Adhesive remover for 89-90 unpainted plastic trim?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
So does anyone know of a good adhesive remover for the plastic trim on the 89 or 90 supra? Here's the culprit :nono:

"Blitz Power Book" thingamabob WTH is a power book anyhow? lol

Attachments

• blitz.jpg
    blitz.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 53

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
i had an hks one on my pre89 molding and could not for the life of me get it off without ruining the molding. Good luck! Not much help, but i ended up just switching to post89 molding.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
fuck. I guess I could just find another taillight center piece... but there's got to be a way to get that darn badge off

or I could pant it black or something.... IDK make it not stand out.. dammit I don't like that idea

my 87 had a "Toyota Sanford" (dealer) badge where the turbo logo woulda been... I didn't mind that, thought it was kinda funny, really...

I might talk to my pops... I know he deals with a lot of adhesive removers at his workplace (works on airplanes)

Attachments

• 87 hardtop.jpg
    87 hardtop.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 24

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
elbow grease = scratch/rub marks...
Heat gun and a plastic blade will help (if your careful)

There is a rubber roller for a drill that body shops use to remove tapegum from cars. It will peel off all the gummy stuff and leave the paint alone providing you dont press hard. Talk to a body shop.
Also, a really good rubbing compound will polish the light back to looking like new (again.. ask a body shop.. they can recommend if your not certain of what to use). Or.. failing that.. just talk to NAPA and tell them you want a compound that isn't really expensive (there are very expensive versions that sell you small bottles of the cheap stuff.. ) to polish your tail lights.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I gotcha... I'm not concerned about polishing. I've had a couple years of experience w/ body work. just need to get that silly blitz badge off my car, lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
good tips guys!! :) definitely sounds doable... I like the idea of the plastic scraper... only thing is... do you guys know if the trim has any sort of finish on it? or does it look the same if you were to cut it in half (of course it wouldn't look the same, but you get where I'm going)

figure I'll hit it with a heat gun lightly, and then floss... then go at with goo gone or alcohol and a plastic scraper (see if I cant find a sort-of soft one)

mstgeer

I have found "goof-off" in a yellow can works very well. Apply and let it soak a little and then gently pry with plastic scrapper or floss. I used the stuff to de-badge my black truck and managed to leave to no marks what so ever,:bigthumb: