A good 7mgte rebuild kit for bottom and top end power

mk3supraboy

hows it going everyone im trying to find a good 7mgte rebuild kit that would help me get a starting point of getting the engine ready to do 500 whp roughly so does anyone know of a good kit that would consist of these things and for the head what kind of items would i need besides a valve job?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
There is no "kit" to make 500 hp.
There are some good recipies, though.
You need to use the search button at the top right and search questions like
"best gasket kit", "good pistons", or "what parts to use", or "What rods", etc...

I will tell you that you can expect to need the following:
Aftermarket turbo
forged pistons, rods
larger injectors
Intercooler kit
Metal head gasket
ARP fasteners
Very good clutch
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
At least a piggyback fuel controller

The pricetag for the above items will be pushing beyond $5,000, not including necessary plumbing, wiring, machine work and shop costs.
Are you planning to spend that? Most people 'inch' their way up the power hill, starting with a quality rebuild with forged internals, and
deal with bigger, better bolt-on externals later. Start with the core of the engine, and don't skimp.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
supraguy@aol;1837112 said:
Most people 'inch' their way up the power hill, starting with a quality rebuild with forged internals, and
deal with bigger, better bolt-on externals later. Start with the core of the engine, and don't skimp.

exactly what im doing
im still at the beggining of my build and have spent 1500 on the following, eagle h beams, maft pro, upgraded oil pump, rc550 injectors(i need 680cc to reach my goal of 500 and be safe)
build motor 1st and then start doing other necessary external upgrades

not to mention that his list is only for bottom end...valve train upgrades are going to be a pretty penny as well
better flowing exhaust is needed
fuel pump upgrade...etc

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
Does the car run now? Time constraints? Money issues? What I did was build up certain bolt-on's cause I didn't want my car to be down for extended period of time, and all that stuff was busted or neglected lol. Built motor coming next spring
3" turbo back Exh
550cc Inj.
255LPH FP
bigger fuel lines
Aeromotive FPR
Intercooler w/piping
Rad & Fans
Adjustable fan control
Lex AFM
AEM EMS (only cause I got a killer deal on it)
Some other stuff I forgot to lol
You can find package deals on rods and pistons ect, do your home work!!

Last edited:

mk3supraboy

well ya i know there isnt a kit for instant 500hp im just trying to see whats good parts to buy to achieve this i mean people have their own opinions i have a list on what im going to purchase when the time is right im just trying to get a reliable motor first i know i want:
550 injectors
walpro fuel pump
lexus afm
fuel pressure regulator
bic divorce downpipe
blitz nur spec exhaust
etc

mk3supraboy

well ya i know there isnt a kit for instant 500hp im just trying to see whats good parts to buy to achieve this i mean people have their own opinions i have a list on what im going to purchase when the time is right im just trying to get a reliable motor first i know i want:
60-1 turbo
550 injectors
walpro fuel pump
lexus afm
fuel pressure regulator
bic divorce downpipe
blitz nur spec exhaust
etc

do you guys know any good kits such as gasket kits, which metal headgasket to go with, whats a good intercooler kit to run ,
and a good site to go to for the pistons,rings,rods,oil pump etc

supraguy@aol;1837112 said:
There is no "kit" to make 500 hp.
There are some good recipies, though.
You need to use the search button at the top right and search questions like
"best gasket kit", "good pistons", or "what parts to use", or "What rods", etc...

I will tell you that you can expect to need the following:
Aftermarket turbo
forged pistons, rods
larger injectors
Intercooler kit
Metal head gasket
ARP fasteners
Very good clutch
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
At least a piggyback fuel controller

The pricetag for the above items will be pushing beyond $5,000, not including necessary plumbing, wiring, machine work and shop costs.
Are you planning to spend that? Most people 'inch' their way up the power hill, starting with a quality rebuild with forged internals, and

^yuppp. but im gonna have to say properly tuned you could make 500 on stock rods/pistons and just arp hardware (2000 series rod bolts, head studs, main studs) some people 'inch' then some people get tired of that and do the long jump lol

mk3supraboy;1837497 said:
do you guys know any good kits such as gasket kits, which metal headgasket to go with, whats a good intercooler kit to run ,
and a good site to go to for the pistons,rings,rods,oil pump etc

be sure to read the stickies regarding head gaskets/etc. lots of information in there. as for parts sources, look at the authorized vendors, most cater specifically to the 7m/mk3 platform. you can also look into companies like titan motorsports- they have a pretty good selection of internals for the 7m.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
mk3supraboy;1837497 said:
60-1 turbo
bic divorce downpipe
Note that that downpipe is only applicable if you get the upgraded CT-26. That may be the cheaper way to go, but not necessarily the best, since you'll be restricted to either lots of lag from clipping the exhaust wheel, or running out of breath at higher RPM due to the exhaust turbine restriction. There are "bolt-on" replacement turbos, such as SupraSport's BOSS turbos, which would work fine for that application, but give serious consideration to a different manifold setup for your goals. (I have a bolt-on Turbonetics 60-1, which I am very happy with, and the BOSS turbos are also supposed to be excellent.)

