A Southern Supra Rebuild

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Last week I put the block into the shop to be prepped for the rebuild. The block was decked, honed, bearings replaced, rod #5 replaced, pistons checked out and cleaned, saddle straightened, and the block cleaned. The guy said the block was slightly warped and had to take some off to get it flat. I wonder if what he took off would affect the combustion ratio.

The head is next to go into the shop.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The head will have to be shaved most likely too. Yes, your compression has now changed, keep track of how much material has been taken off of both that way you can know what thickness gasket you'll need to keep things as close to stock as possible.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
starscream5000 said:
The head will have to be shaved most likely too. Yes, your compression has now changed, keep track of how much material has been taken off of both that way you can know what thickness gasket you'll need to keep things as close to stock as possible.

Doesn't neccesarily need to go for stock as possible. There isnt anything wrong with running a little higher compression

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I talked to the guy and he said it bumped the compression up to 9.9:1. Not much but the head will probably need to be shaved a little to get it flat again. Maybe I'll hit 10:1 after the head gets fixed with a thinner HG.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
wow, i never knew a chunk of cast iron could warp...7M torque!

one thing though, did you take the watermump housing in with the block when it got decked? i never knew you had to do that when i had mine decked. they need to be perfectly level together. or else the head would never go on right.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Any bore work at all? New or reused rings? Balancing the rotating assembly? I'm also a little curious about "The guy said the block was slightly warped and had to take some off to get it flat." How much did he shave? Shaving the block will make the deck surface flat, but it won't fix the block warpage. The block needs to be straight at the top and bottom, and also left to right. Same goes for the cylinder head. I might be off base here, but that's how my machinist explained it to me. And $275 for parts and labor seems incredibly low, althought maybe i got raped on my engine rebuild.
PD: Also, like crazysupra said, you need to have lower timing belt cover on machined at the same time as the deck, or the head won't go back right. GL

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
labrat469 said:
I talked to the guy and he said it bumped the compression up to 9.9:1. Not much but the head will probably need to be shaved a little to get it flat again. Maybe I'll hit 10:1 after the head gets fixed with a thinner HG.

I assume we're talking about a non-turbo engine, yes?

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
The guy who fixed my block took off just enough to get the deck flat. The amount that he took off would barely affect the CR. Something like .01:1 increase, but he said the block has been decked before. I have to take it back to get the water pump housing fitted and shaved.

The crank would have to be turned 40 so it's shot. Next week I'm going to pick up the reman crank so I can start building the bottom end. Well off to work for me....

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Hopefully this weekend I can finally get my crankshaft so I can start rebuilding the bottom end. I decided to go with a silver and black color scheme with blue accents for the motor. The block got a coat of silver with the waterpump housing, timming belt cover, motor mount painted black. The valve covers are going to be black with blue lettering.

After the block got painted and was drying a customer asked where did we get an aluminium 7m block from because he has never seen one before. It really looks like an aluminium block until you stand next to it.

I'll probably end up with a show quality motor in my beat up looking Supra.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't think Huntsville has any rednecks there so technically not all of Alabama................:biglaugh:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
This just sucks... I found a parts car for a steal of a deal that's in better condition than my car. Problem is it's has no title. It's a complete car with little damage if any.:cry:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Today was payday so I was at the bank taking care of some bills. I was speaking to the loan officer telling him about the parts car and how much I wanted to get it. Next thing I'm in his office doing paperwork for a loan.

Between the hours of 8:45am until 2:45pm I was driving to the junkyard, pulling the parts car out of the woods and then back into town. The car was about an hour or so away.

It's been a busy day for me. Tomorrow I get to see if the motor will turn over.