'89 Turbo Supra build

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Communistwookie;1985440 said:
How much did the run you? Details on them?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

They were about $620 shipped. The center caps say Redline Wheels or something like that. I just searched for CCW on eBay and found these.

They are 18x8.5 +35 and 18x9.5 +40. Hope these offsets work out ok. I see lots of guys running +20 but they have small tires with the "stretched" look. That's not for me... I'm going to try to fit 275/35's and 245/40's on them.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
supraguy@aol;1985479 said:
Im glad that you found those used white moldings. I was going to suggest you try to find a set on Ebay or here in the for sale section, but then i read further down, that you did just that. As you move along with your build, use the for sale section here for all the bits and pieces you may need- its a great resource.

Good luck on your build. Looks like you're off to a great start.

Will do, thanks!

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
nice, a white package 89 I favor the 89 steering wheels and such

I had xxr 006's at one point, a bunch of the "spokes" kinda get annoying when cleaning lol

was looking at the xxr ccw replicas or possibly another brand too but im liking my mkiv tt wheels I may just have them refinished or something, really don't feel like spending money on wheels again lol

hows the interior look/color? rust? you said it sat for a good while but garaged some of that time

good luck with everything

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Thanks! Well, from what I've seen the interior looks surprisingly clean. I haven't really got a good look yet believe it or not...

The back hatch is full of boxes of parts from the engine. The passenger side door panel and outside handle are removed because the PO had to get a key made and the driver's outside door handle just conveniently stopped working some time between me going to look at the car and a tow truck hauling it to my shop.

I had planned on having the engine ready to drop in by the end of this week but some stuff came up at work and I didn't get to do much with it. Once I get the accessories and everything out of the hatch and on the engine, then get the door handles working properly, I'll have a better idea of the condition of the interior.

Any suggestions of what I definitely do or don't need to do before dropping the engine into the car? Like should certain things be left off the engine until it's in or should I assemble as much as possible then drop it all in at once?

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Wheels came in, they look pretty good (especially considering the price) and are pretty light. I planned on bolting on the manifold and turbo today, hooking up the new oil lines and getting this thing ready to drop into the car... started tightening the 3rd nut on the manifold and the stud just spins... :(

So it looks like I'm going to have to fix that now before I can go any further.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Okay, I ended up having to use helicoils on two manifold studs. I got that part taken care of then installed the driftmotion braided oil lines for the turbo. I'm working on getting the vacuum and coolant lines bolted up to the block then the timing cover and accessories. Hopefully it will be ready to drop back into the car after that...

I was expecting this to take a couple weeks to have the engine in and starting it up but it's turned out to be a lot more work (and broken/worn parts) than expected!

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Haven't updated in a while... No new pictures but I ended up having to helicoil ALL of the exhaust studs! Ordered lots of other random hardware, hoses and gaskets... Anyway, engine is pretty much out back together now. I have a few last minute things to put together then hopefully it will be getting dropped in the car soon! More pics to come...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Oh yeah, just found out the crank pulley/balancer was bad so I had to order a new one. It looked like the pulley came loose at some point and wiggled around while the engine was running, caused the center of it to be worn out pretty bad and it has a lot of movement now when slid onto the crankshaft. The OEM part was discontinued a while back, the only new one I could find was made by ATI so that's what I ordered... It should be here tomorrow!

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
ATI Super Damper came in! It looks like it's not exactly a "bolt on" part... I'm going to have to grind down the flange on the new crank pulley bolt and also might have to have the pulley machined to fit onto the crank. It seems like some people had no problem getting theirs on and some do. Mine is just a few 1/1000ths of an inch smaller than the crank itself...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
The engine is (hopefully) getting dropped in this weekend...

rejeju3y.jpg

The rear tires were flat and had been for some time. They wouldn't hold air and were so dry rotted they wouldn't move. In order to roll it into the shop I had to go ahead and put on the rear wheels.

8enupuge.jpg

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Got the engine and transmission in today! I had to pull the front wheels, pry the calipers loose and pull out the brake pads to get the car to roll. The brakes were completely locked up! I planned on replacing the calipers, pads and rotors anyway though so no big deal...

So the drivetrain is all in place now, next comes the fun part! Over the next few weeks I'll be working on the harness/electrical stuff then vacuum, coolant and oil lines.

Also, I got an intercooler kit from Driftmotion a couple months ago but since then I've read mixed reviews on it. Should I install it now while I'm doing everything else? Or should I just go back with the stock one for now and get a better kit later?

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
supraguy@aol;1985479 said:
Im glad that you found those used white moldings. I was going to suggest you try to find a set on Ebay or here in the for sale section, but then i read further down, that you did just that. As you move along with your build, use the for sale section here for all the bits and pieces you may need- its a great resource.

Good luck on your build. Looks like you're off to a great start.

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I was able to pick up a console lid (mine is trashed) and a few other things recently. It's been a great help as most of this stuff it hard to find!

BTW - I'm looking for a burgundy dash panel or an entire gray interior if anybody has one for sale :)

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I haven't got much done since the last update, I've really only been able to spend a few hours here and there working on it. Most vacuum lines are hooked up now, that ended up taking about 3 times as long as it should've since I didn't know where most of the lines went and where the brackets bolted to. I also discovered that I was missing a throttle body and A/C compressor. I was able to pick up a used throttle body pretty cheap and bought a new Denso compressor. I also ordered a set of Tokico Illuminas now that they're available again. I'll have the KYB's for sale some time after all this is done.

I've also picked up a few other random parts that I may or may not end up using: Lexus MAF, upgraded CT26, spare exhaust manifold and a NEW burgundy dash! I was pretty excited about that one. It ended up getting a little damaged in shipping but nothing that won't be fixable.

That's all for now, as soon as I find the time I'm planning on getting all the accessories bolted on next. Then the wiring harness, oil cooler, trans cooler and coolant lines...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
'New' burgundy dash, as in- new to you, or new to the world?
Because I searched for ages to find a decent burgundy dash, and the dealer told me that there's no NOS dashes out there.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
New as in has been sitting at someone's house/attic/garage since before they were discontinued. It's not new to the world but had never been used or installed... It's in perfect condition other than the few pieces that were damaged in shipment. They were all on the inside, unseen, part of it though so I'll be able to repair them, install it and nobody will ever be able to see the repairs.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Hey Guys-

What are my options for getting a new engine harness? They're discontinued and not available through Toyota. Is there a reputable vendor or maybe even a member here that builds new ones or rebuilds old ones?

Last edited:

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Awesome, thanks! I've heard of them, didn't realize they did OEM replacement harnesses though. I just thought they did custom swap harnesses.

Well, I have some decisions to make then. That thing is a lot higher than I thought it would be. It looks like I can get a complete JDM pullout engine, transmission, ecu and harness for $1,500-1,600. The Tweakd harness is $1,500 minus the $300 core...

Has anyone bought a jdm pullout recently? Was the harness in any better shape than the average 25 year old harness? If I could pay the same price and have an extra engine and transmission then I think that's the smart thing to do. But if the pullout harness will need to be replaced too then it doesn't help me much...

Last edited:

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Long time since my last update! I haven't had much time to work on it... an hour here, 30 minutes there...

I finally got the engine in, most everything hooked up then had it towed back up to work so I could get it on a lift for the last few things. I ended up using the original harness (Tweak'd no longer does OEM 7M harnesses) and I think it's going to be okay. I just got the trans and oil cooler lines finished up today. Installing exhaust on it tomorrow then I'm hopefully going to be able to start it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk