A1Cardone "Rebuilt" Steering Rack - A public service announcement.

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
Toyota Rack

I ordered a Toyota rack to replace mine that has developed a leak after 32 years :icon_bigg. When i order it my parts guy could only find one in Tennessee and one in Oregon.

So far i am pleased with it. Packing was good and there is only one small bend in one of the lines.

Looks like it is not rebuilt by the national parts people, but who knows.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 27
  • RackBox.jpg
    RackBox.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 29
  • RackInBox.jpg
    RackInBox.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Wow that rack looks 100x better than the garbage A1 sent me!
Nice packaging as well.
:thumbup:

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I didn't go through anything nearly as horrible as this with my rack when I ordered from rock auto (no visible damage and even some packing material), but I can confirm that it actually worsened performance over the rack I took out. The steering is noticeably heavier, as if it had less assist, then the old. I should have taken it back out immediately but incorrectly assumed it was trapped air or a symptom of the stainless steel driftmotion line I installed.

I'm tempted to go snag a toyota reman. How difficult is this to change without stopping the subframe? I replaced mine while installing subframe bushings...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
It's really not hard to do with the subframe bolted in. You will end up with some busted knuckles but not bad.
The passenger side bracket is tricky to reach.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
---- Calling Jeff Lange -----
Do you know who rebuilds Toyota OEM "rebuilt" steering racks?
I have a very bad feeling A1Cardone does all the rebuilds for these things no matter the supplier.
OEM's, ACDelco branded ect....

It would not be A1Cardone. Toyota's suppliers are the ones who do the remanufacturing (Aisin, Denso, etc.) for any Toyota parts that they do offer a reman on, this sometimes limits what parts have reman units available. When Toyota remanufactures a unit, they replace all wear components (whether they are worn or not) and it really is more of a remanufacturing procedure and not just rebuilding/fixing the problem it is exhibiting at the given time. As you can see in the pictures that have since been posted, they're always quality parts.

f00g00 - You can still get a overhaul kit for the booster from Toyota I believe.
PN - 04443-14520

Not all brake boosters in A70's are the same - some were made by Aisin and some by JKC (and some differed by market). Check which you have before ordering parts for it.

For North America:
04443-14520 is for Aisin boosters (all pre-89 cars, some 89+ cars).
04443-14590 is for JKC boosters (other 89+ cars), however this is now discontinued.

Jeff

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Good info Jeff.

Another question on part availability.
Where can I source a rebuild kit for an ABS master cylinder (87') now that Toyota has discontinued that item?
Any other Toyota models use the same internal components that can be adapted over?

I have an old master that just has a tiny leak.
It would be a shame to have to throw it in the trash just because a few seals are no longer available anymore.
Besides the weeping fluid it works fine.

Ended up having to buy and entire assembly to fix it.
The parts re-manufacturing companies have access to these seals and springs, since they are still selling them.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
carDON't is just junk they will re build any piece of crap that comes their way then done porly

their cv axle are just wow factor shit click right out of the box

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Good info Jeff.

Another question on part availability.
Where can I source a rebuild kit for an ABS master cylinder (87') now that Toyota has discontinued that item?
Any other Toyota models use the same internal components that can be adapted over?

I have an old master that just has a tiny leak.
It would be a shame to have to throw it in the trash just because a few seals are no longer available anymore.
Besides the weeping fluid it works fine.

Ended up having to buy and entire assembly to fix it.
The parts re-manufacturing companies have access to these seals and springs, since they are still selling them.

you can still get them but for the price it's point less

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah that was for the booster.
I am also asking about a rebuild kit for the master cylinder. (ABS model)

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah no suprise here. Don't need to explain much to them though, most see a vehicle as a throw away appliance. They have no interest in fixing let alone understanding the inner workings of a vehicle.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Good information. I have been thinking I may need to replace my rack as well but need to do further investigation though. I have significant slack in the steering that showed up immediately after replacing my engine a couple of years ago. I had planned to drop the subframe to replace the bushings so had disconnected the intermediate shaft from the rack. Well I decided to not do the subframe bushings due to being on a time crunch for Vegas and body aches and pains haha. Since then it’s has considerable slack. It’s never ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk