A340E Basic Rebuild kit

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I haven't dug in a rebuild kit in some time. But I can't see in the pack if all that is really needed is really there. Sadly, this is a nonservicable unit as far as Toyota is concerned. So we can't get parts anymore from them. I know from some ebay sellers the description being one thing, and the package being something else isn't necessarily the same. He lists the pump bushing as you can see. I would think a "Super rebuild kit" is everything. If you can, press him for info on the product. Sometimes they offer it right up.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Thing is, transstar industries still sells ALL the individual components, although i know Raybestos Blue plates have been discontinued and replaced with something else. Presumably this kit contains all the gaskets & seals needed to replace the parts that are included. Either way - to replace JUST the clutch packs and the brake band....how much time/ballache/special service tools are we talking?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Sorry for the delay. I was just cruizing the trans section today. My impression is you are more than capable, however, I don't think it is something you should try and "wing it". I don't consider the tools specialized. But that is from my perspective of working in this industry. I wouldn't do it in my garage with a floor jack. I think that is a pain the balls It would be faster to pull the engine/trans together. In a shop I would undo the top bellhousing bolts with things like my Snap on 3 foot extension. A large work bench is ideal. Like in the IPT video I put up on valve body removal.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
The kit covers just friction materials- but that generally is what wears out. I prefer new pumps over just a replacement bushing- but as far as if you could do it- take your time and follow the manual, and pay VERY VERY close attention to how you take everything apart, because if you miss 1 item, it won't work.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The TSRM lists a lot of 'special tools' that look expensive...are we talking just massive snap ring pliers i can buy anywhere, or do i actually need a lot of these tools from Toyota themselves? As you're ASE certified, i'm guessing you've stripped and rebuilt at least one of these A340's - if i'm taking my time - is it doable in a weekend?

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
Kai-

I own A340e.com and have messed with a few of them =D

It's mostly big snap ring pliers, tricks with screw drivers, and take a lot of time- What I'd recommend is maybe grab a spare box and build it for your first one- just in case something gets completely foobar you have one that at least works well enough to go back in.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
That was the plan - have the offer of a low-mileage A340E from a GT Limited that i could replace my current one with, and use that as the basis for a refresh. A manual transmission i can understand, and doesn't look too complex. The auto? My brain hurts just trying to comprehend it sometimes :p

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Kai;1776814 said:
The TSRM lists a lot of 'special tools' that look expensive...are we talking just massive snap ring pliers i can buy anywhere, or do i actually need a lot of these tools from Toyota themselves? As you're ASE certified, i'm guessing you've stripped and rebuilt at least one of these A340's - if i'm taking my time - is it doable in a weekend?

At the dealer there was a tool room for all listed tools in every repair manual. So I didn't consider them special, from my perspective.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
IJ.;1777038 said:
I did mine way back, I had to make a few of the "Special Tools" as there are a few steps that are impossible without them.

Only one that I can think of is removing the large clutch case that is held in with the 2 8mm x 1.25 pitch bolts, and the ideal method is a slide hammer to pop it out- if thats the one you are referring to- you can carefully walk it out with screw drivers on either side- just MUCH MUCH easier with a small slide hammer.