A new breed of turbos available

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Yeah it's pretty cool stuff. It would be nicer if the BOV cover was aluminum rather than plastic. (at least it looks plastic). I any case, I'm anxious to see what one of these bad boys would do on a MKIII.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
might be a while, none seem to be running right at the moment ;)

The design of the internal WG looks very promising. i dont know how many WG setups I've seen that ignore the basics laid out by Corky Bells book.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
there is going to be 16 different flavors to:) there also all variable vein geometry turbo and they use ti-com for the wheels. its a compound similiar to titanium and carbon fiber, just lighter and stronger. also all the wheels are centercut billet!!!! extremly high quality...with the variable vein you have 0 lag, especially with all the billet and ti-com parts. i realy like the boost control solenoid built into each one.

geoff from full race is already developing kits.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Mitsubishi turbos have the integrated bov also. Mm on expierence with them is when upping the boost you can outflow it and get surge.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
In my personal opinion, having the BOV at the turbo is a mistake.
Bell's info was fine 20 years ago, but has little meaning these days.
The pressure wave caused by chopping thr throttle originates at the throttle.
If you have the BOV at the turbo, you have a back flow of compressed air from all the piping & intercooler after it.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
CT26smoker;1637967 said:
In my personal opinion, having the BOV at the turbo is a mistake.
Bell's info was fine 20 years ago, but has little meaning these days.
The pressure wave caused by chopping thr throttle originates at the throttle.
If you have the BOV at the turbo, you have a back flow of compressed air from all the piping & intercooler after it.

wouldnt it just vent to atmosphere...i dont see how that would cause a back flow of compressed air.

anybody know pricing? im guessing they will be a pretty penny :eek:

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
DOUBL3 D;1638246 said:
wouldnt it just vent to atmosphere...i dont see how that would cause a back flow of compressed air.

Because, while under boost, all the air in the system is pressurized, right ?
Then you chop the throttle, the air is still under pressure until the BOV opens.
If it (the BOV) is all the way back at the turbo, the compressed air in all the piping, and intercooler will flow towards the low pressure area (the open BOV).

bioskyline;1638253 said:
some of the volvo's also run bov's on the turbo.

Not really a high performance turbo system.........

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Seems to me you're eliminating the pressure wave at the source. The reason there is a surge in the first place is because the throttle is shut and the turbo is still pumping air for a moment. A manifold vacuum source will open the BOV immediately and vent the pressurized air right at the compressor outlet.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
WhtMa71;1639206 said:
Seems to me you're eliminating the pressure wave at the source. The reason there is a surge in the first place is because the throttle is shut and the turbo is still pumping air for a moment. A manifold vacuum source will open the BOV immediately and vent the pressurized air right at the compressor outlet.

And what happens to the pressurized air in the piping & intercooler.......
Does it majically dissapear ?

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
^^^Cosworth and borg warner made this turbo and im sure they know what there doing, lol.. i dont think they are going to go through all this hard work to just ruin it by adding a bov to the turbo. these two companies are just badass, point bank.........

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would think the BPV on the compressor charger would be useful in conjunction with a BOV on the cold side.

Only on the hotside, air has to move backwards through the system, possibly distorting flow.
Only on the Cold side, air originating at the turbo, wasted in that it won't be injested by the motor must pass through the intercooler, causing unnecessary heat to be transferred to the intercooler before it can be released to the atmosphere.

IMHO neither makes that big of a difference on a street car, but still interesting to think about.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
CT26smoker;1639265 said:
And what happens to the pressurized air in the piping & intercooler.......
Does it majically dissapear ?

No, but it might magically disappear.... I think borg warner might know a little more about turbos that you.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
BOV on or near the turbo is the best place for it. It makes no sense to me, even from a physics point of view, to put a BOV as far away from the source of pressure as possible.