a problem has occured in my life.

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
blackstone, massachusetts
so, i spent a few months looking at all different cars looking for one with speed but also unique to my area. After a few months i decided a supra fit that category looked into supras and decided on the mk3. I was advised to wait but i found a non turbo automatic supra in MINT condition. i love my car but now some kid in my school has a mk4 twin turbo supra. i know this is a really immature thing but mine NEEDS to be faster then a stock 2jz. he got it from his boss for cheap and it was in an accident involving the front end and was considered totalled by the kelley blue book value but the engine still worked. his enging must be a little damageed atleast? ANYWAY how can i make my 7mge faster than his 2jzgte. what kind of cost am i looking at. i want total speed over a 2jz, keeping the na engine but i am totally down for the na-t

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
i know this is an immature thing but this kid man. i thought no one els would have a supra. but ill be damned if i let anyone els at my school Have a faster one. plus doing things to the engine will help me learn about it more

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
crackin is right. just got a job to get one. how much should a 7mgte engine be. ide assume no more than 2000? i have an a340e tranny and that can handle enough power to outrun a 2jz with a 7mgte so i dont needa new tranny. will i need to buy anything seperate. im askin here instead of my father and shops around me because u guys know more about supras than just cars in general

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
airhead04;1920201 said:
Sell the car and become more mature. No offense. You sound like your going to be the guy on the 5 o'clock news that wrapped his car around a tree.

+1

If you want a quicker car, I suggust getting yourself into a 7mgte, 1j, or 2j swap. then bump up the boost and have fun, but be careful.

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
no none taken. But sir, this supra is my BABY! i love it. shes mine. im not seeling it to anyone. and im not selling the engine to balance the price of a gte im keepin that too cuz its part of her. this is going to be stored in a garage when im older and it will be memories. I WONT SELL IT. and theres too many guard rails on the highwaysnear me to wrap myself around a tree anyway

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
dpkeefe11;1920206 said:
and emer. 7m powered for me

7mgte is a 7m.

I believe you mean GE? In that case, your going to loose every time. you could put a turbo on it, but it will not be very reliable.

Also please use full sentences, or at least spell things the right way to make it easier on everyone to read.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
dpkeefe11;1920212 said:
haha no i meant 7m. like if i were to swap i would go 7mgte unless i got a nice deal on a jz

Well, if you want to play around with any 2j's you better slap a turbo on your car, or go gte and do some modifications. Of course this whole thread should actually not be on here, as you should have been able to research and figure out all of this by yourself.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
you're looking at a lot of work.... highly recommend swapping to a r-154 trans, also ignition upgrade, fuel system upgrade, turbo installation, decking your head/block w/ MHG install, and engine management upgrade (NOT piggyback)... with all that you SHOULD have no issue making enough power... most importantly SAFELY of course you will want a LSD if you don't have one

so... all in all, that's a shit load of stuff you need done, are you ready to break the bank?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
best advice I can give you is to sell your Supra and pick up one that had a GOOD 2jz swap with a single turbo. Pick one up for between 6k to 9k and save yourself a ton of money and headache.
The key is... as rustfree as possible (the body can cause you headaches later on if you dont know what to look for.. ), straight and decent paint. Anyone can do a swap... few can do it properly and cleanly.

I am on my 5th year of buying parts and upgrades for my Supra and if I could do it all over again I would have bought a complete Supra, saved myself 20-30,000 bucks and just maintained it and improved it over a long period of time (just to personalize it).

If your going to run against a MKIV though, make sure your brakes are solid first... then make sure your suspension is in excellent condition. Stupid people drive as fast as these cars can go without checking if they can stop or stay on the road. Then make sure you have rubber on the car that can hold the road at high speeds. Once those are taken care of then you can look at upping your power.

7MGE wont do it though, you have to swap to 7MGTE or a JZ variant. That means wiring, possible transmission changes, fuel pump upgrade, and a lot of other niggly things. If your a strong mechanic with a good understanding of the car you may be able to get all of this done for 3000 - 6000.00. If not.. think higher... lol.

Then your injectors and deciding on what type of engine management you want.. standalone, piggybacks, etc.. etc... a stock MK3 isn't up to holding its own against a MKIV for obvious reasons.

You will read a lot of stories about excellent builds and you will notice that they do not discuss costs generally speaking. I did all my bills last week for over 5 years and consider myself lucky that my insurance car is covering my car for 40,000.00. as it sits right now. Once the new appraisal comes in, it will probably only be insured for about 30,000 'ish... (if I'm lucky) but if I were to try to sell it.. I would be lucky to get over 10,000.00. (not many will shell that type of coin out for a MK3). Luckily, I have no plans on ever selling my baby. However... I have already raised 6 kids, have 4 grandkids and can afford to be a little stupid on my "parenting reward" that I passed up in the 80's....

Lots of props for wanting to do it, but realistically??? Your not thinking straight.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
in contest to what gradavi is stating, there is nothing like building a car from it's status of bone stock... although quite costly, if you want to save yourself a headache you'll do what he says... if you like doing things the hard way, then you'll build it all to hell using your brains, brawn, and resources (and beat that 2j w/ your 7m) although to be quite honest, you should be happy with your car the way it is, unless you honestly aren't (no other people/cars considered) you're just on an ego trip, feeding it's insanity

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well yeah... There is a reason I own a mk3.... If your going to build it yourself, just make sure you do it right. But don't expect to beat a mkiv in 2 weeks. I don't know if I could after 5 years... Lol.

And don't forget that if its your daily driver, you won't have it while its apart

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
89jdm7m;1920239 said:
you're looking at a lot of work.... highly recommend swapping to a r-154 trans, also ignition upgrade, fuel system upgrade, turbo installation, decking your head/block w/ MHG install, and engine management upgrade (NOT piggyback)... with all that you SHOULD have no issue making enough power... most importantly SAFELY of course you will want a LSD if you don't have one

so... all in all, that's a shit load of stuff you need done, are you ready to break the bank?

What he said.
There is a very simple and easily forgotten truism out there that every guy thinks he can get around, but no one can:
"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Grandavi;1920306 said:
Well yeah... There is a reason I own a mk3.... If your going to build it yourself, just make sure you do it right. But don't expect to beat a mkiv in 2 weeks. I don't know if I could after 5 years... Lol.

And don't forget that if its your daily driver, you won't have it while its apart

This too.
By the time you get your car set up to beat that kid, he will have already totalled his or even worse, modded it with a single turbo. ;)
If you wanna beat that guy down, just trash him for having a salvage title. LOL.