ahhhhh!!!!! why am i still hitting fuel cut?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i have tightened all my intercooler piping(resulting in a better idle)

my boost gauge sits at 19 when i start the car and once the engine warms up it sits at 22 at idle and only moves a hair.

at full boost the boost gauge reads 10 psi

Could it be the grounds,bov,wastegate,the fact that i have 4-6mm of space between my turbo elbow and down pipe.(Ive tightened ll three bolts the best i can with a mr gasket gasket and it wont close up anymore)????

Or could it be that i replaced the stock coolant temp sensor with an aftermarket one which is running to itself .COULD this cause the ecu to make my car really rich or is that just a dumb guess?

What is it please give me some ideas.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
okay okay last time i saw ur Supra u had the Stock Wastgate right??? if so is it Shimmed at all?? Also i hope u didnt put that fake,old,broken Bov... and why is there a space between ur Elbow and Downpipe?? THey Do sell the Metal Gasket for this on Suprasport.....BY the way did u put on ur AIR Filter? LOL

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
chefma70;1463602 said:

my boost gauge sits at 19 when i start the car and once the engine warms up it sits at 22 at idle and only moves a hair.

Could it be the grounds,bov,wastegate,the fact that i have 4-6mm of space between my turbo elbow and down pipe.(Ive tightened ll three bolts the best i can with a mr gasket gasket and it wont close up anymore)????

Or could it be that i replaced the stock coolant temp sensor with an aftermarket one which is running to itself .COULD this cause the ecu to make my car really rich or is that just a dumb guess?

As long as it was the coolant gauge temp sensor, you'll be fine. The ECU uses a different coolant sensor.

Thermo Housing.jpg

Where exactly do you have the boost sensor or it's port located?

noel;1463778 said:
why didnt u just buy An OEM ECu Coolant Sensor from Driftmotion??? makes things simple for urself bro

Might want to be sure what he's talking about first. Makes it more simple for yourself ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
noel;1463782 said:
okay okay last time i saw ur Supra u had the Stock Wastgate right??? if so is it Shimmed at all?? Also i hope u didnt put that fake,old,broken Bov... and why is there a space between ur Elbow and Downpipe?? THey Do sell the Metal Gasket for this on Suprasport.....BY the way did u put on ur AIR Filter? LOL

You obviously didn't read and comprehend one damn thing he said.....

1. Gap in the downpipe he has no idea why and he said he does have a gasket
2. What's an airfilter gotta do with fuel cut

Try not to be a smartass when you're not smart..

cold air = dense air = lower boost psi before fuel cut....it's December....it's cold..

Do a boost leak test to confirm.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
everythings on and my waste gate has 2 shims on it.

and the sensor that i used is the ecu coolant sensor. not the oem gauge sensor.

im gona do a boost leak check when ever i get a chance.

i got a full time job and go to school full time its tough to find free time o check these things.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...now I'm confused. Why did you replace the ECU coolant sensor sensor?

A bad ECU temp sensor will put the ECU into one of it's fail-safe modes...the ECU will revert to a constant 80 deg C, which is in the normal ops range (80-100 C). At that point warm-up enrichment shuts down.

You didn't answer my question concerning placement of the boost sensor/port.

If you really have a gap (exhaust leak) between the turbo and downpipe:
1) that is not good
2) Yes, it will cause you to hit fuel cut early
3) Either the turbo flange or DP flange is FUBAR and needs to be fixed ASAP

I have a two full time jobs...one civilian, one in the USAFR that I can pretty much assure you takes up a huge amount of time. I seem to be finding time to try and help you...if you can't find the time to give a complete picture what's going on here (like answering my questions) and what you did (and why), it's going to be a very short time before I also will become to busy to help you.

Don't expect someone here to "magically" tell you what's wrong over the internet...it's going to involve testing. Until you provide accurate answers, it quickly becomes a wild goose chase and you start replacing things that did not need replacement. Things like ECU Temp sensors ;)

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
jdub;1464001 said:
Ok...now I'm confused. Why did you replace the ECU coolant sensor sensor?

A bad ECU temp sensor will put the ECU into one of it's fail-safe modes...the ECU will revert to a constant 80 deg C, which is in the normal ops range (80-100 C). At that point warm-up enrichment shuts down.

