'89 Turbo Supra build

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I also adjusted the CPS to 10* BTDC. It was already pretty close but I didn't know for sure and I was hoping it might help my rough idle. No luck though so I'm still working towards figuring that out. I'm just now realizing I should be posting more pictures of this stuff!

Another thing I've been working on is getting the factory electric fan relays to run my Mishimoto fans. I got rid of the mechanical fan for this shroud/fan combo and planned on using a Painless F5 controller I've had lying around for a while. After doing some research online I decided to give the oem wiring a chance first. I figured it was already there and I'd much rather use the existing electrical system than add more complexity to it. The only hesitation I had was not really knowing what temperature the oem fan switch turned on. So I cut off the connectors and wired the fans in. I grounded the connector going to the aux fan temp switch and both fans turned on! "Great!", I thought. So I started the car and let it warm up... and warm up some more... and hotter and hotter.. eventually got to the point where I wasn't comfortable with the temp and turned it off. I still don't know what temp it's set at but I could've just had a bad switch I guess? So anyway, I found a 200* switch from Summit for about $20 that fits into the thermostat housing. Installed it, put a spade connector on the wire harness and connected it to the new temp switch. I still need to test it to make sure it turns on at the right temp but I'm pretty confident this setup will work!

While I'm at it, the other temp switch I removed is for the a/c fans. I'm assuming that switch just turned on the 3rd electric fan that was between the radiator and condenser right? So if I don't have that fan I don't need the switch hooked up? The wire that went to the switch is broken anyway so I'm hoping I don't need it and can just leave it unhooked... someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Man, this has been a very slow process since day one!

Had a chance to do some work on the car this afternoon... installed a set of oem injectors I picked up off the site here. After seeing how disgusting the old fuel tank was I thought the injectors were probably clogged and contributing to my rough idle and misfire issues. While doing that, I found the #5 and #6 injector connectors were mixed up and the one that should've been on #5 had a broken wire. So I was basically running on 4 1/2 cylinders... got the new injectors in and the wiring issues fixed up... I also installed a silicone intake "accordion" hose and swapped the DriftMotion/CXRacing intake piping back from the HKS style BOV to the OEM style. I should be starting it up tomorrow. Hopefully my misfire/rough idle issues are gone now and I can move on to the next problem(s)!

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Thanks! Misfire is gone and it purrs like a kitten now. Also smokes like a freight train though :(

I'm hoping it's just a blown turbo and/or valve stem seals. I have the original turbo on it now but have a replacement/upgrade ready to go on.

There's also a possibility the valve stem seals are leaking causing some smoke. It smokes a LOT at startup and continues to smoke (not as bad) at idle. Could be a combination of turbo and valve stem seals I guess, I'm just hoping it's not piston rings or anything serious...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I think the head was supposed to have been rebuilt before I got it. Will blown turbo seals cause a huge amount of smoke at startup though? I was thinking the smoking at idle would lean more towards the turbo seals but startup smoke was more likely to be valve stem seals??

Last edited:

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
New turbo is on, that solved the majority of the smoking. There's still a little smoke at startup and very little at idle. Suspension has been the latest priority. I finally had my Illuminas installed along with a set of H&R springs. Energy bushings have been installed in the front along with all new alignment parts. Rear bushings are next. Also have a set of Whiteline sway bars going on... at this rate it'll be ready to drive in about 5 more years!

Last edited:

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Suspension is 100% installed and aligned now! Illumina II shocks, H&R springs, KYB mounts, Whiteline sway bars, Energy Suspension bushings all over. Drove it around the parking lot a little... lots of squeaks and rattles to chase down eventually.

Next up is a Mishimoto catch can and replacing the OEM oil cooler setup. I'm also going to be replacing the dash and checking the dash harness while it's apart to try to figure out why all of my gauges aren't working properly.

Last edited:

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Well, I drove it home from the shop today. First time this car has been on the road in almost 20 years! It’s not 100% yet but it’s getting close. It was pretty cool hearing the turbo spool after owning this thing for several years and feeling like I was wasting lots of time and money on it!

f6ea44bb219d2ccad310cbad61b9848b.jpg

The front bumper is pretty trashed and will need to be replaced eventually. I haven’t installed the new oil cooler and catch can yet. I still have to install the new dash and figure out what’s wrong with the tach. One thing at a time but now that it’s at my house I’ll have more opportunities to work on it...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Yes it is. I’m planning on adding a trans cooler eventually but trying to get the oil cooler setup figured out first.