a good 5+ years.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint, I have a decent internet connection, and I still find what I like to watch. However, if I were wanting to be 100% legal about it, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to to the Netflix thing. May be a bit behind when it comes to getting shows uploaded, but it's not like I don't have other things to keep me busy. I don't need to watch TV on TV's schedule. Remember when I downloaded all those X-files seasons when I was living with you guys and eating up all your COD4 bandwidth? Just now getting around to watching them. :p

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
SupraMario;1768832 said:
You have a PC and Xbox360/Wii/PS3? Try PlayOn, and add scripts to it. It's very easy to do all you need is an internet connection. $50 is a lifetime license and you can stream everything from the net to your PC. Haven't had cable for a good 5+ years.

+1. I have PlayOn and love it, just make sure you have a PC that can render HD video with ease and at least a 6 Mbps connection. I have cable but am thinking of ditching it too, and going Netflix/PlayOn.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
So the end result is I wound up going with Directv, got a great package deal for half of my cable bill, also I kept Mediacom for internet only because the only other thing that was available was qwest and I wouldn't be able to handle there 1.5mbps service... Mediacom has a 12mbps for 49.99 a month so I kept that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
DSL at $35/month and ditch your phone. MagicJack. I have the 5 year plan that cost me $60. Cable and Dish are both ripoffs, because people won't fire them and leave them off. A deal saying locked in rates for 2 years is a no go. I have arbitrarily made up a number myself. You are a consumer. Take charge of the situation. I know I know, Obama is trying to stop your authority over spending. Come January, I will be on "rabbit ears" until they do it my way.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Zerocool;1770143 said:
So the end result is I wound up going with Directv, got a great package deal for half of my cable bill, also I kept Mediacom for internet only because the only other thing that was available was qwest and I wouldn't be able to handle there 1.5mbps service... Mediacom has a 12mbps for 49.99 a month so I kept that.

You shoulda tried PlayOn...it's free for the 14 days to try it out. Believe me, it's worth it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hopefully you got a referral for the DTV thing Clint, had I known you were considering that I could have given you my parent's account number to reference. Both of you get like $10 off your bill for 10 months or something like that...

Anyway, you guys should be happy with that, if I were going for TV and didn't enjoy Netflix, that would be my next option. Say hello to the missus for me. :)