A Couple Questions About Detailing

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys, I have a few questions, and was hoping someone has used these products before, or can comment on them before I go out and spend money on them. My car is an 87 Silver Supra, with original paint and 76k miles.

1) I found this thread where this guy did a very in depth detailing on a MK2 Supra. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/detaili...supra-mkii-24-year-old-paint-resurrected.html On the second page the guy used Klasse All-In-One on the faded windshield cowl and it removed the oxidized layer on the cowl and made it look like new. I noticed that my windshield cowl is starting to get a little bit faded, and was wondering about using this on it. I read that it is safe to use on plastics, glass, almost anything, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this stuff, and did it work?
Here's a picture of my windshield cowl:
p1829643_1.jpg

2)The paint on my wiper arms is starting to come off and I would like to repaint them. Anyone have any suggestions on what paint to use, or any tips for painting the wiper arms?
Here's a picture of my drivers side wiper arm:
p1829643_2.jpg

3) Has anyone ever used the Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax? If so, is it safe for me to use on my original paint and did it give you good results?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Gavyn

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
I suggest you go onto autogeek.com and get on their forums. I spend a lot of time on there also and it is just full of info and nice folks... just like this site.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I painted my rear wiper and all I did was remove it from the car, hit it with some sandpaper and shoot it. Still looks fine a year afterwards.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
I painted all three of my wiper arms last summer I used 1 coat of Rustoleum primer and 3 coats of Napa trim black spray paint. I found that the best way to get good coverage was to take them off the car and hang them by some string. Also in terms of what wax to use, when I had my car professionally detailed I asked the guy who did it what wax to use and he told me to use Meguiar's hi tech yellow wax. I've been using it ever since and its the only wax I will use. My car is similar to yours, its the original paint and mine is single stage paint so the clear coat is mixed in with the base coat. hope this helps!

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
I'm with Connor ^^^^^ Good to also see another Supra owner in Oregon.

I work as an Painter and my wipers were starting lose their original black paint as well as my coal. I took them off, stripped them down to metal, sealed, painted them black, and then clear coat them. Best thing I could have done. Plus, you can wax them to bring back a high gloss shine. Any body shop could do that for you.

As far as the wax. I swear by Meguiar's Hi Tech yellow wax but the Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax is great too.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
For my wiper arms I sandblasted them, then painted them with a rust converter/primer and then sprayed on an enamal used for roll bars. IIRC it was made by plastikote.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I am probably going to get some of the NXT 2.0 this weekend and try it out sometime in the next week.

I am assuming that the wiper arms had a semi gloss finish when the car was new, like the new cars do now? Also, is the trim paint like what Conor mentioned, the best to use for a factory like finish?

Anyone here have any experience with using something on the cowl to bring back the shine to it?

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
The trim black is a semi gloss paint. The cowl is actually coated in a sort of rubberized coating. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about refinishing it. and if irc I think people were plasti dipping them.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
SEM makes a black trim paint that approximates the gloss and color of the wiper arms and cowl. That's what I used to paint mine and 2.5 years later they still look like the day I painted them. I wish the rustoleum I used on the rest of the car resisted fading that well.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So I waxed my car Tuesday with the NXT 2.0 wax, and it looks great. I like this much better than the Gold Class Carnumba that I was using, because this wax actually takes water spots off from teh washing, unlike the Gold Class. I even used it on my windows to take the water spots off. I also bought some Turtle Wax Platinum Natural Look Tire Shine Spray, and I also like it much better than the aeresol foam spray that I was using. Hopefully the tire shine and wax hold up for a while.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If you paint the wiper blades don't hang them with string. Use a metal coat hanger. With the string it will lay against the part and cause you to miss a spot with the paint.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2