A question about USA.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Well, my brother wants to participate in a trainee program that takes place in the US. The possible cities are Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Kansas, Minneapolis, Clark, Orlando, Seattle.
The wage is 30k a year, gross (How much is it into the hands?). The apartment is said to cost about 600$ a month.
My brother understands that the program isn't about making money, but he'd like to know, how well can you live with this amount of money in those particular Cities/States?
How would you rate those places (I mean are they ''good'' or ''bad''...you know :D I've heard you people saying that this or that place sucks:))

Thanks everyone :)

Jüri

Last edited:

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Houston would be my choice...plenty of diversity and 30k would allow him to live comfortably and their is a lot to do there.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
03bamaGT;1168974 said:
Houston would be my choice...plenty of diversity and 30k would allow him to live comfortably and their is a lot to do there.

I'll second that.... from a cost of living and plenty to do... the winters are pretty good too.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Dallas beats houston hands down. Better scenery, climate is better, cleaner. Night life is good also! Plus lots of MK3 supra people here.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
MKIIINA;1169011 said:
Dallas beats houston hands down. Better scenery, climate is better, cleaner. Night life is good also! Plus lots of MK3 supra people here.

Dallas is a nice city too, but I still think 30k will go further in Houston.....

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
Atlanta isn't bad, i've lived there a few years here and there. Climate isn't bad, but not the best, 30k after taxes is livable and he could live quite well with a roommate or two even better. Lots of good places to eat, shop, stuff to do, schools and various entertainment and sports.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Orlando is nice. Its warm all year. There is a lot of slummy type parts though. The money wont go far, but if hes only going to be paying rent, no car insurance or lots of bills or anything, hell do fine really anywhere. Wont be poor, but not a lot of money either.

Last edited:

??supra

Mar 31, 2005
Kodiak, Alaska
i spent a year stationed in Boston and i have to say its an awesome place. you can live right outside Boston for a decent amount and ride the train or bus into the city which isnt expensive. theres a lot going on as culture, diversity, and if you are into partying well then there you go. florida is also pretty good considering it isnt too expensive and yes it is warmer than some more northern states. but my overall opinion is Boston all the way.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Although I love Denver, I'd have to say living within Denver in a decent part of town for under 600/month is pushing it. Great town, but unless he can live ~20 miles from downtown, forget it.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Thanks, you've been really helpful :). Having a roommate is an option, but for a grown-up man , I think, it'd be usually kinda hard. But we'll see...

Keep the experience coming ;)

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
lol.. i pay 1,200$ a month in rent for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment in the northbay.

i'd go dallas... lots of cool supra people there, cool stuff to do, good weather.. etc.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
you should be able to make it in charlotte on $30k, i went chicago last year for a couple of weeks and the cost of living was a lot more than any where in nc. is your brother gonna have to pay taxes?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
As said, anywhere in the south would be good. I'd think Orlando would be the exception to that. Costs in Florida seem to be a little higher than other southern areas.

One point that hasn't been made is the fact that he isn't going to be an American citizen! He may or may not pay the same taxes we pay. He may not pay much at all in taxes, and could qualify for some government programs. It is great to not be an American in America from what I have always heard.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
^^^^ You can do the same in Seattle.. It doesnt get as hot up here as it does in the south... You also dont have to worry about Tornados, Hurricanes, or Snow to your knee caps like the other towns.. We just get rain... Surprisingly this year, its been pretty dry rain-wise.. If you're an outdoors type person, there are tons of hiking, hunting, fishing, etc up here.. Since I am assuming he's coming from Germany, its going to pretty much the same climate, so its not like he'll be having to adjust

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Average Temps

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USWA0395?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTX0617?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTX0327?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

If you like wearing shorts and sunglasses in december.... and live in the 4th largest city in the US... Then Houston might be the choice.

I don't think you said what industry he is in... If it is petro-chemical, then for sure houston...