aftermarket intercooler

dtwsupra

Jun 20, 2007
michigan
Stock intercooler can hold up to 350- 400hp.If you are shootin for 800hp with a 7m-gte you need lots more mod and a good engine.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You have the regular spearco replica from them, it's the same in every aspect as far as dimesions go, as far as performance, I'd hazard a guess and say that you wouldn't feel a performance difference between the two due to it being so small of a gain by switching the two out. The have the bigger style spearco replica, which isn't a replica at all since spearco never made one like this, it's just called that as it looks very similar to the real one, except is .5" thinner, and several inches longer. Overall, it has more surface area to it versus the spearco and it's replica, you do have to relocate the stock oil cooler, no biggy, mine's bolted right behind where it was originally using an existing hold and bolt.

Intercoolers are much the same between brands, you are basically buying the name when you get a spearco. All it is, is a type of radiator so to speak.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
InFrnt0fU said:
It seems that starscream has a hand in everything I search for and always has the answers I'm looking for.

yeah, and he's usually never a dick about anything. when i was brand new to the site and to Supras, he helped me out with everything i asked about with no problems. i say we make a thread to give thanks to the man and the legend. :biglaugh:

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
kwnate said:
Check out extreme turbo systems. Dwayne and I are both using their products.

ya ets is about 10-15 miles away from where i live, ive stopped by before, but unfortunately i just don't have the money for one of their systems lol, although ive heard nothing but good things about them

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
756403_47_full.jpg

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
starscream5000 said:

Intercoolers are much the same between brands, you are basically buying the name when you get a spearco. All it is, is a type of radiator so to speak.
You hit the nail right on the head :biglaugh: !!!!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
87mgte said:
yeah, and he's usually never a dick about anything. when i was brand new to the site and to Supras, he helped me out with everything i asked about with no problems. i say we make a thread to give thanks to the man and the legend. :biglaugh:

No thanks needed fellas, just trying to help where I can. :biggrinbo

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
MAXX "stock" mount intercooler, with a RX7 oil cooler mounted to the end tanks on top of it.. (Air gap between the two, with a very small area of the oil cooler mounts TIG welded to the end tanks to keep heat transfer here to a minimum.)
Custom upper brace. (No more vertical center brace possible due to the FMIC and oil cooler, however the stock brace worked untill I added the oil cooler..) Stock oil cooler is now the PS cooler, and is down between the FMIC and AC condensor. I've retained the stock pusher fan for the AC, and re-located the coolant overflow tank next to the smaller battery.
p865095_1.jpg

Engine photo shows the 3" upper IC pipe feeding the throttle body. The 2.5" mid IC pipe comes off the FMIC, and extends into the 3" one about 6" or so.. This forms a very effective anti reversion dam.
Turbo is fed by 4" intake pipe. (T-70 Masterpower Ebay special, custom ported and coated by me.) Twin Bosch bypass valves form short cut to the throttle body off boost, improving low end engine response, and adding more flow during shifts when they need to bypass the compressed air, blowing it back onto the turbo to help keep it spooled up in theory. No AFM as this is going to be Maft Pro controlled. (Note the IAT sensor in the mid IC pipe, and you can't see the MAP sensor just behind the right headlight/core area.)
p865095_2.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
An IC upgrade will not hurt a stock CT, its impossible. The stock ct doesn't make much power because its inefficiency causes it to heat the air, a bigger better IC will cool that air, boost may drop and CFM (flow) may go down but thats because density of the air went up. This is why compressor maps are rated in LBS/min rather then CFM, CFM only works for n/a applications because ambient air density is somewhat consistent compared to forced induction where pressure and temperature cause huge differences in air density.

When air is hot it takes up alot of space, flowing high CFM of hot air is the same as flowing less CFM of cold air. Cold air nets less boost for the same horsepower because its more compact/dense and doesn't have as much resistance to flow, boost is the measure of that resistance.. thats why 15 psi on a stock ct is like 300 horsepower and 15 psi on a GT35r is like 400 horsepower its moving more air molecules in the same space or cubic foot because there closer together. another perk is since the air is cooler detonation will be less of a worry.

An IC upgrade will only help performance until the point where the compressor wheel physically isnt big enough to move any more air, OR the turbine isnt large enough to let out the exhaust.