Another item on the list here is that the Lexus AFM and 550s are adequate for my power goals, but that's still shy of 500HP. For 500, I'd personally want more fuel, and better control of that fuel. To me, that's on the borderline of stand-alone, and certainly into the realm of piggyback fuel computers. If you go with a piggyback, you may not need the Lexus AFM, and will be able to use larger injectors. This will give you more safety margin in the end.

Most of the things on your shopping list, I've bought, or plan to buy from Driftmotion. They seemed to be the best solution when I was shopping around.

I bought the gasket kit. $100 for what looks to be a complete set, though I haven't broken the shrink wrap. Last time, I bought the Toyota OEM gasket set, which was $400, and had every gasket and seal needed for the whole engine.

I bought an OEM oil pump from Driftmotion as well, and have the low restriction feed tube.

I have a Titan MHG, yet to be installed. Looks good, and other than a warning that I might need to drill out one rivet, seems to have good reviews. It's relatively inexpensive as MHGs go.

I have the DM 2.5" Spearco replica IC. Been running that for a couple of years, and am very happy with it. I've run up to 18 lbs boost with the 60-1 through it.

Am planning to go with DM for pistons and rings, and the Eagle rods are on my shopping list too. For my power goals, this is probably overkill, but I also never want to have to open the block again.

ive got one of suprasports lipp boss series turbos. the 'stage 5 t04e 61' the turbine is direct bolt on and it will match up to whatever aftermarket downpipe or the factory elbow, the one pictured on the site is one of the GTS compressor housings. im not sure if you can use the stock intake pipe, but heres a pic to show the t04e 61- it even clears the factory manifold heat shields.
l.jpg

and heres the 3" intake pipe. i relocated my psr to make the pipe simple. and thats a lipp afm housing and lexus afm with a k&n fikp. with that setup i made 483 on all stock internals.
l.jpg

hope the info helps man, good luck with the build

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
North West connecting rod have been very informative so far, have not used them but I hear great things. I spoke to them today and gave me a great price for fully reconditioned rods and is going to call me back on piston coatings and what they can hold. He said the rods will be fine. Also schnieder cams are very good and very well priced. I have the same goal as you for 500 ish rwhp. I plan on going with a 680cc inj double wally 255LPH motorola 2.5 bar map and AEM EMS. Looking into valves and springs still.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The Turbonetics that I have has a 4" intake. Relocating the PS resevoir wasn't an option, it was absolutely mandatory, but I am using the Lexus AFM with it. I have a 4" to 3.5" reducer on there, then a further reducer to the AFM size. I'd like to go speed density eventually though, if only to have the 4" cone filter sitting on the front of the turbo. :D

SPOOLINLUST;1837696 said:
North West connecting rod have been very informative so far, have not used them but I hear great things. I spoke to them today and gave me a great price for fully reconditioned rods and is going to call me back on piston coatings and what they can hold. He said the rods will be fine. Also schnieder cams are very good and very well priced. I have the same goal as you for 500 ish rwhp. I plan on going with a 680cc inj double wally 255LPH motorola 2.5 bar map and AEM EMS. Looking into valves and springs still.

theres really no need for dual wally's at 500hp. a single 255 will do the job just fine if you want to spend the extra money on valves/springs/retainers/cams then more power to ya, but its really not necessary. a set of N/A cams from a GE motor and otherwise stock valvetrain typically wont have an issue with a setup around the 500hp mark

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
bfr1992t;1838075 said:
Dan Gyoba talking turbo's? When did that happen? :)
Lol. I swapped in the 7M-GTE (finally)a couple years back. 2008, I think it was. Started looking into this so long ago, probably the longest turbo swap project in Supra history -- at least the longest that has ever actually been completed. :)

Now I'm building another motor for it, and it's looking like there will be more build to this than I ever thought that I'd actually do.

mk3supraboy

Yes these are all good replys thanks guys i think i gotta basic idea in what im getting so ima put my list so far and tell me if i should trash it or upgrade anything.

kyorad radiator
bic divorced downpipe
blitz nur spec exhaust
walpro fuel pump
550cc injectors
ebay fuel pressure regulator
Boss sr series 60-1 turbo plus install package
not sure which intercooler setup to run yet looking for ideas
apexi boost controller
hks turbo timer
hks metal head gasket