'89 Turbo Supra build

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Hi everyone. My name is Joe. I recently picked up a 1989 Turbo Supra that needed some work, thought I'd start a build log here. It's a "white edition" with burgundy interior and (unfortunately) automatic transmission.

This is my first Supra but I'm a parts manager for a Toyota dealer so I'm very familiar with Toyotas. I also have a lowered and supercharged 2009 TRD Sport Tundra.

The current registration and inspection stickers on the car are from 1999 so it hasn't been driven in a LONG time! The previous owner bought the car a couple years ago and I think almost immediately noticed problems. It had sat in somebody's garage for years before that. He pulled the engine due to a blown head gasket and rod knock. He rebuilt the bottom end with a new crank and bearings and installed ARP studs in the heads. Long story short, everything sat unassembled from that point until I bought it a few weeks ago.

There was lots of cleaning to be done. I pulled the intake manifold, oil pan and valve covers off, cleaned everything up and painted it. I'll post some pictures of what I'm starting with. I'm really not looking forward to figuring out where all the vacuum, coolant and oil lines connect to so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you guys but hopefully it won't take too long to get this thing back on the road!

The car as it sits now:

uby5y8a6.jpg

ny7aqaru.jpg

Engine as it currently sits:

ydebezut.jpg

a4u6e4eh.jpg

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Oh, forgot to list the parts I've started collecting already. If you guys have any recommendations please feel free to let me know. So far I've ordered...

- Tanabe Touring exhaust
- Divorced/recirculated downpipe
- DriftMotion 11psi wg actuator
- DriftMotion intercooler kit
- Magnecor plug wires
- OEM spark plugs
- Lots of OEM gaskets and hardware
- FRP mouldings from C7 carbon - wanted to just get the OEM ones but they're discontinued and apparently hard to find!
- KYB shocks/struts with new mounts
- H&R springs

I think that's all for now?

Last edited:

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
hey, its a clean start to really kinda say, i mean atleast its kinda of a weird blessing having to go in and make sure everything is working in good order now then finding out later.
keep up the good work, cant wait to see more!

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
mcammarn;1984065 said:
Well it's a white package. That's a plus.lol
Umm.. thanks?

bloodasp90;1984068 said:
hey, its a clean start to really kinda say, i mean atleast its kinda of a weird blessing having to go in and make sure everything is working in good order now then finding out later.
keep up the good work, cant wait to see more!
Yeah, it's not very pretty but the body is straight as far as I can tell. Carfax shows it was in a small accident on the left front fender back in 1994 but everything looks to have been repaired properly. It will definitely need to be painted once I get it running. It's quickly becoming a money pit but hopefully I won't have to invest much other than time from this point on... the previous owner says the transmission is in great shape so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that!

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
The burgundy will grow on you as well. I've got the same car but in a 5speed. I thought I'd hate it but it def. grew on me. Granted I would like shadow grey or black. But those are tuff to find.lol

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Yeah I'd prefer gray but I'm just taking it one step at a time right now so getting it running and somewhat reliable is priority #1. Paint is definitely coming before any interior swap too!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
are you planning on keeping the "white package"?

or painting the mouldings a nice grey or something?

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I haven't really decided yet. I wasn't sure exactly how rare the white package is and if people frown upon changing any of it. I'm not opposed to painting the mouldings gray though. I know I'm definitely replacing the white wheels...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I might! I really hate that I had to buy the things from C7, they're really expensive! There was one that's completely missing from the car though and a 2nd one is in pretty rough shape so I had to do something...

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I just received some new suspension parts! I got KYB shocks/mounts and a set of H&R Springs. I also found a set of white mouldings in good condition on eBay so I bought those and cancelled the order from C7. Things are coming together slowly... I'm still waiting on some fuel and oil lines from DriftMotion, hoping to have the engine assembled and ready to drop in soon.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
I've been looking at wheels, trying to figure out what I'm going to buy. I want 18's. I like the mesh-style wheels and there are tons of options out there. They look great on these cars and it seems like I couldn't go wrong with those.

But... Then I found some bronze TSW Panoramas for a decent price. I've been trying to find some pictures of them on a supra but can't find much. Has anyone seen them on a mk3 or have any opinions on them?

It looks like I'm going to choose between those or some CCW classic style mesh wheels...

Here's a pic:

etu4ydus.jpg

Also, it's looks like they come in 18x8 +45 front and 18x9.5 +42 for the rear. Judging by what other guys have used it seems like these offsets should work, right?

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Haha! Just googled that name to see who it was. That car is the reason I wanted the mesh style wheels. Didn't know the owner's name but I've seen the car all over the internet.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
CCW's aren't in the budget right now. I've already spent more than I expected on random hardware, hoses, gaskets and stuff...

Ended up ordering these:

baqa4e8a.jpg

They were pretty cheap CCW replicas. I'll see how they work out. If I'm not happy with the quality I'll end up getting something else later.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Pull the gas tank down and have a look in there. Good time to replace that fuel filter while you're at it.
Your car sat a little longer than mine and this is what my fuel pump and inside of my tank looked like. Good luck.

019yg.jpg

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Oh yeah, I'm planning on it! Forgot to mention the PO also said he put a new tank and new fuel pump in it. I planned on dropping the tank anyway to check it out and make sure everything is okay but hopefully I won't find anything like ^ that!! 😬

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Joe__G;1985428 said:
CCW's aren't in the budget right now. I've already spent more than I expected on random hardware, hoses, gaskets and stuff...

Ended up ordering these:

baqa4e8a.jpg

They were pretty cheap CCW replicas. I'll see how they work out. If I'm not happy with the quality I'll end up getting something else later.

How much did the run you? Details on them?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Im glad that you found those used white moldings. I was going to suggest you try to find a set on Ebay or here in the for sale section, but then i read further down, that you did just that. As you move along with your build, use the for sale section here for all the bits and pieces you may need- its a great resource.

Good luck on your build. Looks like you're off to a great start.