A1 Toe bars???

BasicMinusBA

Awesome Member
Mar 30, 2006
East Lyme, Connecticut
so last summer my subframe cracked and by now i've aquired enough money to do what i want to do with it, my question for you is has anyone installed to the A1 toe bars and if so are they worth the almost $300 or should i just get new stock ones i got the other arms from A1 which seem very good but some of the reviews for the toe kit on Horsepowerfreaks.com make me a little iffy any input will be helpful thanks

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
BasicMinusBA;1043422 said:
so last summer my subframe cracked and by now i've aquired enough money to do what i want to do with it, my question for you is has anyone installed to the A1 toe bars and if so are they worth the almost $300 or should i just get new stock ones i got the other arms from A1 which seem very good but some of the reviews for the toe kit on Horsepowerfreaks.com make me a little iffy any input will be helpful thanks

Can you give me a link to the product you're refering to please?

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
it suck's that you need to un-bolt them from the hub carrier to adjust.i also needed to un-bolt the sway bar.they did help me to get the car alligned after being lowered.no trouble with them yet,but only have 300 mile's on the car since install.

twinturbozs

Apr 4, 2005
san francisco
I installed a set. Here's my take.

The bar is slightly wider than stock, so it takes a little bit of force to get them to fit inside the bracket before you can bolt them in.

The holes for the sway bar links are too small to fit the OEM bolts and needed to be drilled out a little bit.

Of course having to remove them to adjust sort of sucks too.

I believe for $300, i expected much much more. But once installed they are nice. No more worries about sway bar brackets tearing off.

I actually may have my pair for sale soon, if i sell my car.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IJ, one of my friends designed them years ago. If I remember right, he tried it as a normal turnbuckle setup with a fixed sway bar mount. So the sway bar had to be unbolted to adjust, but that was it. During testing, he had problems with the sway bar endlinks not being vertical or as vertical as they should be after adjusting them to properly align a lowered car as well as the sway bar putting too much of a moment on the turnbuckle and twisting it.

So that design was what he came up with to remedy those problems. He was planning on redesigning them at some point, but hasn't worked at A1 for a long time now.

I should finally be getting around to redesigning all the arms soon though. I have talked about it with him and we came up with some ideas that should work and fix all the problems. I just need to get around to drawing it up and getting some pieces made. But that arm is hard to figure out the best way because of the sway bar attachment. The logical way to make it to keep the sway bar endlink in the right spot and have it easily adjustable has some mechanical design flaws that concern me, like threads in bending/shear, so we will see. I still need to draw it up and run some analysis on it in addition to the hand calcs. But at least I have accurate sway bar numbers to use.

But those arms worked for the time being and I wasn't sure if A1 was still selling them, but they still have them listed, so I guess they are.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IJ, please get out of my head.

Some type of sleeve clamp is the plan. It will allow for adjustability without having to totally unbolt the rear sway and will allow for it to be positioned properly along the toe rod. And all the other ways are a little design/manufacturing intensive and would just end up driving the price up. So I still need to get it drawn and run some numbers and see how things look. But something like that would be the plan. My only worry is it twisting the toe rod if someone does not tighten the jam nuts enough.