AFM Post turbo??? How could it run?

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
A local guy running a 7M AFM on his 2J NA-T. Not sure how it works. If you can't see it, it's on the cold side charge piping.
p1586195_1.jpg

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, it's a 7M afm so I think it's ok. If not, mods please move.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
vry much posible. lot of mkiv guys here do it. as long as the meter is pre TB and manifold than it would be ok. as far as kv signal accuracy to the ecu i cant be too sure.

not too sue about how that BOV is placed though. seems like its far too far out of place to be working properly

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
super.secret.supra.club;1586199 said:
vry much posible. lot of mkiv guys here do it. as long as the meter is pre TB and manifold than it would be ok. as far as kv signal accuracy to the ecu i cant be too sure.

not too sue about how that BOV is placed though. seems like its far too far out of place to be working properly

Well I understand the MKIV guys, they have map sensors. This guy is using a 7M karman vortex AFM.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Can/Has it been? Yes, but i wouldn't recommend it. The MK3 Karman Vortex AFM can only measure volume or CFM. The placement of it should be before the turbo as before the turbo the only variables to the air are temperature other then barometric pressure with altitude. After the turbo the air can be pressurized greatly changing its density and changing the required fuel per cubic foot of air mass.

MAF sensors such as "hot wire" sensors can go after the turbo because they measure MASS AIR FLOW usually in grams per second. This measurement is more accurate then the karman vortex signal and will account for boost. The higher density air will absorb more heat from the wire then less dense air.

The MK3 AFM does not actually measure air flow, It measures air speed and air temperature separately, and reports those two signals to the TCCS. The TCCS uses those two signals with other data to calculate how much fuel to inject. Because there is no pressure or density factor in the calculation the TCCS would not "see" the added oxygen content from pressurizing (increased density) the air.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Alec;1586195 said:
A local guy running a 7M AFM on his 2J NA-T. Not sure how it works. If you can't see it, it's on the cold side charge piping.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z291/ajgillett/jzz30/IMG_4316resized.jpg[IMG]

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, it's a 7M afm so I think it's ok. If not, mods please move.[/QUOTE]

The 2JZ-GE used the same airflow meter for some time. The 7MGTE, 1UZFE and 2JZGE all used the KV.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
GrimJack;1586634 said:
PS: A picture with the AFM in that location does not mean the car runs well... or, for that matter, runs at all.

What about these pictures? They were taken the same day.
p1586641_1.jpg

p1586641_2.jpg

p1586641_3.jpg

p1586641_4.jpg

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Nick M;1586642 said:
That still doesn't mean the car runs very well. A VW rabbit diesel circa 1982 can get smoke under the tire when needed.

Well the car made 300whp on 6 psi on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It can make 400 rwhp on a carburetor and not run and idle real well. The meter does not go there, and the person that put it there should'nt be around vehicles. Well, he can monkey with his own. He shouldn't tell anybody he knows what he is doing.