89+ Shine Auto JDM Front Lip Interest?

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Apologies if I missed it, but what will the lip be made of......the same black plastic as the stock lip? or will it need to be painted? Also, if my memory serves me correctly there was a long piece of metal for the stock lip that was used to bolt it on with.....is this necessary for the shine lip or can it be bolted on without it?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Shine lip will likely be FRP like their other products, because of this it will likely be slightly stiffer and would lend itself to being mounted without the reinforcement strip. It would still be better to mount it with it I would think. I believe their products come in a matte black with the ability to be painted.

Can anyone who has experience with any of their recent lips chime in on how flexible they are? I know they have revised their resins several times and its been quite a while since I have handled anything from them.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
SupraTrbo89;2061755 said:
Apologies if I missed it, but what will the lip be made of......the same black plastic as the stock lip? or will it need to be painted? Also, if my memory serves me correctly there was a long piece of metal for the stock lip that was used to bolt it on with.....is this necessary for the shine lip or can it be bolted on without it?

The lip would be made out of fiberglass. While it's better to install the metal bracket for added rigidity, it is not necessary.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
GC89;2061756 said:
Shine lip will likely be FRP like their other products, because of this it will likely be slightly stiffer and would lend itself to being mounted without the reinforcement strip. It would still be better to mount it with it I would think. I believe their products come in a matte black with the ability to be painted.

Can anyone who has experience with any of their recent lips chime in on how flexible they are? I know they have revised their resins several times and its been quite a while since I have handled anything from them.

Shine's FRP lips will absorb scraping and prolong the lips life, but is not resistant to cracking.

Shine has a "Super Hybrid FRP." The upside: super durable. The downside: the finish isn't very smooth, so when painted, it doesn't look as good as the regular FRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHMImrQQC5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLq3n95dxBM

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I would think these lips might be a good candidate for the hybrid frp, I for one plan on finishing it in black like the factory. A textured look would be similar to stock as well.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I just installed the type 2 shine auto lip yesterday. Fitment is spot on. Yes the texture is not smooth to the touch. Looks very robust. It is quite flexible when forced, otherwise it is rigid. I will not be painting.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
blk92suprat;2061805 said:
I just installed the type 2 shine auto lip yesterday. Fitment is spot on. Yes the texture is not smooth to the touch. Looks very robust. It is quite flexible when forced, otherwise it is rigid. I will not be painting.

As with all fiberglass parts, prep work is needed if you want a smooth finish

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
GC89;2061789 said:
I would think these lips might be a good candidate for the hybrid frp, I for one plan on finishing it in black like the factory. A textured look would be similar to stock as well.

Material choice, whether the regular frp or the super flexible will be up to each buyer

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
For the pre 89 people, what lip are we going to go with when all is said and done? These are going to be direct bolt on correct? I'm not a body guy at all. Thanks all for filling up the list!

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I hope Im not too late to the conversation, but its my understanding as per Mark at Vancouver Toyota that I was the guy who purchased the last known new jza70 lip that Toyota had on the shelf. He brought them all over to his dealership when he saw there was only 3 remaining in the system. I also got the brake ducts from a local tt-r part out. My lip might be used now but its still in excellent condition. If shine is interested in taking this project on Id be willing to let them use my stuff for a mold. Ive also got a bomex 3 hole lip that has been repaired, extensively but its in one piece again and I have a friend in Wa who has asked for it so send off to shine so a mold can be made, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to box the lips together with the brake ducts and send them down to Rancho (that's where shine was last time I checked at least)

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Jayhall;2062727 said:
I hope Im not too late to the conversation, but its my understanding as per Mark at Vancouver Toyota that I was the guy who purchased the last known new jza70 lip that Toyota had on the shelf. He brought them all over to his dealership when he saw there was only 3 remaining in the system. I also got the brake ducts from a local tt-r part out. My lip might be used now but its still in excellent condition. If shine is interested in taking this project on Id be willing to let them use my stuff for a mold. Ive also got a bomex 3 hole lip that has been repaired, extensively but its in one piece again and I have a friend in Wa who has asked for it so send off to shine so a mold can be made, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to box the lips together with the brake ducts and send them down to Rancho (that's where shine was last time I checked at least)

Wow, thanks! I think we had bhmsupra also expressing interest, a couple weeks back, of temporarily donating a JDM lip for Shine to make a mold as well.

But before any of that, we still need 2(!) more committed buyers for Shine to take us seriously and to even consider making something like this for us:

1. ERA
2. sheedy126
3. GC89
4. GreenChevelleSS
5. yhatzee89
6. Tyler Mitchell
7. gp-7mgte
8. supraguy@aol
9. Ichibaneye
10. akito
11. AbsoluteSpeed
12. dohc88
13. supranaut

Last edited:

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Man I really hope this comes through. I can't wait to have my hands on the Japan lip, even if it may not have brake ducts and is a replica

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
IchibanEye;2062051 said:
For the pre 89 people, what lip are we going to go with when all is said and done? These are going to be direct bolt on correct? I'm not a body guy at all. Thanks all for filling up the list!

As for the pre 89 people, I would suggest a pre 89 owner maybe starting another thread to gauge interest for an OEM style lip for their cars? Again, I think what Shine is looking for, or any business for that matter, would be to make something they know people are going to buy.

Ichiban, if you haven't already, do check out their website. They offer an aftermarket lip for the pre 89 based on the East Bear lip made for the 89+
(Item number: MA70-FL-GPre89, Spec G Lip):

shineg89.jpg

_mk3windingtreeroadfront.jpg

http://www.shineautoproject.com/portfolio/supra-mkiii-full-aero/

Also, I noticed you put your name on the list and based on your profile and your post quoted above, you've got a pre 89 Supra. Would you still be interested in possibly purchasing an 89+ JDM OEM-style lip from Shine?

Last edited:

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Again this thread is for anyone who is interested in possibly purchasing a new, 89+ JDM style front lip from Shine. The title of this thread has been changed to reflect that.

Last edited:

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
ERA;2062729 said:
Wow, thanks! I think we had bhmsupra also expressing interest, a couple weeks back, of temporarily donating a JDM lip for Shine to make a mold as well.

yeah no worries mate, I saw hes got one to I just wanted to let you know that Im willing to help too. Im going to keep an eye on this thread, I could maybe be talked into putting my name on that list just for the sake of having a spare, and maybe even hanging my real one on the wall and preserving it for future use, especially if its the last one or two that gets this project rolling

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
1. ERA
2. sheedy126
3. GC89
4. GreenChevelleSS
5. yhatzee89
6. Tyler Mitchell
7. gp-7mgte
8. supraguy@aol
9. akito
10. AbsoluteSpeed
11. dohc88
12. supranaut

@ ERA My fault. It was late and I did not notice the 89 and up designation. Sorry guys I'm bummed out too. Thanks for the other information on the pre 89 lip. If a thread for this has not been started maybe you could plant a seed with the Shine people for me. Then in the mean time I can gauge others interest in purchasing them. Man.....I was excited to finally get a front lip too

Last edited:

tito

Apr 6, 2011
California
1. ERA
2. sheedy126
3. GC89
4. GreenChevelleSS
5. yhatzee89
6. Tyler Mitchell
7. gp-7mgte
8. supraguy@aol
9. akito
10. AbsoluteSpeed
11. dohc88
12. supranaut
14. tito

I'm down for one. Also I'm in Los Angeles so I would be able to pick it up (if its made)

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
1. ERA
2. sheedy126
3. GC89
4. GreenChevelleSS
5. yhatzee89
6. Tyler Mitchell
7. gp-7mgte
8. supraguy@aol
9. akito