Airbag conversion problems

TheMayan

Sep 19, 2012
North Texas
Hey Guys,

I picked up a 2003 MR2 steering wheel and airbag a while ago and today I finally got a chance to swap it into my car! I got the original steering wheel off and the MR2 wheel on (splines matched up), but when I went to attach the airbag the connectors didn't match up.

So now I guess is there any way to make the two work together, and if not, are there any other steering wheel/airbag options available?

Thanks

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OK, I'll be kind.

Factory MKIII airbag is a first generation one, and the one you have is a later SRS airbag.

The systems are very different, and early airbags SUCK (have fun getting hurt)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. Just don't even bother wiring it up.

Just my view but I will not use a airbag. Proper seat belt and I feel comfortable.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
How's the wheel look? Pics?

I was looking at getting an MR2 wheel on ebay for mine. I figured I'd just leave the airbag there unwired... no stock airbag in mine.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
They're awesome, and I'll be grabbing one for myself eventually. Here's what it looks like in the MkIV:

2012-10-04%252023.07.40.jpg

It's actually a Celica GT-S wheel, but they used the same one in the Matrix, Corolla, Celica, MR-2, and RAV4 I believe. Probably Camry too.

TheMayan

Sep 19, 2012
North Texas
These steering wheels really do look great in Supras.

I may end up just not connecting the airbag, I just wanted to know if there was a simple adapter or something like that to make it work.

Poodles;1894591 said:
OK, I'll be kind.

Factory MKIII airbag is a first generation one, and the one you have is a later SRS airbag.

The systems are very different, and early airbags SUCK (have fun getting hurt)

Thanks for the kindness!

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Orion ZyGarian;1895212 said:
It's actually a Celica GT-S wheel, but they used the same one in the Matrix, Corolla, Celica, MR-2, and RAV4 I believe. Probably Camry too.

I can confirm the earlier model Matrix and 2000 - 2005 Celica (both have been owned within the family). If you like some color the one I had was a TRD wheel that looked like this:

TRD%20Steering%20Wheel.JPG

I believe there's also a darker blue version of the same style.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Yeah, I can get the jza80 TRD airbag wheels for like $600 in almost new condition.. I find they don't go well at all with the A70 though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Poodles;1895752 said:
Because it's brand new, rare, discontinued, and it was nearly that expensive new anyway.

Well aware. Regardless, it's still a bit too steep for me.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
.....this makes me very sad I didn't buy my car back when it got wrecked. I knew some of the stuff was rarer and sought after but I didn't think it was worth anything like this :nono:. I had the Celica TRD with the the factory TRD action package body kit and the optional red interior that I ended up rear ending someone on the way to work in the morning and insurance wrote the car off. The front was messed up, but absolutely everything behind the front quarter was perfectly fine (even the front fenders looked ok, but the hood/bumper and stuff in the engine bay were mangled)