'89 Supra with a turbo LS1

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
I've been reading on here for quite a while but haven't posted...obviously. I've been trying to take in as much information as I can.

My car started as an '89 7MGTE with an auto trans. It currently has a stock engine LS1 with a 68mm turbo on it. The trans. is the stock 4L60E that goes with the engine. It made roughly 400hp on a Mustang dyno. The turbo is pretty small for what it's attached to and realistically is maxed out at only 5 - 6 psi. I'll be changing turbos soon to probably a BW S366 or 368 and getting closer to 500hp. It has Tokico struts and some lowering springs (no idea on brand, was told 2" though) The wheels are 17x9 and 17x11 American Racing wheels. The rear tires are 275/40/17 and do rub on a hard bounce.

I purchased the car close to how it is. I've added little bits and pieces but I can't take credit for the big parts. I do have to put a lot of little things together. The car does not have a speedometer, the coolant overflow needs to be redone, it could really use a good detailing, I need to figure out something for the suspension, etc.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I'll put up a few pictures if you're interested.

I'm mainly here for the suspension and rear end stuff. What type of setups are you guys with higher HP running on the street or drag strip? As of right now the struts/springs do alright, but leave a little to be desired. There is no front sway bar at all. I think I'll have to come up with something on my own for that. I'll make something and create my own quick-disconnect links for it. I've debated going with coilovers, but we'll see. Changing turbos and a retune will cost me about $2,000 so I may leave it at that for the year.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

I suppose I should tell you what I'm doing with the car before I ask about suspension. I'm going to drive this car. I'll go to the drag strip maybe two or three times a year, but that's about it. Other than that it's a car I'll drive more often than not in the summer time. It doesn't have A/C but that isn't the end of the world. On a nice day the top would be off anyhow. I don't want something that is going to rattle my teeth, but I want to be able to turn without practically stopping to do so (not that I do now, but I think you get the idea) I'm not a huge fan of the wheels/tires on the car now. I'll be looking for replacements next year.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Hey welcome and Im raising the WE NEED TO SEE THAT LS1 SUPRA PICS flag. Hey post some pics of the engine bay to see that monster....

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
lside.jpg

enginebay.jpg

ls1t1.jpg

ls1t2.jpg

ls1t3.jpg

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
I found another guy in Germany with the same year Supra but a built N/A LS3. He was in the 550whp range which will be more than me even when I'm done. He had quite a bit of money in his car, but it was very nicely done.

Last edited:

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
RPSil13;1570089 said:
id like to see more info on the swap, was everything custom made to fit, or did you find a swap kit??

Everything is custom. The longest/most tedious part was the header/downpipe/exhaust stuff. To custom make that to fit took forever.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nice car man, color and wheels look a lot like mine, although your wheels are a bit bigger... I think they look good personally, and a 17x11 will allow for some nice wide tires, to help with the traction situation. Personally, I'd have nothing less than a 315/35 on the rear if I had those wheels. ;)

To answer your suspension question, you really should look into a good set of coilovers. I have the Megan Racing Track series for my car, they're alright for the price, but how long they're gonna last is anyone's guess. I've heard good things about the JIC Magic coilovers for our cars, and the adjustability would make it easy to set it up for the track or the street pretty easily as well.

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
I got my hands on an Eastwood fender roller today so I'm going to massage the rear fenders tomorrow and see what happens. I'd love to get a 315 on there but the 275's on it now have rubbed quite a bit. I want to make sure I fix that before I put new ones on.

I need new front tires too. Tread is good but the last guy stretched a 225 on a 9" wheel which in my opinion looks just ridiculous. I'll end up getting a matched set or something more approraite anyhow soon enough.

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
What websitses/stores do you guys use for parts? I've ran across a few but I'm coming from an '05 Evo and everyone sold parts for that thing.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
RyeLou;1570100 said:
Everything is custom. The longest/most tedious part was the header/downpipe/exhaust stuff. To custom make that to fit took forever.

I can agree with that 100%, it took me a month to actually come up with routing that would work.

How did you do your crossover pipe?

RyeLou

May 16, 2010
MI
IJ.;1570200 said:
I can agree with that 100%, it took me a month to actually come up with routing that would work.

How did you do your crossover pipe?

I'll try to take pictures sometime soon and I'll post them up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RyeLou;1570119 said:
I'll end up getting a matched set or something more approraite anyhow soon enough.

You know, If you'd be interested, I have a set of Mk4 TT rims, 17x9.5 all around, +50 offset. Would have two good Nitto 555's on them, if you'd be interested, I wouldn't mind working out some sort of trade for the wheels you have there. Not in any hurry, but it's something to consider. :)