a few 1j questions

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From what I remember, you're looking at about $2,000 to upgrade the pair. Once you do that, you're looking at a set of twins that more or less perform the same as before, but won't fall appart (Unless of course they upgrade to a different style wheel).

If I'm not mistaken, HKS cams run the same base circle as stock, so nothing would need to be done to the valvetrain. Of course, if you want to rev really high, upgraded springs might be an idea.

red91turbo

Feb 24, 2006
Houston, Texas
I have had a few discusion with Majestic Turbo in Waco Texas in the last few days and they told me that they can rebuild them for $350 per turbo. That is if they don't have cracked housings or any other damage than just normal wear like seals and bearings. They also told me that the ceramic turbine wheels will more than likely crack when they remove them, so they offer an exact replacement made out of Inconel. The wheels cost $150 each. At the same time they replace the shaft with a cast iron shaft and will replace the 270 degree thrust washer with a 360 degree version at no cost. I asked it there was a replacement center section like ball bearing available and they said not that they knew of. This makes the total cost of the rebuild and upgrade about $1,000. They even offer a 6 month unlimited mileage waranty. I had my CT26 upgraded to a 60-1 by them and I have 65,000 miles on it boosting at 18 psi with no problems. Give them a call @ 1-800-231-5566 and talk to Daniel if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Rich

red91turbo

Feb 24, 2006
Houston, Texas
I talked to the technician at Majestic and he told me that he would get back to me on Monday with boost and Hp numbers. I also asked him to see if a ball bearing center section was available and he said he would call all his contacts and give me an answer.

I will report back when I hear from him on Monday.

Rich

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I used to do a lot of auto body work when I was in high school (had an auto body class). I have painted a ton of valve covers before... and yeah, you wanna use high temp paint. You gotta remember this, valve covers you can usually touch with bare hands, but they can get warm to where you can't touch them as well.... about 120 degrees (for most people) is where you can no longer stand to touch something. So they do get pretty warm... use the high temp paint, and you wont have any problems.

I just noticed you asked about the plastic! oooopss... I still say use high temp paint for that as well, regular paint tends to flake off... the hardest part of painting plastic is getting it to stick, so don't paint it while its cold.

Last edited:

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
At the risk of sounding stuck up I'm a certified body tech, and regular Base coat clear coat will hold up fine on any engine part except the exhaust. The high temp. paint is meant to coat brake calipers and headers. I've painted a Big block before and the regular BC/CC holds just fine. For that plastic you'll need to use an adhesion promoter and hit it with a grey scotch brite pad. Hope that answered your question finally.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
dont bother trying to use steel blades on the c12a it adds lag into the mkiv range either spend the 1000$ to rebuild them or buy a set of headers 200 + a turbo on ebay about 4-800 depending on taste.
The 1000 will get you stock or the single which will add a lot of power.

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
If your going to do a twin setup do like a T3 for one and a T3/T4 for the other. That way you get good boost and minimal lag. Who gives a sh*t if skyline guys do it. Works for them why not for us. Plus twin turbo is why we all get the jz motors why not just beef up that set up. Even guys with big Cummins and CAT diesels are taking advantage of twins. Only thing you have to worry about then is gettin the rear end to stay planted.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
xxxotiknightz said:
If your going to do a twin setup do like a T3 for one and a T3/T4 for the other. That way you get good boost and minimal lag. why not just beef up that set up.

It doesn't really work that way. You can't just get one smaller turbo and one bigger one and think you made a sequential setup.

Plus twin turbo is why we all get the jz motors

speak for yourself. I'd rather be single turbo.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com