90 Cressida 7mge into an 87 supra questions...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got the 7mge from the 90 Cressida swapped into the 87 supra. Runs fine however, I am wondering about a couple things.

First, the Cressida 7m intake and fuel rail were used but it appears that the Cressida 7m injectors are upside down. It works but seemed odd. Also am using the Cressida intake manifold (looks more like the 7mgte one) but it doesn't have the "y" pipe. It's a single plastic tube similar to the 7mgte 3000 pipe.

Is this going to cause an issue? All the vacuum lines are hooked up and everything seems to be running spot on.

I have also heard that the Cressida runs a milder cam setup then the supra. Anyone know about this? Is there going to be any noticeable difference?

(Will post top end photos tomorrow)

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
If you use the cressida intake you loos the acis intake feature from the supra. It's actually pretty effective at boosting power across the rpm range. As far as I know the blocks and heads are the same, but its best to swap all the electronics and accessories from the supra 7mge to make it's ecu happy.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I will wait until I put the photos up, but I have seen a drawing that showed how the acis intake works. I have all the parts, but I think the wrong intake plenum (correct word?) is from the Cressida (put on the wrong one). That ties me into using the alternative.

I can swap it over.. just have to freshen up all the parts first. Will know all tomorrow night when I get some time again.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I will wait until I put the photos up, but I have seen a drawing that showed how the acis intake works. I have all the parts, but I think the wrong intake plenum (correct word?) is from the Cressida (put on the wrong one). That ties me into using the alternative.

I can swap it over.. just have to freshen up all the parts first. Will know all tomorrow night when I get some time again.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
You will need to swap in the entire upper intake/plenum assembly. The lower intake is the same. The Cressida uses the same upper intake as the GTE. If its truly a Cressida motor you will need to relocate the dipstick tube to the rear. Cressidas are mid sump engines where the Supra is a rear sump. Never heard anything about the cams. I used a Cressida motor in a Supra and aside from the intake and dipstick tube it was fine.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Because parts were in boxes there may have been some inter mixing but fairly certain it's all Cressida for the intake.
The oil pan and sump were used from the Supra 7m.
The dipstick is near the front of the engine. Pain in the butt reaching it, as the handle is just behind the distributor.

It all runs well, lots of bottom end torque. Isn't my turbo though... Much tamer...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay, this is what the top end looks like.

Just curious... is there a big performance hit going this way with the intake?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The car runs like a champ, but the suspension is weak. I will leave the intake as is for now until I decide if I'm gonna sell or keep it.

If you look at the pictures above (of the MAF) you can see the oil dipstick. It should be okay in that position, although its not that easy to get at. (harder than it looks)

Idles smooth, accelerates good. W58 seems to be doing 3500 rpm at 65 mph.. a bit of a difference from the R154. There is such a huge difference between my 88 turbo and this car, its quite remarkable. The N/A is a good car when compared to others, but my 88 just feels solid and so much more responsive with the 7MGTE. I couldn't keep a N/A long term after driving my car.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like something is a bit off then since NA engines are by their very nature more responsive than a turbo engine.

I'd put the supra intake on it though. More power, more midrange, and if you're looking to sell it, people are going to want that...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It has tons of torque off the line but after 3000 rpm it gets a bit weak. I had expected it to be more in line with my 88 without boost. I could burn tires easily enough but I would never race anything with it. I wonder if the intake comes into play a bit more than I thought.

Other than the injectors going in upside down and a milder can setup, the Cressida 7m should be identical to a Supra 7m (and the oil sump of course)

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Grandavi;1948167 said:
It has tons of torque off the line but after 3000 rpm it gets a bit weak.

That is exactly what the supra intake solves. it changes the length of the intake runners with higher rpms giving you a flatter power curve up past clear up to the redline.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ah, on the injectors, you can put them either way, so long as the fuel rail doesn't have the locating tabs for them (IIRC the early models did, so they have to face up, later models you can put the clips under the rail)