92' Turbo Supra Suggestions

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Suprizim TT;1806939 said:
Damn that's one clean MKIII and a rare one to, To be complete inside out. I like the interior. Is that the OEM stereo of the car?

yeah, edit: 10 speakers and amplifier...

Last edited:

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Just got the head back from the machine shop... total at the shop was $408 and they did cleaning, pressure test, replaced all the valve seals, re-seated 2 valves, and milled off .006" off...

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Engine is almost back from the dead... Should be started up tomorrow while I start ordering everything for the restoration...

20120307170407.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Man, all you 92 guys have a tendency to make your cars look so nice... I approve heartily! :D

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Thanks again for the props...
Finally got it started up!

Since I always had the car, the gas pedal has always been extra stiff and hard to push down, is that normal on all MK3 Supra's?

[video=youtube;ExeWcPFgu1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExeWcPFgu1I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Sounds like a sewing machine, just about right lol. Whatever you do, take the mod progression SLOW. It might seem like a good idea to go from a newly running car to a new build. Take the car slow and enjoy it or you will end up without the car functioning for quite a while and you scratching your head figuring what went wrong where.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
yeah, after a few comments here, I decided to go stock with just a restoration...
I am just getting started and know there is a lot more to do, but slowly and surely...

Hopefully everything will be up and restored for the Ocean City, Md car show on June 9th...

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
The paint is a lot better than I expected... but will still look into a new paint job...
Everything is now up and running, and will focus on all the little things around it, weather strippings, suspension, bearings, struts(both suspension and hood/trunk)...

We only used rubbing compound, and repainted the Toyota emblem...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chris13002;1816189 said:
Me and my friends were wondering why the power steering reservoir cap said 'TOYODA' to find that it represents the name of the owner of Toyota...
You're new to older Toyotas, aren't you? :)

Just kidding, we've all been there at some point. Everything I've read on the subject said that it was due to the number of strokes used to write "Toyota" (using katakana/hiragana) corresponded with a lucky number for the Japanese. Plus, it rolls off the tongue easier for those who speak English. :p

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
How do you guys get the turbo and heat shields looking brand new? I saw a few and would not want to buy a whole new turbo just for looks... I tried purple power which works really well but still has the stained/old looking marks which are hard to get rid of...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POI-FMGH/

Would you guys recommend this or something else, like actual ceramic coating or would it just be too hard to maintain?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You can't go wrong with the POR15! I wouldn't recommend it for the heat shields though. I used that stuff on my turbo manifold, and exhaust housing a few years ago. It's still going strong on the manifold, but I don't still have that turbo. It was still good when I took it off though.

For the heat shields, look out for some in the for sale section with Jdub coating. He doesn't do them anymore, but the stuff is as good as the POR15, only looks chrome.