a few vacuum line questions..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'm trying to clean up my engine bay and stealth things up, but I also want stuff to be more reliable, so I'm planning on using silicone vacuum lines wherever possible..

vacuumlines.jpg

my current hoses are not stock, so I can't check, and the EPC doesn't list the sizes, just the part numbers..

question 1:

are the hoses in green the same size on both ends? What is their inner diameter?

question 2:

what is the inner diameter of the hose in red?

question 3:

are the blue hoses the same inner diameter.? Also, is silicone strong enough for these, or should I stick to OEM?

thanks for the help guys..!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc they are all the same inner diameter and silicone would be plenty strong.

Thats all i know sorry.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
thanks for the replies, guys..

also, I'm trying to shorten the lines, which is why I'm getting rid of the pipe connecting the green hoses in my picture..

I think maybe the elbow feeding the FPR and the booster are the same ID, not sure though, but I think the green hoses are like, 16mm ID, but no autozone around here carries anything; cheap bastards..!

also, could you link me to the $80 silicone set you're talking about, McEvans thanks!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
which are the 6mm and which are the 8mm? How much did you use..?

I don't think I need 4mm, that's for the BVSV, right? I have that hooked up directly, bypassing the metal tube connecting the green hoses in my pic...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
hmm, upon closer inspection, it only has the elbow (which is a good thing now I know that size), but doesn't mention the booster, and the hoses I have in green..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
let me post up a pic of my engine bay..

attachment.php

you can't really tell in the pic, but the pipe connecting the ISC hoses to the accordian pipe stick up pretty bad, and they don't fit like OEM and are super hard, and already cracking, so I don't want to remove them, also they cause the metal pipe to scratch the shit out of my IC pipes..

Also since I have IS300 coils and no coil pack cover, I want to have just one straight pipe to the ISC and have it go to the accordian pipe, which is why I wanna know if they're the same inner diameter, or if they reduce/expand at any point...

the rest of the main vacuum hoses are silicone already as I replaced them. I got the elbow, thanks for the help on that one guys.

The chassis has 250k+ miles, so lots of the hoses are brittle, and I was wondering if the booster hoses are the same ID, I'm afraid of removing them to check, as they're very brittle, and if I can't find a replacement, I can't drive her, and possible crash, killing myself/others...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A quick note: Silicone hoses come in varying degrees of silicone content with the more expensive ones having the most. The downside of those is larger diameters tend to collapse under vacuum, especially when coming off the throttle. That's why it's long been ill advised to use them for things like brake booster or ISC lines. If you're adamant about doing it you might want to run down to the local hardware store and get some springs to put in them...