All new Bushings: WOW!

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Just Finished my last Bushings install! It was a lot of work, im gonna say about 80 man hours between my best friend and I. Here is what I put in, the order, and the difference I noticed for anyone's future reference. Everything I had on there was stock and worn out. Bought most of the parts from Driftmotion and 2 from Toyota.

1st: Megan coil overs, Top A-arm Poly bushings
- Less body roll, less squat under hard accel, mildly "stiffer" on bumps
- I am no spring/shock guru but i am very happy with the coilover and the adjustments are noticeable and effective. Currently running 7 in front and 5 in back, but i want to play around with them some more.

2nd: Bottom Poly Bushings, and 2 toyota bushings that are not included in the energy bushing set
- I was quite frustrated Energy doesn't include all of the bushings. They leave out a single bushing on each rear corner and both of mine were bad. Its an alignment bushing and both of mine had a BUNCH of play. I am also frustrated that was not caught during my last alignment.
-Regardless, this was the most noticeable change in handling as my rear end is MUCH more predictable and tight. The car is better around turns at all speeds and feels great. Both the front and rear bushings really needed replacing and it was well worth the work.
-Fixed a clunk I had on bumps from one of the bad bushings.

3rd: Steering rack bushings.
- These didn't seem to bad, but between all of my new bushings and these I no longer and steered or swayed by strong gusts of wind. Whereas before, my car could be swayed and I didn't sense it in the steering wheel.

Overall, bang for the buck is AMAZING. The job on the other hand is no walk in the park. A tool I purchased that made the job soooo much easier/possible was an attachment for my pneumatic hammer that has a "C" on the end. With that I was able to make quick work of the lower bushings which have metal sleeves.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I did not use an arbor press for my job just a crappy old Vice and a pneumatic hammer. If you have a press that would be the way to go though.

Top bushings are a breeze cause they don't have a metal outer sleeve. The best way I found for the lower bushings was to heat up the inner metal cylinder to melt the rubber attached to it and remove that metal cylinder. Next, I ran my air tool down the outer sleeve . Once the Cut was about 3/4 of the way through the entire sleeve would just push out. As for the main air tool I used, it was very similar to this one. I got mine from a snap-on dealer truck though. You can roll/cut the outer sleeve of all the lower bushings with it.
http://www.toolbarn.com/eagle-c-680-f.html

Another option is using a hack saw to cut the outer sleeve, and I did try this. It takes a long time because you could start cutting on your suspension arm.

You can get the Energy bushing kit quite a bit cheaper at Driftmotion. It is a full kit, minus the one bushing in the rear.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
juncboi;1559222 said:
What is the name of the tool you bought? It would help alot.

I am looking at the RK's because they have a "Main Kit". Not sure but it sounds like a "complete" kit. I will call and ask before purchasing. I'm almost ready to purchase but totally not ready for the work because of what it says in the description. Here is the link: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Toyota/Supra_MK3/Suspension/Bushings

The full kit is like 700 bucks. I'd personally say buy the Energy Suspension bushing sets and then buy whatever doesn't come in those sets from RK's set. I'm pretty sure you can buy them separately

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Freshmaker;1559239 said:
It is a full kit, minus the one bushing in the rear.

Is the one it's missing the "ball bushing" that's in the spindle? There's no need to replace it with polyurethane since it's already not rubber, and I do think Toyota made it solid for a good reason.

Asterix

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
The bushing in the Red box is not included, both of mine were sloppy and in dire need of replacement.
The bushing in the yellow box is included in the energy set.

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Nice little review, thanks. I am in the process of doing the same thing. Just have the fronts left. I hope it gets rid of my drift to the right under power. First time I got my motor installed into a new shell it felt like a boat to drive. That is why I am doing all the bushings and then getting an alignment.