Alternative to stock power steering line

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
just as the title says. i have read before that there is a better alternative to the stock pressure line that will not bust a leak again. anybody have any info or links as to where i could purchase this?

Last edited:

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
You are talknig about the high pressure line that runs from the rack to the pump, correct? The one toyota is charging several hundred dolars for. Go to your local auto parts store. I picked one up for around sixty or seventy dollars.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
NickSupra said:
You are talknig about the high pressure line that runs from the rack to the pump, correct? The one toyota is charging several hundred dolars for. Go to your local auto parts store. I picked one up for around sixty or seventy dollars.

And it will last longer than you'll own the car !!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
There is local place here called Grannenberry's Hose Supply. I took my pressure hose to them and they replaced all the rubber in it with new braided stuff and it even has flare fittings in it so its super easy to install. Best part was they only charged me 42 dollars and did it while I waited.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Now that's what I'm talking about 90T04!
You should make a couple more and sell them. I know I'd give you $75 for it

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
psst

using SS line fitting is stupid on this application as you will be teetering at the max pressure level of the hose.

You need High pressure hydraulic hose as the nominal pressure of the power steering is about 1250 psi.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
figgie said:
psst

using SS line fitting is stupid on this application as you will be teetering at the max pressure level of the hose.

You need High pressure hydraulic hose as the nominal pressure of the power steering is about 1250 psi.

Maybe I just use better quality hose then you, because our teflon lined stainless hose in -6 size is good for 2000psi working pressure and the burst pressure is even higher. Neoprene lined hose must be what you are talking about.

Maybe Dr J is stupid, but I'm not. :biglaugh:

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
bigaaron said:
Maybe I just use better quality hose then you, because our teflon lined stainless hose in -6 size is good for 2000psi working pressure and the burst pressure is even higher. Neoprene lined hose must be what you are talking about.

Maybe Dr J is stupid, but I'm not. :biglaugh:

i'd like to get one of these hoses. seriously. $75 right? how much including shipping to 60402?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
van1684 said:
i'd like to get one of these hoses. seriously. $75 right? how much including shipping to 60402?

I'll make one up by early next week and let you know, but $75 should be do-able. I forgot the 7m one is pretty long, that is why I just need to double check, because ss line is kinda expensive per foot.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
bigaaron said:
I'll make one up by early next week and let you know, but $75 should be do-able. I forgot the 7m one is pretty long, that is why I just need to double check, because ss line is kinda expensive per foot.

I have a PS line leak as well and I would definately be interested in this as well. Thanks bigaaron!!!!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
drjonez said:
yes, i am stupid!

;)

NAH!!

bad choice of verbage.

Perhaps the correct wording would have been...

using normal SS is not recommened as operating ratings is about 1250 psi for the aeroquip,Earls and russells.

The stuff from Pro-gold and BF Goodridge is good for 3000 psi nominal.

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
bigaaron said:

is this going to bolt right in and how are you going to prevent the line from dangling and maybe coming in contact with the belt or fan?