Aftermarket Dash (motec etc) - who has done it?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I've just bought a racepak logger dash to put in my car and I want to do away with the stock instrumentation all together.

The dash looks like this...
p1784508_1.jpg

I was planning on gutting the factory panel and fitting this along with some blinkers for the turn signals and finishing with some sort of clean plastic to make it look tidy. I've seen a few pics around (IJ you did this with your SDL?) but was wondering how people firstly gutted, secondly fastened the dash in place and thirdly what materials they used.

Much appreciated!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I cut out the White plastic enough for the dash to sit in then made spacers that screwed between the SDL and the White plastic case, I made an .5mm Aluminium facia, epoxied that in place and painted it.

sdl00.jpg

sdl01.jpg

sdl02.jpg

sdl04.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
They are not hard at all. You can get the display dash with sensors or the one that will read directly from a standalone. I believe the AIM dash will read from a standalone but I am not to sure on the RacePak.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IBoughtASupra;1784553 said:
They are not hard at all. You can get the display dash or the one that will read directly from a standalone. I believe the AIM dash will read from a standalone but I am not to sure on the RacePak.

So you have to be running a standalone ecu ? Or I'm I confused about something.

Does it wire into the engine harness and dash harness ?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
IJ, thanks for that, thats the info I needed! How did you fasten the fascia in place? Also, it looks like you replaced the factory clear plastic over the top of it all? did this make reading your dash difficult at all?

IboughtAsupra: I am running a Haltech PS2000 standalone so I purchased the haltech version of the racepak dash. It plugs straight into the ECU with one CAN cable, absolutely no wiring to be done. Configureable for 4 different pages and has a built in GPS for vehicle speed and lap timing etc etc. Really good unit for the relatively little money.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
spiller;1784558 said:
IJ, thanks for that, thats the info I needed! How did you fasten the fascia in place? Also, it looks like you replaced the factory clear plastic over the top of it all? did this make reading your dash difficult at all?
Just used epoxy, my clear was brand new so crystal clear, to the extent people used to reach in to touch the MoTeC SDL thinking there was nothing there :)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IBoughtASupra;1784556 said:
No, one will need sensors to read and the other one will use the information from the standalone.

Thank you for explaining :)

spiller;1784558 said:
IboughtAsupra: I am running a Haltech PS2000 standalone so I purchased the haltech version of the racepak dash. It plugs straight into the ECU with one CAN cable, absolutely no wiring to be done. Configureable for 4 different pages and has a built in GPS for vehicle speed and lap timing etc etc. Really good unit for the relatively little money.

That's awesome

But one side question what about a ODO reading on the car?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Well, I guess 3500 for a good standalone ECU and dash which gives you all vital info is pretty good, considering Defis would be over 2K alone for 4 or so with a controller, then you have to worry about trying to read them whilst driving.

With the odo, I will lose that but the car is way past that at the moment, all it has in there is a dash and one seat haha. If you wanted to retain your odo you'd have to keep the factory speedo hooked up and then mount this either in front of or to one side. I just dont like shit hanging off the steering colum as it looks messy.