A good Daily Driver?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
I have an 88 Supra Turbo that is my DD right now and I am not liking it lol. Uses too much gas and I bought it for a project before a couple idiotic family members took my other car without my permission and blew the engine up in it. How much better is an n/a MK3 on gas and just as a DD all around? I don't necessarily want to stick with it but it'd be cool.

Right now I'm looking at stuff like MR2, Mazda mx-5, and mazda mx-3. Any opinions on those? Any major defects on the mx-3 or mr2 that you guys have heard about that I haven't seen on the net?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Buy a Civic, Accord, Corolla, Four Camary or a Sentra.

All are good on gas and are nice daily drivers. I prefer a 96-2000 Corolla. Those cars are strong. A simple tune up, timing belt with water pump and all seals and you are good to go. You can get them in five speed and they are not hard to drive in traffic since the OEM clutch pedal feel is super soft. I'd get one and they are not high on the wanted list for thieves like Civics.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Yeah I've strongly leaned toward Corolla cause I'm a yoda lover. I like the look of the Corolla S but the Corolla XRS is really what I'd want sadly they are very hard to find. At the moment I was thinking of sticking it out and getting the Scion FR-S when it hits the floor next year but in the spirit of being responsible I think a car for a quarter the cost would be better lol. Also I'd want something that looks nice and I wouldn't need to put any real maintenance into because as we all know the Supra is a beast that must be fed with every cent you have xD

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I've had both n/a and turbo. Highway cruising in my stock gte I was getting 27 mpg. My n/a only got around 23-24 hwy. MPG's were reversed for city driving. The GTE was worse. My advice would be to NOT use the supra as a DD and find some 4-banger to run around in, or just go get you a Lexus like I did ;-)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Get the Corolla. Normal maintanence is a must but it will not have a lot of problems. I find them to be very reliable cars with normal daily driver comfort, not crazy though.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
IBoughtASupra;1734897 said:
Buy a Civic, Accord, Corolla, Four Camary or a Sentra.

All are good on gas and are nice daily drivers. I prefer a 96-2000 Corolla. Those cars are strong. A simple tune up, timing belt with water pump and all seals and you are good to go. You can get them in five speed and they are not hard to drive in traffic since the OEM clutch pedal feel is super soft. I'd get one and they are not high on the wanted list for thieves like Civics.
Like he said. The simpler the car is the better. I have a 97 civic and its great for a dd.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
What about the Matrix? I've started checking a few out for the wife and they're pretty decent cars. You could find one of the XRS models if you want a little more zip too, comes with the old Celica engine in that model.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Scion Tc are good too but I was recommending cars that you can buy on a $2,000 budget and fix up without even exceeding $1,800. Trying to not to get you in debt.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have used Supras for DD for years now. They're nice if you can afford the gas and happen to be able to fix it in a pinch (things do go wrong occasionally). Ex girlfriend had an MX3, was a nice car for cruising around in. I kinda had the best of both worlds back then, I had both a Mk3 Supra (NA), and a Miata. Once you get past the looks, they make great daily drivers. Cheapest fun you can have really... have a bad day at work? Go run your car out to the twisties and let off some stress. :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have an '01 Mazda protege 5spd as a daily. Great on gas & reliable. That's what you should be looking for. Stop trying to get another sporty car for a DD. That just leads to temptation to modify. Plus your insurance will be higher with a car of that type.

Another thing, I would hold my family members responsible for the damages to the supra. You either get them to help you fix it, or help you buy another reliable DD.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Worried about fuel efficiency?

razor-scooters.jpg

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
The car they ruined was a 95 Dodge Intrepid. It had an oil leak I was saving up to fix and before I got it repaired they took it and drove the hell out of it. Trust me I made sure I got some money in my pocket for that one.

Yeah I am breaking myself of wanting to get another sports car short of a miata(wouldn't do any mods at all on that passed a nice suspension). Reason I am seriously considering the Scion tC is because I do want something newer that looks really nice. The Supra is gonna make me pull my hair out enough without getting another car that I'll end up having to fix every few months due to a worn out component. Thanks for all the advice though I'll take it all into consideration.

BigGuySpoolin89

Jun 13, 2011
TN
I have no problem DD my supra... 130 mile round trip a day... 27ish mpg. A hell of alot better than my grand cherokee. I might get another DD when i get heavier on the mods