advice

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
is a 91 mk3 turbo for 1000 a good price even though it has a rod knock need some advice would any of you pay for it or should i go with this other 87 turbo that needs a throttle cable connecter an minor battery wires for 1300 i think the 91 might be better it has some after market part and targa top with no rust

Last edited by a moderator:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Depends on what you like, and what you can do.

Someone who isn't shy about building an engine would be silly to pass on the '91. If that's out of your league, the other one is likely a better choice.

Linchmob87

Jul 27, 2010
Bowersville,GA
GrimJack;1598919 said:
Depends on what you like, and what you can do.

Someone who isn't shy about building an engine would be silly to pass on the '91. If that's out of your league, the other one is likely a better choice.

I agree with grim jack, IF the motor is something you can replace or have the bread to spend on re-building do it. If not the other one

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Either way it's a money pit eventually, but my money would be on the 91 if it's a clean shell. :)

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
well ive decided im going with the 91 its super clean never wrecked either just gonna have to put some elbow grease and money to get it all done just any other advice on what not to do when rebuilding the lower half of the engine the upper part has already been rebuilt

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
smokey55;1599896 said:
well ive decided im going with the 91 its super clean never wrecked either just gonna have to put some elbow grease and money to get it all done just any other advice on what not to do when rebuilding the lower half of the engine the upper part has already been rebuilt
Make this your new bible, http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx and be very very picky on where you bring your engine. I've experienced a machine shop that took 2.5 weeks for overbore and rebuild to a "performance shop" that took almost 10 months for less work than the other mentioned shop. I was new to the area for the latter and got screwed big time.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Pics of either? Even though you've decided. Sounds nice man. I have a thread on a 1990 that I was looking at, but I'm waiting until I find a cleaner one. I hope the one you want works out for you! I know I'd LOVE to have a super-clean shell for cheap. If you have enough money to drop into engine and drivetrain, you'll probably be much happier with that, than with a car that isn't as nice looking over a car that runs good but doesn't look to great.

That's just me, but yeah, I'd say the 91 if you can afford a decent amount of money and time finishing off the issues it's got. Plus...less miles on the body and drivetrain maybe? and open-air running? Sounds enjoyable.

And welcome to Supramania!

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
ok then ive looked into the cost to rebuild it now ive heard about kits and im looking to do it myself so should i get a kit or is there a better way to get the parts also how would i know wich size to use .20 or .40

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

sorry .10 or .20 wrong stuff lol

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
smokey55;1600206 said:
ok then ive looked into the cost to rebuild it now ive heard about kits and im looking to do it myself so should i get a kit or is there a better way to get the parts also how would i know wich size to use .20 or .40

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

sorry .10 or .20 wrong stuff lol

Let the machine shop tell you how much you need to bore and order pistons after you find out.

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
how hard would it be to put a 2jz in a 91 mk3 turbo what needs to bedone to the tranny and will it fit