Abnormally high oil psi

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Gah! If anyone has been following any of my threads, I finally got my car running after a rebuild. I hooked up my mechanical oil pressure gauge just now using the adapter to go to our blocks and ran copper hose all the way to my gauge. So I start it up and it goes up to about 40-45 psi at IDLE and I blipped the throttle and it went up to 60psi. I only shimmed the pump 3-4mm, other than that I have an aftermarket oil cooler but no changes to the setup really. Still the GTE filter housing running new lines to the oil cooler. At this rate I'll have about 348 psi of oil at WOT :icon_evil Any clues?? I'm stumped

-Chris

P.S. It's cheap 10w-40 (non-syn.) with an AC Delco filter I think?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
At first I thought I was gonna have an answer for you until you said...

SevenMKIII said:
Still the GTE filter housing running new lines to the oil cooler.

I had my filter relocation kit plumbed backwards and had like 80PSI at idle. Kind of threw me too. Sorted out the lines and it fixed it.

Tight clearences and a cold startup? Sorry I cant be more help, but dont dismiss it or it may end badly.

ohh yeah and my oil psi is about 50 at cold start and 1100 rpm. after its warm it drops to about 20 and hot with a 850rpm idle is down to 10. Im running a shimmed pump, NA adapter to relocation filter and a big cooler not on a thermostat.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Cold oil...Yep!

Verify your lines to the remote head are routed correctly. Center fitting (out) on the adapter on the stock filter head to the outside fitting (in) on the remote head. Center fitting (out) on the remote filter head to the outside fitting (in) on the stock filter head.

Might want to check your cooler relief valve on the stock filter head and make sure the small piston inside is not binding...it should open up at ~40psi. When you run the motor (warmed up), the oil cooler should feel warm to the touch.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Ya I guess I've had one too many 4am nights working on it, I completely forgot about hot vs cold oil. Thing is I can't keep it running well in the first place. When I checked for leaks yesterday the CPS was dumping out air because I hadn't pressed it in all the way, silly me. I'll check it quick before work to see if I had any more leaks. Thanks!!

-Chris