A Southern Supra Rebuild

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Finally got the motor pulled out of the parts car. Strange thing is that we found new parts on the motor.

New belts
New oil pan gasket
Fresh oil
Fresh antifreeze
New timing belt
New spark plugs

We are thinking that the motor was rebuilt before it went to the junkyard. If so then all I have to do is drop the motor into my car. I still have to sort out the interiors to see what I'm going to need to replace.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
jay is right hunstsville is way up there. real big city. have you every here of the space and rocket center? most advanced city i know of in alabama, or, tn, or ga, mi and maybe ky.

suprahero said:
I don't think Huntsville has any rednecks there so technically not all of Alabama................:biglaugh:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I spent the last week doing a engine-transmission swap. The good parts was that the bottom end of the donor motor was definitely rebuilt. But unfortunetly the top end wasn't. I've officially joined the BHG club.

After the motor was dropped in and wired up we turned the key and NOTHING! Which set off a frenzy of rechecking of the electrical. It turned out that someone forgot to hook up the ignition wire to the starter. OOPS! But once that was fixed and the bad gas was mixed with the 110+ octane race fuel the motor fired right up. And that's when we discovered that I had a BHG. I've officially joined the BHG club.

So while the head is in the shop getting checked out we are redoing the interior swapping out all the broken pieces with good pieces from the donor car. Once the head is done it should take less than a week to get the car running again. After that's done we get to start checking out the brakes and suspension.

I will probably have parts left over from the donor car for spares in case I need them for future repairs

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
IT LIVES!!!! IT LIVES!!!

Today I finally got the motor put back together and she turned over on the first try. I just need to fix some minor things and the motor will be done.

I few things I noticed about the cams from the second motor. Instead of having a number 6 on them they had a number 3 and when you measured the cam lobes from top to bottom there was a 2mm difference. I found no aftermarket markings on them so I'm wondering if they are turbo cams or regrinds.

Also should I leave the motor advanced 2 degrees. When I aligned the cams before taking the motor apart I noticed that the timing mark on the crankshaft was at about 2 degrees instead of 0.