You didn't answer my question concerning placement of the boost sensor/port.

If you really have a gap (exhaust leak) between the turbo and downpipe:
1) that is not good
2) Yes, it will cause you to hit fuel cut early
3) Either the turbo flange or DP flange is FUBAR and needs to be fixed ASAP

I have a two full time jobs...one civilian, one in the USAFR that I can pretty much assure you takes up a huge amount of time. I seem to be finding time to try and help you...if you can't find the time to give a complete picture what's going on here (like answering my questions) and what you did (and why), it's going to be a very short time before I also will become to busy to help you.

Don't expect someone here to "magically" tell you what's wrong over the internet...it's going to involve testing. Until you provide accurate answers, it quickly becomes a wild goose chase and you start replacing things that did not need replacement. Things like ECU Temp sensors ;)

i used the ecu temp sensor location because it was a perfect fit for the nut that came with the autometer gauge. is there anything else you need answered?

im going to get a new turbo elbow because i think the reason i can tighten the downpipe any tighter is because the threads on the turbo elbow are stripped. thats my guess.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
chefma70;1466049 said:
i used the ecu temp sensor location because it was a perfect fit for the nut that came with the autometer gauge. is there anything else you need answered?

im going to get a new turbo elbow because i think the reason i can tighten the downpipe any tighter is because the threads on the turbo elbow are stripped. thats my guess.

You take advice like you sell parts:3d_frown:

you pulled an important sensor that the ecu reads and makes important adjustments with so you could have a crappy water temp guage???!! Dude.....for real?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Can only hope he's a better chef than he is mechanic... or salesman... or writer... or learner... or...

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
chefma70;1466049 said:

are you serious man? your asking for help, not reading the advice people are giving you and then you get mad and ask if he needs anything else answered? you sir should not be working on a supra. you just took out the sensor that the ecu reads and are now arguing about putting it back in so your car runs right. do us all a favor and get someone else to work on your car you obviously don't know what your doing.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
chefma70;1463602 said:

on a post after this one you stated you thought the bolts were stripped, unless there as loose and gigly as a 10 dollar whore off craigslist there not stripped. try putting a washer or two inbetween and see if that snugs it up a bit.

there are a few very good sticky's on here for ground upgrades that are brilliant, a very good idea to do....

this is a problem.. put it back to the way it was. the stock temp guage is fine. and yes it can mess with the way your car runs.....

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
88supraproject;1466413 said:
are you serious man? your asking for help, not reading the advice people are giving you and then you get mad and ask if he needs anything else answered? you sir should not be working on a supra. you just took out the sensor that the ecu reads and are now arguing about putting it back in so your car runs right. do us all a favor and get someone else to work on your car you obviously don't know what your doing.

when did i ever get mad fool?

when did I EVER argue about not wanting to put that sensor back on?
im ordering one today and im gona find a new location for the autometer gauge sensor.

what do you mean i shouldent be working on supras! I rebuilt mine from the block up. changed my fuel pump at home my rack and pinion master brake cylinder ,rotors f+r and a ton of other shit and my car runs amazing its just im hitting fuel cut and i narrowed the reason down to two causes.

im going to put the stock temp sensor back on. Im also going to get a 3inch turbo elbow to get rid of the stripped stock one.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
chefma70;1466462 said:
]Im also going to get a 3inch turbo elbow to get rid of the stripped stock one.

I would think about getting a D.P that gets rid of a elbow all together (Some day if you have the money)

Good luck fixing your problem. :icon_bigg

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
88supraproject;1466413 said:

This is where interpretation on the internet gives people the wrong idea. You kinda need to re-read what he wrote. based on the second page.

J-dub asked him to answer some of his questions, so he did. Then he was asking J-dub if he needed anything else answered that maybe would help the situation or if that answer wasn't sufficient.

You took it as: here's my answer to your question, want anything else answered you ass. then a diatribe based on that one response that this guy knows nothing about the car or anything about the supra.
Good job judging someone based on one comment.

People learn by trial and error, he made a mistake now is resolving it. Has asked for help and is heeding that advice. My god what an asshole he must be for that. :rolleyes: I kinda hate responses like yours, jump on bandwagon and shoot guy down immediately.

The internet forums; misinterpreting the way things are written 24hrs a day.