AEM "vs" AEM V2

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Is there any Difference between the 2 Versions?
Did they ever come out with the V2 for the 87-88 series motors?
Im looking for either one so does anyone out there have one that they are thinking about getting rid of?

Thanks
Robert

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
So do we think that this is going to be one of those " Since these are older cars we arent going to produce anything new for them type thing"

Im looking for a Full Standalone, Just cant seem to find one that isnt 3000+

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Since it's a full standalone it shouldn't matter what car its for. The only difference is that you’ll need to start from scratch instead of having a base map and other helpful things to get started. I'm not sure about the v2 AEM but that's how it works for most standalones.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Cz.;1466773 said:
Since it's a full standalone it shouldn't matter what car its for. The only difference is that you’ll need to start from scratch instead of having a base map and other helpful things to get started. I'm not sure about the v2 AEM but that's how it works for most standalones.

I think they're talking about a "PlugNpray" ecu.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Yep. Thats Exactly what Im talking about. So they arent making a V2 for our cars. I guess I will either get a V1 series or go with some other type full standalone.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supraguy31;1468837 said:
Yep. Thats Exactly what Im talking about. So they arent making a V2 for our cars. I guess I will either get a V1 series or go with some other type full standalone.

I've gotten fairly good at interpreting posts over the years ;)

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
IJ.;1468885 said:
I've gotten fairly good at interpreting posts over the years ;)

Thats why "YOU ARE DA MAN IJ....
So now Im looking for some sort of PNP Standalone. The Maft Pro isnt liking the Greddy 720cc Injectors all that well so It will be coming out and going into the for sale section with a HKS EVC 4 boost controller complete.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
supraguy31;1460415 said:
Is there any Difference between the 2 Versions?
Did they ever come out with the V2 for the 87-88 series motors?
Im looking for either one so does anyone out there have one that they are thinking about getting rid of?

Thanks
Robert

What year is your Supra? I have a deep hook-up on AEM.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Fletch124;1478334 said:
You could always look into a Haltech Platinum 2000. Heard great things about Haltechs.

Haltech is a great box, I have a customers E85 powered, mk4 driftcar running a 2jzgte VVTi with a P 2000. It worked great for his application but as far as price the AEM still has it beat. Our sale price for 87-88 AEM is 1250. I think the Haltech with the good harness and the 3 bar map sensor cost is just over 1700. The Haltech will not like the 7M igniter plus the wiring. They all have ups and downs, but for those just getting in to standalone ECU's price is a factor. Ease of use and ease of installation is the biggest factor (pug it in, tune it and drive it). those things alone can keep new comers away from Haltech's and other similar systems.

Just my .02

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Getting the stock ignitor from the 7MGTE to work with the AEM is a huge pain as - is, better to just spend the cash to make a standard 3 channel ignitor work, or go to a standalone CDI system of some sort.

the gen1 AEM can work really well, it's just very ornery, and needs to be installed and set-up just so.

Once you get the case grounded properly along with the wideband etc, and get rid of the multiplex ign. you are well on your way to having it run as well as any other system.

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
Funkycheeze;1487155 said:
Getting the stock ignitor from the 7MGTE to work with the AEM is a huge pain as - is, better to just spend the cash to make a standard 3 channel ignitor work, or go to a standalone CDI system of some sort.

the gen1 AEM can work really well, it's just very ornery, and needs to be installed and set-up just so.

Once you get the case grounded properly along with the wideband etc, and get rid of the multiplex ign. you are well on your way to having it run as well as any other system.

Where can I read up more on this 3 Channel Ignitor systems and the AEM? Also, since I'm still rather clueless about the standalone arena, what the 7M was converted to a COP set? Is that what you're talking about?

I see you're not very happy with your MAFT-PRO either Robert :D I just happened across this thread. I'm tired of weird cold start VF=0 till warm restart problems, and unstable AFR's (despite open loop).

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Read here

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100739

It is a simple way to replace the multiplex ignitor with a standard 3 channel one that matches the toyota coils (2JZ-GE or 7M-GTE) quite well, and operates them in waste-fire mode. The multiplex ignition is one of the main issues with the AEM box for 7M.

It takes alot of fiddling to get true sequential COP to work with the 7M EMS as it only has 5 coil outputs. Better to just stick with waste spark.