a problem has occured in my life.

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
blackstone, massachusetts
im proud of my car. u guys are right. one day ill have oalot of money into it. ill even start now. but with other peoiple and cars aside i do lvoe my car. and i am VERY happy with what i have. im glad my dad bought it for me because its what i wanted and it is sorta selfish to be jelous of the faster one. but am i at all understood how shitty it is for me to brag about my unique car to see someone get another one. but yes im happy with my car. i love it so much

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The reason I own a MK3 as opposed to a MKIV is simply because the MKIV is more european looking. The MKIV is a better built car overall (as well as newer), however the MK3 has a beefier muscle look about it. I consider my car a Japanese Corvette really. Considered moving into a MKIV instead of upgrading mine, however in the end, I like the body lines and the "heavy" look of my car better. It feels more "classic". Speed is relative really. Tons of cars that can beat me on the road, but my car has the capability of running with the "big boys" if I wanted to go that far. Its just not worth it money wise. I get all the statisfaction I need when doing a quick pull when merging into traffic or passing a vehicle on the highway. Tires light up easily if I want to, but I have found that to be a bit expensive now... so I avoid it.. lol.
A 1988 Toyota Supra is a rare event really as the technology may be a bit old, but is still on par with what is on the road today. Very advance for its age and leaves most people with a little jealous tinge when they see it. You dont see many on the road so its always an eye catcher. I like the look of the newer (redone) Dodge Challenger, Camaro and Mustangs, but prefer my car for overall quality of build and uniqueness. Anyone can go out and buy a Camaro... few can buy a MkIII and actually have it on the road. The more time passes, the rarer they get.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
very true... I simply find the mk3 has a lot of character (more-so than the mk4 IMO) I love the smell of 80's toyota when I sit in my car, that and 80's green gauges? how can you go wrong?!?! :naughty: and I just love the cars from that time period (imports at least) ae86, r32, fc rx7, 1st gen NSX, e30, ect... just the styling of the time period is unique and highly appealing to me... but, yes... that supra is basically a japanese corvette... now that I think about it... what I said about imports isn't true. I love the 80's trans ams for some reason although they make crap for power, the Regal T-types (GN, GNX), vettes, ect...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ever notice there aren't many 80 T/A's around anymore? My sister had one.. 305 in it and it hopped.. but overall was unimpressed with the cheap thrown together feel of it. Would rather have the 70's version... (as long as you didn't use the bumper spot for jacking up the car.. lol)

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
dpkeefe11;1920186 said:
mine NEEDS to be faster then a stock 2jz.

GTE with exhaust, intake, IC, and piping will put you pretty close to beating a stock 2j...but like others have said make sure your brakes and suspension are up to handling the increased power

This is about all I have engine wise and I can keep up with my dad’s 06 GTO until 3rd...Then he pulls on me.

But it sounds like you are in high school (on offense if I am wrong)...by the time you get a swap and all your mods done you will probably be graduated and never see this guy again.

If I were you I would take the time and do the little things to your car...make it run great, do all the preventative maintenance, fix little dents and/or chips, keep it waxed and polished, make it nice and comfortable to be in (maybe add some sound deadening to make it a nice quiet ride). Your mk3 is gonna look pretty awesome compared to his MK4 when his breaks down and he is bumming rides to school. And I don’t know what it is but the ladies seem to love the 80's Jap sports cars (if it is comfortable to be in)...and their fathers love em too cause they bring back memories

I have driven a lot of modern high performance cars...and there is nothing compared to driving an 80's Jap sports car...just that feel and engine response and crispness of the gears...and like 89jdm7m said...the smell. So just enjoy yours...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
that reminded me... my son's girlfriend's dad came to pick her up and my car was out front. My son (who will inherit the car when I shuffle off this mortal coil) told me he got out and was walking around it asking "wonder who owns this"...

I have had so many people come over to the car asking to buy it.. and of course dejected when I said sure... if you want to give me about 50 grand you can drive it away... otherwise.. not a chance :p
(a little sidenote... nobody has ever said yet.. "that car is not worth 50 grand". They wont pay it, but they dont say that either... )

98BlakTacoma

Jun 1, 2012
Sterling
I'm a new owner myself and i have a 89 targa n/a 5 speed, yes i love the thrill of speed but i understand that it will come over time but right now enjoy it cause grandavi is absolutely right you don't see mkIIIs on the road a lot so its a head turner in itself no matter turbo or non turbo

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Grandavi;1920653 said:
that reminded me... my son's girlfriend's dad came to pick her up and my car was out front. My son (who will inherit the car when I shuffle off this mortal coil) told me he got out and was walking around it asking "wonder who owns this"...

I have had so many people come over to the car asking to buy it.. and of course dejected when I said sure... if you want to give me about 50 grand you can drive it away... otherwise.. not a chance :p
(a little sidenote... nobody has ever said yet.. "that car is not worth 50 grand". They wont pay it, but they dont say that either... )

That car's not worth 50 grand.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Grandavi;1920653 said:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Grandavi;1920560 said:
Ever notice there aren't many 80 T/A's around anymore? My sister had one.. 305 in it and it hopped.. but overall was unimpressed with the cheap thrown together feel of it. Would rather have the 70's version... (as long as you didn't use the bumper spot for jacking up the car.. lol)

my favorite is probably about a 72 w/ the 455HD :drool:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Backlash2032;1920821 said:

okay.. you typed it... you didn't "say" it.. and I aint giving you my phone number either.

(and.. just in case you were not being facetious... yeah.. its not worth 50 grand... I could dump 200k into it.. and it still wouldnt be worth 50 grand... but it is insured for 40k.)

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
You might want to enjoy the car for what it is. Other wise it'll just become a money pit.

If you perform a motor swap you might be out of high school before you take it off jack stands, and the price tag to even just get your car into sub 12s is pretty steep.

Maybe you could just clean up the car a little and do some tasteful suspension mods.

If you're really set on doing a NA-T build trying searching "Devin LeBlanc" to look at his old build threads.