a few 1j questions

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
ok.... so the turbos are good to 1 bar, but is there a way to upgrade them, with metal blades and a larger trim. If so who does it and what are the specs.

Also, i plan on refinishing the valvcovers, but the plastic that covers the sparkplugs and cam gears, does it need to be painted with high temp paint or will regular paint work.

Thanks

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
When i Checked with MDC

I asked about upgrading to a steel setup and he said just buy another turbo setup.

Basicly my CT12's are toast and i checked to see what it would be to rebuild them. i was told like $200 + for just the Ceramic Shaft not to mention all the other parts needed and then the labor. If you want to upgrade them it was basicly double the cost of everything. then times it by two since you have two turbos.

For that kind of cash you can go and try to do a setup like Becauseican with his twin Garret setup good for something like 550RWHP. Or Save your self some cash and go single.

If you have loads of free cash sitting around to do stuff and you must keep a stock look then ya they can be upgraded. I am not sure of the Specs. There was a guy on eBay selling a set up upgraded Steel CT12A's off a Soarer.

But in all seriousness if you have that much extra cash, i could use some to finish up my car. I would Even Put a logo on my car or Name along the runners under the door. :)

For that kind of cash

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
supra8903 said:
ok.... so the turbos are good to 1 bar, but is there a way to upgrade them, with metal blades and a larger trim. If so who does it and what are the specs.

Also, i plan on refinishing the valvcovers, but the plastic that covers the sparkplugs and cam gears, does it need to be painted with high temp paint or will regular paint work.

Thanks

you can boost higher than 1bar if you want. Don't believe those myths.

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
ya how high..... also what about the paint.....

also if you go single will a hks dp be able to work, with an adapter..... like to go from the hot side to where the y-pipe ended....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bobiseverywhere said:
how high can we go with out any risk to the twins? :naughty:

I don't know where the efficiency really dies and more boost is just hot air, but I know plenty of people (including myself) have run their turbos over 1bar for extended periods of time. Sure, they eventually died but people get blown turbos without turning up the boost as well.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i looked in the 1JZ-GTE Manual and the Turbos boost 0.92kg/cm2 which is literaly just under a 1bar stock.

As for the DP you would have to push your Turbo Way Forward to use the DP for a y-Pipe. Just think of the Angle and distance the DP would still need to start in the same place unless you cut it up and weld it. Plus you would need a Turbo elbow then with the Same Flange.

It would probably be easier to just get another DP from the turbo to Cat. Sell the HKS one. There is only 1 other guy on eBay right now Selling greddy ones so it might get a fair bit of attention

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
OneJoeZee said:
I don't know where the efficiency really dies and more boost is just hot air, but I know plenty of people (including myself) have run their turbos over 1bar for extended periods of time. Sure, they eventually died but people get blown turbos without turning up the boost as well.

So how abot this, how high have you gone for extended periods and how high for continous driving?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bobiseverywhere said:
So how abot this, how high have you gone for extended periods and how high for continous driving?

I, personally was running about 17psi daily for about 4-5 months. Then I had some problems with my boost controller(which caused my 1st 1J to go boom). The turbos were spiking really bad around 1.7bar. Crazy I know, it wasn't intentional.:)

Only about a month ago did the turbos start smoking but I hadn't been using a boost controller since january.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bobiseverywhere said:
ah ok.

sounds like the damage was already done.

What boost controller were you using and what went wrong?

Sorry Joeseph i am not trying to jack your thread

I don't think my twins blew because of the boost they were at. They woulda started smoking along time ago if so. It was just that time. I was using a greddy profec b. one of the lines touched something hot. boost signal wasn't getting to the wastegates. overboosted real fast. This was back in january.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
supra8903 said:
ok.... so whats the max power out of the stock turbos.... and the suporting mods at that level....
Stock turbos, with y-pipe, and 1 bar, you're looking at around 300-330rwhp depending on climate.

With a y-pipe, my car creeped to 1 bar by about 6k in a cool climate. Most other people have noticed this too.

There used to be a guy selling y-pipes on Ebay, but I think he sells exclusively through 935motorsports.com now. They're nice pipes though. I picked one up in the spring for rediculously cheap.

If you're looking for performance on stock twins, I would seriously consider an upgraded set of cams. There's a guy on SF making almost 400rwhp with a cammed 1JZ and stock twins. I run Crower 272s in my car, it added tons of power above 3500. Pulls to 7500 (possibly higher) like crazy.

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
so what about an upgraded set..... how much will they cost and what power could they make..... mid 400s it might be worth the $

about paint anybody

also with hks cams do you have to alter the valvetrain at all?