Adjusting actuator for less boost

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
What da?!? Yes, I actually want less boost :icon_conf

I know that by lengthening the actuator bar, the boost will go down and by shortening it, the boost will go up. The problem I run into is if the actuator bar is too long, it will constantly leave the pressure relief valve in the exhaust manifold open, which does wonders for spooling. Anyhoo, about the lowest I can get the boost without causing this problem is around 12.5 psi or so. I would like to have it around 8-9psi and use my boost controller if I want more. This way I can drop it down for "valet" mode if you will. I have a Greddy TD06 by the way.

Any ideas?

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Just keep a twig or small metal shaft with you at all times so you can stick it in the turbine wheel to keep it from moving...Presto...no boost.

By the way, I don't let valet's drive my nice cars. Even when my tires are changed and they need to take a "test drive" I sit at the tire shop to watch them. I learned the lesson before. If I really can't sit and watch my car I turn the trip odemeter back to zero before I leave home and write down the mileage when I get to the shop. If its been driven for more than a mile I ask the manager why. They give me a line of BS, but at least I made them aware that I was "watching them".

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Disconnecting the knock sensor will throw an engine code and make the car run like shit. ;)

Jonnymkiii, is your wastegate controller an external unit? If so, you could replace the spring with a lighter one. Other than that, you are stuck with the boost you've mentioned.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Disconnecting the knock sensor will throw an engine code and make the car run like shit.

seriously though, itll make the car run like shit if you try to boost on it, but for regular "parking the car" driving itll run fine.

PERFECT for valets! :icon_bigg

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
It's not a wastegate per se, but it is an external actuator. The length of the bar is adjustable, but as I mentioned above, if I lengthen it more than it is, it leaves the relief valve in the manifold open. I did put a metal shaft in the turbine wheel, and you are right, it took care of my boost problem :icon_razz

As of right now, I really don't want to run more than 12 lbs of boost until I can compensate properly with fuel, but I may not have a choice in the matter.